1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM134 Iroquois Demigod - Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

This is the thread where you tell us the whole story of your game and how in the end you did -- win, lose or retire.

Only read or post in this thread when your game is ended and successfully submitted.

2. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

I decided to abandon this game in the middle ages. Unfortunately, to start out, I popped barbarians from a hut nearby that suppressed initial expansion, and kept me confined to the peninsula. I did make a pretty decent military with mounted warriors, and made solid in-roads into Egypt (going as far south as taking and destroying Thebes), but it fell short. I obtained the Egyptian iron through force, but as soon as I did, 3 other Civs made a landing and immediately took over that city. I ended up taking it back two or three more times, but just couldn't hold it. I fell behind in tech, my military was decimated after trying to obtain and hold that iron, and it was just looking pretty hopeless. Finally I found myself at war with Babylon, and at this point they have the iron and I can't produce units quick enough to make any kind of positive gains. Basically all of my military production went towards holding my southern border, which I did, but that left zero room for any other kind of development.

I think if I didn't pop that initial hut, I would've expanded a bit further south, and would've been able to stifle Egypt and Babylon, at least enough to take and hold that iron earlier on, and establish my power on that side of the continent (Greece was a juggernaut on the other side). Oh well, maybe next game I'll do better. I have to stop being tempted by these goodie huts! I seem to only ever get barbarians!

3. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Remember, Goody Huts get worse at higher difficulty levels. This was demigod, so chances of a good content after a military pop were very small. Better to pop by settling, as positive results are then guaranteed. Barbarians also get much stronger in combat at this level. Use Archers to kill them, not Warriors.

bbrady413 likes this.
  4. CKS

CKS Deity

I settled in place and built my 20k city 2 S and 1 E. That was my farthest-south town for a long time. The barbs to the north caused me problems, killing a settler-spearman pair and a bunch of other units initially. After a run of about 10 battles where they never lost, they started losing every battle, and then they were gone. My little empire of 6 towns huddled together for a very long time, and I was pretty sure that I'd be collecting another red ambulance. (A green one would be a new addition to my collection, but this game wasn't going to get me one unless I was the only one submitting a loss.)

Suddenly I realized that Egypt wasn't doing so well, and I managed to get a bunch of towns from them, and then they were gone. Finally I had enough towns to build the forbidden palace in 1210; I was already well into the industrial age. Eventually I managed to take over Babylon and Greece, and a few towns from the Dutch, who'd taken them from local civs. I finally got a great leader taking the last unit of Babylon; it became a cavalry army which defeated a guerilla to let me build the heroic epic.

I was convinced that the Dutch were going to get a domination win for a very long time, but they stopped growing rather suddenly. I'm not sure why. By the time I had taken over Greece, my population was sufficient to stop them from domination, but they never started growing again, not even expanding into empty territory. They take up about half the space on the power graph from roughly 900 AD on. My power goes up about 8-fold, but it all comes at the expense of Egypt, Babylon, and Greece. As I get closer to the end, I keep expecting the Dutch to attack me, but they never do, instead declaring on the French with a few turns to go.

I got ahead in research as the AI went off into optional techs in the industrial age, and made it to the modern age about 3 techs ahead. When I finished the UN I only had about 30 turns before reaching 20k, so I didn't hold the vote. I hit 20k (actually 20,007- I think that is my closest to 20k ever) in 1820.

Culture builds in Niagara Falls:
    Temple 2390 BC
    Colossus 1500 BC
    Library 1300 BC
    Great Library 550 BC
    Colosseum 310 BC
    Sistine Chapel 280 AD
    Cathedral 290 AD
    University 360 AD
    Shakespeare's Theater 670 AD
    Newton's University 780 AD
    Bach's Cathedral 980 AD
    Universal Suffrage 1130 AD
    Forbidden Palace 1210 AD
    Theory of Evolution 1290 ADHoover Dam 1345 AD
    Wall Street 1370 AD
    Intelligence Agency 1400 AD
    Battlefield Medicine 1530 AD
    Heroic Epic 1580 AD
    Military Academy 1605 AD
    SETI 1670 ADResearch Lab 1675 AD
    Internet 1752 AD
    United Nations 1774 AD
    Cure for Cancer 1794 AD
    Longevity 1812 AD

