[C3C] COTM153 Ottomans, Regent -- Spoilers

Upon victory, the game crashes because some "austria" related file is missing.
Più Freddo will be able to explain in better detail, but as the game designer I have responsibilities that I hope I have met.
> I don't remember if Austria is one of the civilizations in COTM_153. If it is then there is a pediacon file that must be added to your computer to make it play properly. It was easy to add and I did it myself, but Più Freddo had to explain to me how to do it and I can't find the information to give to you.
> If Austria is one of the rival civilizations I couldn't reveal that at the start of the game, and can't do so now (I honestly don't remember.), but it's a good file to have in there.
> I had the program crash for me during a prior victory when I launched the space ship. I sent the file just prior to the crash to AlanH as my submission and he was able to make it work. I think he played out the last turn on his computer. As always, he is super helpful. I'm sure you'll still get credit for the win.

you would run into Austria during the game , ı think it is also mentioned in download page where ı got the start save .

Just my opinion, Bob, just my two cents. I was here posting in my role as normal player, not as organizer. Sorry for the confusion. You and all are free to play whatever mode you want. No victory condition is solicited.

will agree to a thing but it took me until 1920 something to see the map and what ı should have been doing instead . Takes a bit of squinting , and some lore of a thing not as famous as it used to be . (Because a second shape reinforced the first .) Won by 100K , filling me with a desire to replay it on monarch ... Even fired up Civassist but it seems either ı have forgotten how to get the seed number or competition games have a way to block that . Can ı get the seed after the end of competition ?

Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

Won by 100K

Please respect the spoiler rules. We are now soliciting spoilers up to the point where you are allowed to build the Forbidden Palace OR where you have a city of size 12, BUT NO FURTHER!

I'm sorry I can't answer the question about the seed. I have no idea.

sorry , ı wasn't aware it would be considered against the rules . My thanks to Captain_Jack as he provided a solution to my question .

It has been a long time since I played a GOTM and even longer since I have submitted a finished save file. The only one I remember submitting is, I think, GOTM 14 Babylon and maybe one other near that time. After that there has been a number of G/COTM that I tried to play, but for a number of reasons(sometimes other games distracting me) I was never able to finish before the end of the month. Now with a 3 month span, maybe I can get back into this. I don't think there was any kind of spoiler threads back then and if there was I didn't end up contributing to them. So, enough blabbing, let's get on with it...

****************************************************************************************

Goal for Victory
Before starting I thought about it and figured my typical action would be taking full advantage of the Sipahi and going full bore conquest or domination. But maybe this time I will utilize the scientific trait and try for a diplomatic or spaceship win. Currently, with being 89 turns in, I am still going for a science-type win. If it happens that I go the diplomatic route, I need to 'remove':mischief: my two neighbors without anyone else knowing that they existed and replace them with science farms. We'll see how it goes.

Exploration
Have built a total of 7 curraghs for exploring and 5 have been lost at sea. The very first one built found the small islands to the west, survived a turn on the open ocean and is still going around what appears to be a small continent. For right now, there will be no more suicide ships built. Any galleys I build from now on will be for blocking any Austrian or Iroquois ships coming my way. Here is a map showing the curragh excursions-
curraghs.jpg

Contacts and Trades

As of 775 B.C. I have 3 contacts and visual sighting of a yellow border on the western island/continent.
  1. Austria met in 2750 B.C.
  2. Iroquois met in 2070 B.C.
  3. Yellow border spotted on western continent in 1100 B.C.
  4. Persia met in 1000 B.C.
Only 3 trades have become available so far and Persia was a little protective of Horseback Riding.
  • Alphabet to Austria for Warrior Code and 10g.
  • Writing to Austria for Iron Working.
  • Mysticism & Writing to Persia for Horseback Riding.

Tech Advances
I am short Math, Currency, Construction, Polytheism and Literature is currently being researched. Obviously don't have Monarchy either, but I don't want it. Being on Regent surely helps with the Republic slingshot and the Ottomans are currently in anarchy.

Goody Huts and Barbarians
In 2710 B.C. I got a settler from a goody hut. Wasn't it supposed be only workers from huts? The settler was going to spend what would be an enormous amount of time moving closer to the capital, but when I moved on top of the mountain an Austrian settler appeared in the fog right behind me. So I moved off the mountain and settled immediately to try and block. Fortunately the Austrian moved back to the east.
settler west of Austria.jpg

From goody huts I got the following-
  • settler
  • barbarians
  • The Wheel
  • Mysticism
  • barbarians
There was a goody hut on the north shore on a peninsula and I have heard if you settle next to a hut you will get only good things, but I wanted my town right where the hut was. So I tried to block where barbarians might pop up with my warriors and I ended up getting Mysticism. Did my warriors 'block' the possibility of getting barbarians or did I just end up drawing the card of a tech?
mysticism from hut.jpg

