1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM145 France Sid - Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

This is the thread where you tell us the whole story of your game and how in the end you did -- win, lose or retire.

Only read or post in this thread when your game is ended and successfully submitted.

2. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain Supporter

4,000 B.C. > My fellow Gauls elected me their leader and granted me absolute power. The Gods granted me life until the end of my people, and the responsibility of leading them well and wisely. This is the story of my reign. The burden is heavy but my first command comes easily: I order my people to settle in place, and we build a small town on the banks of a rich river. Eureka!, our capital, is founded.

Our worker is sent north, then northeast, to irrigate the pastures where cattle will give us milk and beef. We build roads to connect these resources to our town. Eureka! will have abundant food for our people, and that is good, but I must soon develop natural resources so that we can build an army. There are constant unsettling rumors of hostile tribes in distant and not-so-distant lands. Defense must be an early priority.

3,000 – 2,000 B.C. > We Gauls have built two Warrior units that will protect Eureka! and our worker. They will also be able to explore some our surroundings, but I do not want them to wander far for they are weak.

I have directed our scientists research the fabrication of bronze. If we tip our spears with this substance our fighting class can better defend the nation we now call France. This research will take many years and I fear that there are tribes out there that already possess this knowledge. Would they use their advanced weaponry to enslave us if I give them the opportunity? I am sure of it. We will all rest easier when we have Jeanne d’Arc units protecting us.

2,000 – 1,000 B.C. > Eureka!’s population is booming. I am sending settlers out to the east and west. Our warriors have explored the land and it is fertile and good: no volcanoes, no wetlands, no jungles! God has been good to us.

We hear rumors of other nations: Russians, Austrians, Hittites, Mayans and Englishmen. It is not until 1910 B.C. that we make our first peaceful contact with another civilization, Austria. We trade our knowledge of the Alphabet for Ceremonial Burial and 54 gold coins.

I do not have a good map but I think we live on a large continent with no barbarians. The Austrians occupy the land southeast of us and a fairly narrow isthmus connects their homeland to ours. I can see a multitude of Austrian settlers headed towards land that I intend to develop so I order the isthmus closed off. My warriors form a human shield and the Austrians turn back peacefully. I suspected that this would trigger war so I ramped up production of the newly available Jeanne d’Arc hoplites. For this reason or some other the attack I feared never comes. My military grows prodigious.

On Christmas Day, 1625 B.C. iron ore is discovered just outside our capital. Production of swordsmen begins immediately. And just in time, for Russians appear to our west and north. I must prepare our defenses.

1,000 B.C. – 0 A.D. > My merchants begin to trade with the Russians and the Austrians. I hope that interdependence will allow me avoid a costly war:

I give the Austrians Wine in exchange for silk and gold;
    I give the Russians Gems, Wine, and 8 Gold for the knowledge of horseback riding, and then discover horses in my territory.

Meanwhile our settlers are streaming out over the continent and establishing a large number of French cities and towns, but I have no real plan for placement or spacing of my towns. There is a logical and efficient pattern for city placement, but I do not know it and my people suffer.

Finally in 10 B.C. comes the first serious challenge to my people: the Russians demand tribute. My seers tell me that I am on the “Sid Level” and that war might devastate my people. I consider giving in, but I finally tell the Cossacks to go scratch. I expect an immediate declaration of war but the Russians back down. My people have gained the respect of their neighbors. I have gained their confidence as a leader.

0 A.D. – 510 A.D. > My time as despot ends in 110 A.D. when my people call me King; a Monarchy is established. Our economy improves with this change, but in 510 A.D. I encourage dissolution of the Monarchy and we establish the French Republic. Maintaining our military is now expensive, but we have many cities producing wealth and can support the military class.

