1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM139 Portugal Demigod - Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

This is the thread where you tell us the whole story of your game and how in the end you did -- win, lose or retire.

Only read or post in this thread when your game is ended and successfully submitted.

2. CKS

CKS Deity

Well, it didn't take me any 12 days to lose. I've played it a couple more times since submitting, but the French declare on me early on each time and I die. I'm beginning to think they don't like me.

scout EE, worker W, settler SW to get more land for 20k.
    Settle, start curragh, worker roads, scout goes south. Start BW as lots of AI have CB and only Russia has BW. Hope to trade for CB.
    Pop hut for warrior.
    3800 meet France.
    2nd hut gives worker.
    3300 meet Russia, trade for CB, BW, Masonry and some gold.
    Dump shields into spearman as French warrior approaches
    start temple
    2670 meet Egypt, trade for the wheel
    French declare, I die.

3. Più Freddo

700 AD Conquest (and Domination).

4. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

410AD Dom (only Domination :))
    score in the 12*** area.
    t_x

5. Più Freddo

Wow!

It was a nice map.

6. templar_x

it was! i will try to write a bit more tonight. i especially liked (and somehow expected) that the carracks for once could come to a good use.
    i am not too happy with my game and result, as one war went completely wrong, when i had to fight the Russians in their GA... this, i think, has cost me a few turns. and my trades with the other contintent were far from optimal as well.
    what really went well afair was how i incorporated France. them being so close, this was practically key for a good date.
    finding that kinda large island north of the other continent on the other hand helped, as gains were becoming a bit slower at that time against the 3 remaining civs.
    t_x

7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

So in your opinion, was it too difficult for the average player? I hoped I had made the start position good enough, so that anyone should get a chance to survive (and eventually win), but CKS's report made me a bit uneasy...

8. Più Freddo

Who is the average player in a set of six to ten players, or rather, what would the average say about such a small set with such large variance? I think it was a very nice Demigod map, and the start was indeed bountyful as is the GOTM tradition at higher levels. The difficulties kicked in later, as the AI was acutually able to both research and build troops well into the Middle Ages. Which is just what you want and expect from a Demigod game, what makes it fun to play. Thanks!

9. CKS

CKS Deity

I think it was fine. It was certainly not my earliest exit from a GOTM. Because the start was so nice, I tried to play towards 20k, leaving myself weak militarily. It was a risk that didn't pay off. I may come back to it after the Roman game and build nothing but units for a while to see how that goes.

10. templar_x

what i can gather from the few notes i made...
    bc2310 met last civ
    1550 revolt
    1450 Republic. find the 1-tile-islands :eek:
    1225 start war against France
    730 France gone
    650 find that India+Egypt know each other, so plan to keep continents apart fails
    590 ally everyone against strongest overseas India, so to trigger their GAs against each other
    450 my first and only MGL despite so many e wins moves the palace inland. not sure whether an army against GA-Russia wouldn´t have been better.
    150 war against Russia starts

ad50 my GA starts (a Chinese vessel destroys itself against a Carrack just when i was seeking out for a target)
    250 Russia gone, they were harder to fight than necessary in their wonder-induced GA
    310 Egypt gone
    340 end of GA
    390 Yanks gone
    410 domination

t_x

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  11. Paul#42

Paul#42 flyball chaser

20k in 1782AD...
    Great setup, once again!

Because Colussus and GLH would trigger an unwanted despotic GA, it was an easy decision to settle inland.
    My 2nd city by the gems managed to build ToA, KT, Shakespeare, Sistines, US, ToE and everything else after Hoovers.
    However, the oversea powerhouse India beat me to Bach's by a turn and to Cope's and Newton's. No chance at that time to sack their cities.

My GA was triggered by a redlined carrack against an indian vessel.
    To take my home continent was quite difficult, France was very strong, so I took out Egypt and Russia first while picking off cheap slow French units for MGL farming after their sneak attack.
    On my continent I was the only one using knights, cavs (and armies), France and Russia never got their GA, Egypt used their despostic GA to lose lots of cheap troops at the russian borders.

India was in tech lead in the beginning of the Middle Ages. So I spared them for later.
    Before tanks I invaded America, keeping India neutral most of the time. To Tanks I was first, building 30 of them, before India came close to researching motorized transportation.
    Invading India was a different story, my tanks had to fight lots and lots of tough infantries and pesky cavs, it was quite a take-and-retake of the former american towns for a while.
    Not expanding culturally (close to dom limit) left a lot of railed tiles for quick raids for them and me, so I spread slaves on roaded tiles in neutral territory to slow down their cavs.
    Railroads and like six armies helped me to end it, before ww urged me to take the lux slider to over 50%.
    At the end, America was playing OCC on the three-tile island to the north.
    Finally, it was clicking enter and waiting for the 20k at 135cpt.