Strategic Resources and Luxuries
Having the 2 luxuries with a third on the small island to the west is nice. Having little or now luxuries can be compensated for in several ways, but what I find discomforting is a lack of either iron or horses. The Wheel was acquired in 1275 B.C. and I look around and use the Control-Shift M to clear the map and no horses!:(:cringe::sad::mad:
A mixture of emotions comes over me. I really like having access to horses; I am very fond of the mobility of the horseman/knight/cavalry. So I keep looking and of course the Austrians have horses. And after some quick thinking Operation: Snipe is concocted to steal horses right from under the Austrians noses. On the last turn of this set Riza is established to steal horses from Austria and what do you know, they already have it roaded for me.:smug: At a future date I will have to express my thanks by giving them a grand horse parade thru all of their cities.
snipe horses.jpg

Forbidden Palace
Finally got the FP announcement on the interturn before 775 B.C. and then saved and haven't played for almost 2 weeks until we can post now. I thought the FP would require 14 towns, but it seems it required 18 towns.

Future Plans
  • Fortify Riza with additional units.
  • Build Forbidden Palace.
  • Libraries in high commerce cities.
  • Barracks cities prepare for Austrian invasion.
  • Get incense online from the small island.
  • and overall head for modern age.

Last edited:
wonder making will really benefit this game .

Goal: Space ship victory?
Or 20k culture b/c tech lead.
Will need military b/c extra crammed.

T0: Minimap towards bottom, river probably leads to water. Will settle along river.
Will aim for a settler factory in capitol with goal of: 4 turner.
8 shields, ... 6 8 8 10
Will clear forests to chop for early granary.

T1: move worker to irrigate, upon settling-in-place see that there is a lot of coast nearby.
will expand away from coast, but want to get curraghs out as soon as I have alphabet.
T2: road first for commerce

3450: two warriors. pop ceremonial burial
3250: pottery comes in. next tech alphabet for curraghs
3000 BC: Pop a settler! Bursa: Worker in 10 (Note this is extremely far from the capital, but i settle it in place in order to use it as a worker factory. after all no barbs.
2950 BC: Istanbul: Granary->Worker
2850 BC: Ist: Worker-> Settler
2630 BC: Ist: S->S
2590 BC: Pop angry barbs take advantage of regent combat bonus lol
2550 BC: Found Iznik on BG
2470 BC: Ist: S->S
2310 BC: Ist: S->S. Uskadar
Discover Austria on my island?!
2190 BC: Iznik: C->C. Izmit founded on dyes
2150 BC: Ist: S->S
1990 BC: Ist: S->S. Few more curraghs too
1910 BC: Finally meet austria. share a continent. they have three cities, need alphabet pottery ceremonial burial. i need warrior code.
1675 BC: curraghs discover iriquois on same continent. 45 g + worker for ceremonial
1325 BC: suicide curraghs meet big continent: philo & map making vs wheel warrior code iw myst math
1200 BC: teching towards math. hoping to pop republic. meet persia. ceremonial burial & writing for wheel? austrians have iron that i need. goal
1125 BC: iron randomly appeared in my territory? no more need to attack them.
1000->975 BC: Forbidden Palace can be built

My goals are still to find more civs and tech more. Will update spoiler with pictures of progress.

upload_2020-10-17_21-52-28.png

My dot map as of popping the settler. I was the lowest in territory for a while... So that probably helped pop one.
upload_2020-10-17_21-53-40.png

@ Forbidden palace spoiler deadline. Plans to destroy Austria soon? Maybe ally the Iriquos against them, even if I eventually want to destroy them!

As I said in the pre-game discussion, this was definitely going to be Pigs in
Space. A nice high-commerce four-turner was visible at the starting location and
we were an industrious, scientific tribe with a Cavalry-type unique unit on
continents able to provide us with a Golden Age just at the right time, the
beginning of the Industrial Times -- at a cost of four turns of resarch.

So Istanbul built a Warrior, a Granary (3050 BC), Wealth for one turn and then
four-turn Settlers at size 5.0 -- 7.0. This would go on for some time, because
there was plenty of space to cover.

I founded Edrine to the NE at distance 4 by the Cattle on Plains by the River. I
didn't know at the time that this would turn out to be an extremely strong
location. Bursa in the N was another nice surprise with Game on Plains by a
River. Iznik was placed by the Dyes, and then I was blessed with two more
powerhouses: Uskudar in Bonus Grassland by the Coast and Izmit by the second
Game on Plains tile. At this time I was recceing the surroundings and had
started to think I might just be on Gilligan's Island. In 1750 BC I had
constructed a road to the Wines in the north and placed the next city there.

