1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM149 America, Regent -- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

COTM 149 America Regent

location_img-2727-978155277-88.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain Supporter

COTM_149 Opener.jpg COTM 149/ America/ Regent Level
    Young Abraham Lincoln is mysteriously transported many millennia into the past and is now the leader of a young tribe of vagabonds. His people are expansionist and industrious, and start the game with knowledge of pottery and masonry. Some of the tribesmen have visions of F-15s instead of normal jet fighters when they smoke peyote, but that is a dream for the future. The starting location is shown below. It is favorable for the Young Americans... COTM_149 Opener.jpg

3. Più Freddo

Pre-Game Discussion

No spoiler information from after opening the game save file is allowed!

4. Più Freddo

Well, many shields and few sandwiches. I will probably build a second Scout, some Warriors and then a Granary

5. CKS

CKS Deity

Since I managed a diplomatic win in COTM 148, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this game. I think I'll move the worker east to the riverside BG and send the scout NW. If I don't find anything wonderful, I'll settle in place and try to decide on a victory condition.

6. jarred!

jarred! Prince

I looked at the previous games this year, and found that few players completed the Spaceship/Diplomatic VCs so far. I found 4 SS and 1 Diplo finish so far. So, I figure this quarter should have more of these VCs.

Probably send scout to the mountain 2NE to make sure that's a cow in the fog to the ENE, then send worker to the E BG and I anticipate settling in place. Irrigate cow and FP (no disease) for a 4T settler pump. I hope barbs are low, I might try to wait on military and have scouts pop huts. Isn't it true if I have no military units, huts wont't pop barbs?
    That said, start build queue will probably be scout>gran and pump settlers and then workers for a while.

7. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

if you´re EXP, huts never pop barbs for you. ;)
    t_x

8. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Here's to finding zero barbarian encampments then!

9. Captain_Jack

Is that starting location on the sea or does the settler need to move SW one tile to get the benefit of river and ocean?

10. Più Freddo

You designed the game, you should know. We who didn't design the game must open the save to see if the water tile -- which is adjacent to the starting location -- is sweet or salty. So this topic is off limits in the pre-discission phase of this conversation.

11. Captain_Jack

So sorry. But I am looking forward to feedback in a few months regarding the world.

12. Più Freddo

13. Più Freddo

OCN or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the optimal city number, i.e. being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace, or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever comes earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

14. jarred!

jarred! Prince

The tile 1E of the starting location was a coast tile (salty), so settling in place was settling on the river and 'sea.'

I reached size 12 in 975 or 950BC via worker join. I only placed 8 towns on the starting island. I was thinking about playing for SS but I'll probably build the UN and win a diplomatic victory.

15. Captain_Jack

Did you notice the intentional resemblance of the island to the United States?

16. CKS

CKS Deity

I decided to do 20k. I settled in place, and then wondered later if I should have wandered around a bit to find more shields. I haven't bothered to count, though, and things worked out well in the end.

I didn't notice any resemblance to the US. I did enjoy the island-to-ourselves-but-many-near-neighbors situation. The starting lands were really overflowing with resources, which will be nice for my son, if I can convince him to play this game. Regent is still a bit above his level, but he had fun the last game he tried, and this one is easier than that one was. Before I started the game, I told him I thought we'd get a good start; I didn't expect one this good, though.

I kept notes for a while:
    Worker east to BG, scout NW,N, settle in place, start CB at max.
    Luxes and BG galore.
    Hut gives maps. 2nd hut gives worker.
    3400 Meet Germany.
    Warrior dies at barb camp.
    3rd hut gives WC
    1910 Meet Rome, trade CB for BW, swap Washington to Colossus.
    1740 Meet Inca
    1375 Meet Vikings, revolt.
    610 Inca demand and declare

17. Più Freddo

No, I actually did not. So settling in place should have been Tampa? I then walked all the way to the Potomac for founding Washington...?

18. Più Freddo

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

19. Più Freddo

At the start of the game, Cattle was visible E, NE, which invited me to make the following moves: Scout E, N. Settler N. Worker E. Next turn, Settler and Worker both NE. Worker starts roading Cattle, Settler E. Washington was founded in 3850 BC in a very cosy-looking spot, which later turned out to be just perfect. In the same turn, the Scout popped the first hut down in "Florida", giving us a second industrious Worker! This made it possible to construct a Granary in Washington, using a Farmer's Gambit, already in 3250 BC at size 3, and thence pairs of Warriors and Settlers in six, five and then every four turns. And as if this start wasn't strong enough, the Scout going counter-clockwise around the island in 3600 popped a City from the next Goody Hut, New York on the NW coast, making us meet the Germans as well.

I placed the cities in RCP3 around the capital. Yes, this is Conquests, but I wasn't aware of that at the time.

2850 BC Found Boston
    2670 BC Found Philadelphia
    2510 BC Found Atlanta
    2310 BC Found Chicago
    2190 BC Connect Ivory
    2030 BC Connect Dyes
    1990 BC Found San Francisco

With this setup, I could research really fast:

3050 BC Discover Alphabet
    2510 BC Discover Writing 2110 BC Discover Code of Laws

Somewhere around here, I decided to go for Space. After having spent 19, 12 and 10 turns on the initial Technologies, from this point on, I would research each Technology in either 4 or 5 turns with the exception of Astronomy, for which I used a whopping 6 turns.

2030 BC Meet Rome
    2030 BC Learn Iron Working
    2030 BC Learn The Wheel
    1910 BC Discover Philosophy
    1910 BC Discover The Republic

Early in Republic, and being on an island, I quickly switched Washington from Settler Factory to Powerhouse and started collecting science-promoting Wonders.

1300 BC Build The Colossus

I did have to spend 7 turns in Anarchy and entered the Middle Ages in 1075 BC. Germany and Greece both got Engineering. The Byzantines got Monotheism. I could trade for both.

1000BC.jpg