Another challenge comes, and this time from Austria. They amass a large army on our southern border. I have many swordsmen and horsemen now but none have ever seen battle. I want them to taste the blood and sweat of war, so I mass my troops on the border with Austria as a reciprocal provocation, but I keep my army outside of the city walls. I fear a cultural flip and the loss of my troops. That would be fatal. Finally the Austrians cross the border into France. I demand they withdraw or declare war and they back away! This happens twice more and finally the Austrian army heads south and engages the Hittites. My people have stared down the enemy twice now and we have avoided war, but I don’t know if this is good or bad. Our troops are inexperienced and a short, intense war would have given them experience. Perhaps we would have taken a city, generated a great leader, or at least winnowed our expensive army. It is the duty of a leader to make these decisions and I made mine. The Gods know if I made the correct choice. (I later learn that there are only a handful of Austrian cities to my south, then a long isthmus of bog. If I had known this I might have attacked.)

In this time of peace I direct my governors to build aqueducts, temples, coliseums and courthouses. Peace will not last, but I will take this opportunity to build my culture and my infrastructure. I am surprised that the French nation is so healthy and happy after this long and against such long odds. We have not yet drawn our swords in anger. I am content to have a happy and peaceful nation. I do not want to rule the world, but we will not acquiesce to an overlord.

510 A.D. – 1300 A.D. > In 870 A.D. my military advisor tells me that the English have the F-15! Sacre bleu! If this is true – and I am still not sure – I am at their mercy. Craftily I negotiate a mutual protection pact with their Queen in exchange for gems. This seems like a good deal at the time, but by 880 A.D. I am forced into war with Russia and the Mayans when they attack England. I quickly lose a small northern city to the Russians, and then see that Austria is massing troops at my southern border. I cannot fight three enemies at once so I offer them right of passage. Good call! Their troops, and they have a massive number of them, march through my lands and attack the Russians to my north, eventually driving them off the continent. To make up for the loss of Poitiers to the Russians I take the even larger city of Krasnoyaik from them to my west. Finally in 110 A.D. I negotiate peace with Russia (I give territory map) and the Mayans (I get 20 gold). I think the Russians have been driven off my continent. I have Austrians to my north and south, but good relations with them. I still do not have a world map, and I do not have contact with all the civilizations of the world. I need to work on that.

I am pleased that France has survived this far. My initial plan was for my people to merely survive, but with my new confidence I begin to dream of even greater glory. Perhaps we French can someday occupy a position of pre-eminence! We will never have the greatest military, our culture is weak, we have no great wonders, our scientists are mediocre, and we have no navy. But perhaps we can establish strong enough diplomatic relationships with all the nations that we can exert our influence subtly. My plan now is to build a United Nations make friends with everyone (kiss everyone’s ass), and perhaps get elected Secretary-General. All future research will be directed towards fission, the pre-requisite to build the U.N.

<At this point, with visions of glory dancing in my head, computer issues forced me to quit the game. Blame the Austrians! Their PediaIcon.txt file is corrupted and I am not savvy enough to insert the proper file despite the gracious assistance of Piu Freddo. No matter. I have gotten far enough and my people and I will be spared the indignity of the inevitable Ai invasion with its attendant rape, pillage, and plunder.>

3. Più Freddo

It's really not that difficult. Have your son help you!

4. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

everything went nicely, i could settle our part of the island in a good pattern, the FP location was prepared well, the combo factory produced enough Jeannes, my ships met everyone soonish, i had the chokepoint blocked so no Austrians got through. i even made the slingshot, for Monarchy, and felt absolutely happy how the game has progressed so far. but then, when i started my first war to create elites and hopefully an MGL and an army, 5 Austrian archers killed 4 fortified Jeannes on a hill on the chokepoint, as if they were regular warriors. this felt so ridiculous, I am not sure whether the motivation for this game will return. definitely pausing for a month for now...
    t_x

Edit: one thing i got wrong above was that i did not make the slingshot here, i confused that with the Deity Aztecs story. Rather i self-researched Rep and could trade myself into the MA with it.
    Thanks for pointing out that I should not have posted here yet, I won´t look into the thread again, however, I am pretty sure I won´t continue this game.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 5:59 PM
  5. Più Freddo

That's a SID SOUR. I didn't progress as nicely as you describe in my test games, but I also didn't have such bad luck.

Please be careful with reading this thread going forward, as it is still under the old rules and technically mustn't be read or posted to until the game has been submitted! Do finish your game and tell us how it went!