Pink borders in the E belonged to Più Freddo of the Austrians. What a pleasant
surprise! I shut Austria off from ever entering this side of the Alps with three
Warriors. I would place cities there soon enough, but first I planned to finish
a double-ring core constellation around the Capital.

4000 BC Found Istanbul
2670 BC Found Edrine
2510 BC Found Bursa
2350 BC Found Iznik
2230 BC Connect Dyes
2150 BC Found Uskudar
1950 BC Found Izmit
1750 BC Found Aydin
1750 BC Connect Wines
1700 BC Found Antalya
1575 BC Found Konya
1525 BC Found Sinop
1425 BC Found Kafa
1300 BC Found Ankara
1100 BC Found Salonika
1075 BC Found Mugla
1025 BC Found Bolu
1025 BC Connect Iron
1000 BC Found Urfa
0875 BC Found Bingol​

I have seen that some players have popped a Settler. But there's nothing wrong
with the game design: I popped a Worker. I did succeed with the The Republic
slingshot and then, unconventionally, went for Map Making in order to meet more
Tribes and colonize the nearby island with Horses and Incense. Bingol was
founded on this island. Eventually suicide Curraghs exchanged contacts with the
Zulu and the Spanish on another continent.

2230 BC Pop Hut Warrior: Worker
2190 BC Pop Hut Warrior: Barbarian
1910 BC Meet Austria
1830 BC Pop Hut Warrior: Barbarians
1350 BC Establish Anarchy
1325 BC Meet Zululand
1250 BC Meet Iroquois
1175 BC Establish Republic
1125 BC Meet Spain​

The scientific results of the Ottoman Tribe are the following. I think viable
for a decent Space Contest. Actually, all research after The Republic was in
four turns per Technology plus a seven-turn hiatus for Anarchy. As expected at
this difficulty level, support from the Competition was very weak.

4000 BC Discover Masonry
4000 BC Discover Bronze Working
3250 BC Discover Pottery
2350 BC Discover Alphabet
1790 BC Discover Writing
1475 BC Discover Code of Laws
1350 BC Learn Warrior Code
1350 BC Learn The Wheel
1350 BC Learn Ceremonial Burial
1350 BC Discover The Republic
1350 BC Discover Philosophy
1325 BC Learn Iron Working
1075 BC Discover Map Making
1000 BC Learn Mysticism
0975 BC Discover Literature
0875 BC Discover Mathematics​

In 850 BC, Forbidden Palace was available and its construction started in
Edrine.

we were an industrious, scientific tribe with a Cavalry-type unique unit on
continents able to provide us with a Golden Age just at the right time, the
beginning of the Industrial Times -- at a cost of four turns of resarch.

I'm also aiming at a research game (UN), but I have to say, that for my taste the Sipahi-triggered GA is a bit too late for a fast research game. I like to trigger my GA around the time of Education to help with the construction of the Universities. Ok, in our case this is not that important, as we get half-priced Universities, but anyway, an earlier GA is still not bad, because it helps to conquer your neighbors more quickly... This has two benefits:
  1. The earlier you capture enough land, the earlier the science farms will be up and running. (You need some time to irrigate all that land, ICS it and let the towns grow.)
  2. If I can eliminate the civs on my continent (and possibly even on another continent), before they get contact to the rest of the world, it won't hurt my reputation... And after all: I still want the rest of the world to vote for me, so I don't necessarily want them to learn about my bad deeds... :devil:
So in this game I triggered my GA via the Mausoleum (SCI) and the Hanging Gardens (IND). (I was lucky that one of the AIs came up with Monarchy on time and I was able to trade it for Republic. The original plan had been to use the Great Wall as GA trigger, but the Hanging Gardens are of course much more useful in a science game, as the +1 happy faces in all cities allows a faster research rate until Steam.)
During GA, I had 3-4 cities that were making 30spt = 1-turn horsemen, and I quickly took over the rest of my continent (most of it had already been conquered before the GA) and 2 civs on the northern continent. Never learned Military Tradition and consequently never built a single Sipahi in the entire game... :crazyeye:

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

As we left off the last spoiler, the Ottomans were not far away from the Middle
Ages, so this will be a fairly short update.

Only three Technologies remained to be researched, and three could be gained as
bonuses at the entry into the Middle Ages.

0775 BC Discover Polytheism
0690 BC Discover Currency
0610 BC Discover Construction
0610 BC Discover Feudalism
0610 BC Learn Monotheism
0610 BC Learn Engineering​

Research in this section of the game was boosted somewhat by the construction of
The Colossus in the coastal city of Uskudar. Also, another Luxury of course came
in handy to keep down costs.

0800 BC Build The Colossus
0775 BC Found Zonguldak
0710 BC Connect Incense
0650 BC Found Karabuk
0650 BC Found Cankiri
0610 BC Found Iskenderun​

I was lucky to pop a Settler from a hut. Apparently, both Unit 1 and Unit 2 can
be popped. I also fortuitously managed to make contact with the two remaining
Scientific tribes just before the end of the era. As can be seen above, I was
able to trade for both missing first-tier Technologies in the new era.

