1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM149 America, Regent -- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain

[Yes, the location was meant to be ideal. Did you worry that wandering your first settler for three turns was too long? I would not have dared to wait so long.

Also, I have a question about the maps. Is Boston considered two tiles North of San Francisco, or is it two tile NW?

2. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Boston is 2N of San Francisco.

No, at this low difficulty level and with the Cattle tile in plain sight I had no qualms whatsoever to go wandering.

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I once wandered 6 turns, leaving a jungle area until I found a river and a cow. That was definitely worth it.

But back to the game: I went 1E to get the cow into the first ring. As I planned to go for 20K this time, settling on a BG did not matter too much, as Washington was to build only one settler and then go size 12 asap anyway. (The shield from the BG is "recovered", when the city reaches size 7.)
    My scout soon popped a settler from a hut, which I then walked to the wheat tile to found my second town. GA was started quite early, around 1100 BC, and then virtually every wonder I wanted was mine. I lost only 4 wonders to the AI the entire game: the Great Lighthouse, Artemis, the Great Wall and the Knight's Templar. And unfortunately the game was over, before I had a chance to build the last three wonders: Longevity, Manhattan and the Hoover Dam. The remaining two AIs were still in the early Middle Ages, when the game ended in 1525AD. (I had gifted the 3 scientifics into the Modern Age, but then eliminated them right afterwards as to not run any risks of cascades.)

There are only two free spots in the Wonder list:

Washington.png

Has anyone ever managed to fill all 24 spots? I don't know if it's possible: if you build the wonders too fast, you will reach 20K before you manage to build all wonders (like in this game), and if you build them too slowly, the AI might snatch a total of 6 or more wonders, and then there are not enough left to fill all spots?!

So anyway, 20K victory was reached in 1525AD.

PS: something strange I noticed in the Replay at the end of the game: the Netherlands got the Great Leader Abel at some point. I assume that is the famous Mathematician Niels Henrik Abel, so that must have been a scientific leader, not a military leader?! Have SGLs been turned on for this game?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  4. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain

You made it look easy! I won this game too, but in the modern times. I'm impressed with a 1525 victory.

5. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

no early town for me... :(
    but a nice 1435 AD 20k victory :)

however, i fear i cannot find my notes anymore. or i haven´t taken any. not sure.

t_x

6. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

not true... here the notes are! not that they are really helpful...

Find 1 tech and 2 workers
    Meet Germany early, 2030 Rome, Scandinavia, 1475 Inca

order of events and builds in the capitol:
    Temple
    Settler
    Colossus
    Pyras
    MoM
    Small lib
    SoZ
    Col
    GLib
    Oracle
    Cath
    HG
    ToA
    Uni
    TGLight
    I lose the Great Wall
    Shake´s
    Pollution on the iron hill in the MA… costs me one turn on next wonder
    Sistine´s (so no more cascades will be possible)
    Newton´s (>100cpt now)
    KT´s
    I lose Sun Tzus (AI´s out of the wonder game now)
    Factory rushed
    IW (pushes me to far over 100spt)
    Coal Plant short rushed
    Cope´s
    JSB
    Magellan´s
    Leo´s
    Smith´s
    US (deliberately 5 turns for next tech so to finish on time with next available ToE!)
    Gifting the Scientifics up so that one maybe discovers Nat doesn´t work. Let´s see whether the Agency will ever be built then…
    ToE
    Wall Street
    Hoover
    MA
    BM
    2 wormies
    Pentagon
    Market
    Bank
    Stock Exchange
    Mass transportation
    Cruiser as a 1 turn fill-in
    SETI (losing 1 turn to pollution L)
    Research lab
    Internet
    UN
    Nuclear plant (pointless, only gets me to 199spt, but does not matter for the date anyway)
    Manhattan (unfinished)

General:
    1600 full sling
    1575 revolt, 4 turns
    Germans demand/declare for WH
    Join for size 12 in Rep
    1350 GA with Pyras
    800 MA

Ad
    830 finally i get my first MGL for an army to make HE available
    1305 Modern Age, timed with an army prebuild in case i get a 1st tier tech… but i turn up with the culture-wise useless and still expensive Ecology and Rocketry L
    Only barely can maintain 4-turn research. 156cpt.
    1435ad 20k victory

t_x

7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I guess the IronWorks made the difference here? At the place, where I founded Washington, it was not possible... :(

8. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Nice games! As I said, my research was a mix of four and five turns, resulting in a Space Race victory in 1200 AD.

9. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain

TemplarX: That is truly a fantastic 20k city. I have never had so many wonders all in one place, or even spread throughout my empire. Great work.