5. Paul#42

Paul#42 flyball chaser

Domination Victory for Iroquois in 1030 AD
    Firaxis score: 9612
    Jason score: 9908
    Nice setup! I should start taking notes again :blush:, here's what I remember:
    I got my first MGL with an archer fighting the Egypt.
    I decided to get a despotic GA with just 5 towns using a Mounted Warrior Army to take out Egypt and Babylon.
    I researched Philosophy first but got only Polytheism per Slingshot, then researched Monarchy at min.
    I had planned to be quick enough to rule the world with my Mounted Warriors, short rushing them in big style. But I lost my army, when Greece attacked it with a sword :hammer2:
    And the ways to the front were getting longer and longer...
    I realized, Mounted Warriors would not get me the world and started researching again, first knights, later even MT.
    I then started wars everywhere, Dutch took out Maya and Incas for me, Celts took care of China before Riders came up.
    The fromer greek TGL-Town I gifted to France just before Education, took Entremont with ToA to conveniently expand per culture. It just took me some 20 units to keep it from flipping... :rolleyes:
    I researched MT quickly and upgraded some units, but only about one third of them, Mounted Warriors were my cheap forces till the end (att 3 for 30s is better investment than 4 for 70s and 6 for 80s). Muskets and dutch Pikes where too tough for them. So I upgraded and built some knights and cavs at high price, because the Dutch had built Leos, burried deeply in Amsterdam :aargh:.
    I allied Celts against Dutch, waited till their forces went south and backstabbed them, cutting resources and taking all their towns in some 5 turns.
    The Dutch were too stupid to connect their salt to the end... So I took five towns easily and reached domination limit in 1030.

6. milr

milr Chieftain

Got a reasonably early Leader I used to build my FP. Never got another FP, even though I won many elite battles. So I went defensive the rest of the game. Never caught up on techs, and that spelled my doom when the Dutch came roaring into my territory with overwhelming forces. Chose to quit rather than fight.

7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

bbrady, why are you so fixated on that iron? As the Iroquois, you don't need it -- at least not early on. All you need is Mounted Warriors. For me they were good enough to take out Egypt, Babylon and even the Greek Hoplites. Only later on, when I was up against the Dutch Mercenaries, I traded for Chivalry and upgraded to Knights. Otherwise it wouldn't have been fun... And by that time, iron was no longer a problem, I had 3 sources by then, the former Egyptian, Greek and Incan sources...

My game turned into a real bloody mess... I built 2-3 granaries, a few barracks, 2 marketplaces in the two cities, and then MWs on end. Not a single library, aqueduct or courthouse. I declared war on Babylon early on and signed Egypt and Greece up on my side. Then invaded Egypt, which didn't put up much resistance, picked up the remnants of Babylon and then marched into Greece. They offered a bit more resistance, but were broken in the end as well.

Then the game bogged down a bit: I had built a few ships and transferred MWs to the western end of the Netherlands, hoping to take them out before they got Feudalism. At the same time my western army continued into Incaland, but it got slowed down by a few annoying flips. Then the Dutch got Feudalism and immediately had Mercenaries everywhere. And on top of that, the Mayas sneak attacked me and cut my supply lines to the Inca front. At that point it turned into a real slugfest, I didn't make any real progress for quite some time, while war weariness was mounting to insane heights. (I even had to hire entertainers in my core, which I think I have never done in my life...)
    Fortunately I had some good luck with leaders, probably due to the early Heroic Epic. I also built the Pentagon in Salamanca and then with a handful of size-4 Knight-Armies, I was able to turn the tide and take up the offensive again. A few captured wonders and 8 luxuries then helped with the happiness problems. (France and China remained on my side until shortly before the end of the game, so I was able to trade their two luxes for most of the game.)

When I had enough of those flips, I started taking a city, keeping it for the first turn (to get the free unit upkeep) and then burned it down on the second turn. (Exceptions were made only for important wonders, or for small towns that did not yet have too much culture.) Also I had to disband a few towns once in a while in the later stages to avoid going over the domination limit. The last civ to bite the dust was China in 620 AD, and I also went 16 tiles over the dom limit in the following interturn for a true ConDom victory in 630 AD...

8. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

finally you are calling them what they are... Condom victories 4ever! ;)
    t_x

9. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

You still have that medal I gave you? :D

(Explanation for the "non-insiders": back in the old days we sometimes used to have a little "challenge" to go with our GOTMs/COTMs, like the first to win in a certain way. One month this happened to be: we were supposed to win via a combined "Conquest & Domination" victory, meaning you had to reach the domination limit in exactly the same turn that you extinguished the last opponent. templar_x won that competition, so in addition to the usual "fastest space race medal", "fastest 20K medal", etc. I designed a special "fastest ConDom medal" and presented it to him: condom.jpg

And right the week afterwards he annouced, that he (or rather his wife) was expecting their first baby... :D

Man, how time flies: now his little boy is already playing Civ3 with him, I heard. -- As is mine, if we can evade the Argus eyes of his mother... :mischief:)

10. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

:lol:

Story well told, Lanzelot!

Sure I still got that Award, and no 2nd child coming* since then, I guess I learnt how to use it by now. ;)

It was just today that I again was very proud of my nearly 7-years-old-one, when he stated how much more intelligent the game design of Civ was compared to MineCraft... ;D This is a very important comparison for him, as he is allowed to Play max 30 minutes of this or of that...

t_x

* I will refrain from using "spawning" here... ;)

11. supersova_SU

supersova_SU Warlord

Domination
    Game date: 630 AD
    Firaxis score: 11221
    Jason score: 10888
    Time played: 15:47:36

12. Memento

Memento The World is mine

1st Leader in 1750bc,build Army and waiting for MWs
    Sling in 1450bc, slow down research
    Build ToA in 800bc, next Round start the GA