1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM135 China Monarch - Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

This is the thread where you tell us the whole story of your game and how in the end you did -- win, lose or retire.

Only read or post in this thread when your game is ended and successfully submitted.

2. CKS

CKS Deity

Well, I was cruising along toward 20k when I got distracted by my wonderful family and forgot about ditching some cities until I'd already hit enter. I gained almost 200 tiles with the cultural expansion caused by the Internet and ended up with a domination victory instead. Domination in 1615, instead of 20k in about 1800.

The AI seemed awfully weak for monarch, and they were stupidly aggressive, which is what lead to me having too many towns.

It was a really nice 20k spot with ivory, plenty of food, and 112 shields after a coal plant.

3. Paul#42

Paul#42 flyball chaser

I was also attracted by the yummy 20k conditions...
    Triggering my third despotic GA in a row with my first wonder - what was GA in republic like, by the way? :rolleyes:
    My AC dominated my neighbours and the very first elite victory gave me an MGL - I thought it was useless because it could not form an army (only 3 towns back then) nor rush a "build" (a worker) but AlanH could teach me some forgotten rules...

So I made my capital 20k-town, destroyed wonder-concurring cities or their tile improvements and built almost all wonders but GLH and Magellans due to the missing coast and HG because some viking town was quicker.

Game status: Cultural 20K Victory for China
    Game date: 1670 AD
    Firaxis score: 4932
    Jason score: 8204

4. aobaki

aobaki Chieftain

Game status: Conquest Victory for China
    Game date: 390 AD
    Firaxis score: 7821
    Jason score: 11216

5. supersova_SU

supersova_SU Warlord

Domination
    Game date: 310 AD
    Firaxis score: 7871
    Jason score: 11272
    Time played: 12:37:27

6. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

The Internet is always a problem... Instead of ditching cities, I have come up with a different solution, which I used a couple of times already (not only in 20K, but also in 100K or spaceship games). Once I've almost reached the dom limit (like 50 tiles before dom), I start founding towns along my current border and gifting them to my friend. (If you download my final COTM 135 file, you will recognize these towns by their names "Grenze1", "Grenze2", ....) As a tile directly adjacent to a city center can never be taken away be another town, whose city center is 2 or more tiles away, this provides a "fireproof" stop to my culture expansion, no matter how much culture my own towns may accumulate. Once this "culture fence" around my territory is finished, I can build as much culture in all my towns as I want, without ever having to fear another overstepping of the dom limit.
    A bit care needs to be taken, where the coast is my border, but usually most coastal tiles are already inside my border, before I set up that fence, and the few that are not, can easily be counted and taken into account when setting up the fence. (And sea & ocean tiles don't count towards the dom limit.)

This is strange: I missed quite a few more wonders: in addition to the GLH, Colossus and Magellan, also Artemis, the Great Wall, Sun Tzu (and one more, if I remember correctly, need to check my .savs), but still the end date was a bit faster: 20K in 1595 AD. It will be interesting to compare our build order of wonders. I'll try to compile a list, once I get to the PC where I played the game.

7. CKS

CKS Deity

Yes, I've done this, too, although mostly in 100k games. And actually I wasn't planning to abandon the towns this time, just to give them away. Unfortunately, I was so far from the domination limit that I didn't get a warning, and when I got back to the game after my kids interrupted me, I had nothing to jog my memory until I saw the border expansion notifications.