I immediately established two Embassies and created a Peace Treaty/Alliance in
order to fish for War Happiness.

0775 BC Pop Hut Warrior: Settler
0690 BC Meet Byzantines
0630 BC Meet Persia
0610 BC Enter Middle Ages
0610 BC Embassy Zululand
0610 BC Embassy Persia
0610 BC War Persia
0610 BC PT/A Zululand v. Persia​

I want to join the COTM, but my English skills are not good. I hope you can understand me.

My game:

Going for 100k

4000 BC
Settled in place
Research: Pottery => Ceremonial Burial => Alphabet => Writing

3100 BC
Got a settler from a goody hut

2950 BC
Granary in Istanbul

2910 BC
Found Edrine

2590 BC
Found Bursa

2510 BC
Got a second settler from a goody hut

2470 BC
Found Iznik

2430 BC
Found Uskudar

2390 BC
Got Warrior Code from a goody hut

2310 BC
Meet Austria

2230 BC
Found Izmit

2190 BC
Got 25 gold from a goody hut

2070 BC
Found Aydin

1950 BC
Got maps from a goody hut

1870 BC
Found Antalya

1700 BC
Discover Writing

1675 BC
Meet Iroquois. Can trade Ceremonial Burial, Warrior Code and Masonry for The Wheel and 10 gold.
Got Iron Working and 10 gold for Alphabet, Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel and Pottery from Austria.

1650 BC
Found Konya

1625 BC
Found Sinop

1525 BC
Found Kafa

1425 BC
Discover Literature

1425 BC
Found Ankara

1325 BC
Found Salonika

1275 BC
Found Mugla

1225 BC
Discover Code of Laws
Trade Mysticism for Writing with Austria

1150 BC
Found Denizli

1125 BC
Found Bolu

1100 BC
Discover Philosophy
Discover The Republic

1050 BC
Found Urfa

1025 BC
Found Bingol
Forbidden Palace is available

1025 BC.jpg

1000 BC
The Ottomans are now in the republic.
Found Riza
Meet Persia

900 BC
Meet Zulu

850 BC
Discover Map Making
Got Horsback Riding for Writing from the Persians.

750 BC
Discover Mathematics

690 BC
Iznik builds the Colossus
Found Zonguldak

650 BC
Istanbul builds the Mausoleum of Mausolos

630 BC
Discover Currency
Edrine builds the Pyramids. The Ottomans are now in the Golden Age.

610 BC
Found Kirklareli
Got 50 gold from a goody hut.

570 BC
Found Karabuk

550 BC
Discover Polytheism
Meet Rome

470 BC
Discover Construction
Discover Monotheism

War with Austria
My final act on the last set was establishing Riza right near the Austrian capital and sniping their horses. That must have irritated them, because the very next turn an Austrian swordsman moved next to Riza and they declared war. Hit the end-of-turn button and the government choice came up, chose Republic and my first act was purchasing a barracks in Riza. With the new barracks I started to upgrade the regular warriors that were blockading on the mountains, cause I wasn't yet prepared for war. With the mountain pass open a couple of Austrian settler pairs moved into the open and the two newly-minted regular swordsmen whacked them, with one becoming veteran. Four part-time workers reporting for duty!:D
austria war.jpg

I was still in anarchy when Austria attacked and only had one horseman and one swordsman. Without looking I got an alliance with the Iroquois, and started upgrading the before mentioned warriors. Then looked at the map and Austria was only five cities strong and four of them were size-1. So the Iroquois will now have a lot of extra offensive units to deal with.:cry:

A few turns later a stack of swords and horses headed for Vienna to cut the head off the snake. A swordsman was lost and several others were hurt, but the Austrian capital was captured. With that they were ready to talk and handed over two of their three remaining cities. The Iroquois had destroyed the fourth and were already moving a settler in.
iroquois settler.jpg

In 410 BC the Austrians were out of the game.

Exploration and Contacts
The suicide curragh from off the eastern tip of the Iroquois survived four turns out on the ocean.:cool:
That is probably in the top three best curragh runs since I started playing Civ! I usually have failed miserably with suicide runs.
The island found by this curragh is apparently the same island that the Persians are on.

Met the following civs-

• Rome in 650 BC
  • Byzantines in 550 BC
and a map-
Overmap 350bc.jpg

The Age of Antiquity ends -- Dawn of the Medieval Age
Research on Construction came to an end in 250 BC. Only knew two science civs, so dialed them both up and gifted them into the next age.
  • Byzantines get Engineering; traded The Republic for it.
  • Persia gets Monotheism; traded Engineering & The Republic for it.
  • Ottomans get Feudalism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom