[C3C] COTM154 Mongols Deity -- Discussion and Spoilers

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
COTM 154 Temujin and Börte

cotm_154_illu.jpg

In this game, you will rule over the Mongols, who are Expansionist and Militaristic and start the game with the knowledge of Pottery and Warrior Code. This is a Deity-level game. The Mongol Unique Unit is the Keshik, a Knight replacement which is cheaper, but is also weaker in the defence. Instead, it crosses Mountains and Hills as if they were Grassland.

However, this is not the only Unit in this game with this ability! The Spanish Conquistador has been downgraded to treat Mountains and Hills as Grassland, and the Ancient Cavalry upgraded to the same ability. Then there is the Chasqui Scout...

In order to make the game safe for immediate annihilation at this level on a Pangaea map, you have at your disposal, among other things which you must discover, two extra units: Temujin and his lovely wife Börte. Börte was once robbed away by another tribe. Temujin rescued her, took her home, and now she will not move again. There is only one way to move the Börte unit, perhaps you will figure out how. She requires a complete Royal Procession. (Please don't play around with the save before you have played the COTM, though. Stick to the rules!)

You might think that Börte will protect your Capital, but she will not. She has no defence capability. She does keep the populace calm however, just like any military police unit.

Temujin, on the other hand, is a restless soul and has already left Börte behind with the Settler and rest. He moves two tiles per turn and ignores movement costs in Hills, Mountains and Marshes. He has the Blitz ability and the Enslave ability (creating Workers) and a Zone of Control. He has two extra health points.

You pay no upkeep for the Royal Family. Both Temijun and Börte are for free. There is only of each and they cannot be built again. They do not start a Golden Age.

A note of caution: Some tribes have gotten new colours in order to make it easier to keep them apart.

This game was created by me, Più Freddo.

Starting Position

cotm_154_start.jpg

Scope of the Game

Normal Map
Pangaea mit less than 60% ocean
Sedentary Barbarians
The other tribes in this game are: China, Netherlands, Sumeria, Spain, Inca, Arabia and Scandinavia.

The game is released on January 1, 2021.
Submissions are due by March 31, 2021.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)

Last edited:
I'll give this a crack, but I am hopeless with Expansionist (I always land my scout on its second move next to a barb in fog of war). This will seem like a stupid question, but is there any way to take advantage of the militaristic trait without going to war? I have little luck bullying techs or gold out of Civs through diplomacy so conquest seems the only option?

I won't be waiting on the Keshiks though. Too late in the game to capitalise on me being Expansionist and a really ordinary special unit in my opinion (not sure why they decided to give Arabs and Chinese arguably superior unique units based off the same tech compared to the unit that crushed Asian and European empires alike - I make it 5/2/2 in my games).

I hope the Dutch are far away. Their UU is like Keshik kryptonite.

I tried a practice game for the Mongols at Regent level. I think I would have won, but I was getting bogged down in countless wars and quit in the 1900s sometime. My research was always behind, and I was always broke. Mongols are not my style, and Deity not my level.
The starting location does look nice though. My plan is to survive, play nice, and hope for the diplomatic victory.

That is a very shield rich location when in Republic. Would be great for a quick 20K if not a considerably late Golden Age (you either need Colossus or Lighthuose + SoZ or Great Wall)

Would be great for a quick 20K
Would you have your 20k city be the capital and in the starting location? I was thinking 20k as a possibility also, but was considering putting my capital on the plains one tile SW and making that my 20k city.
Temujin's starting location might be a good site for 20k also with flood plains to the west for food and plenty of hills and mountains. I do like having the pre-build option, and I need it at Deity so a second city 20k is appealing. Too many decisions!

With the beautiful Börte at home and Temujin foolishly leaving her in the company of his military, will the population at the Capitol increase more rapidly?

Would you have your 20k city be the capital and in the starting location? I was thinking 20k as a possibility also, but was considering putting my capital on the plains one tile SW and making that my 20k city.
Temujin's starting location might be a good site for 20k also with flood plains to the west for food and plenty of hills and mountains. I do like having the pre-build option, and I need it at Deity so a second city 20k is appealing. Too many decisions!

I was also thinking about settling 1SW: by doing so capital would have 9 hills/mountains, 1 bg and would be able to produce at least 31 shields per turn in Republic. Settling where Temujin is would lose floodplain wheat and 1 hill.

Yep, it might be a bit complicated without a Palace prebuild on Deity, but if your tech pace is good you should always have something to build. You might consider settling the capital 1S1SE (it would become a 4 settler/2 turn worker factory with granary) and use the second city 1SW from the starting location as your culture city.

If you are interested in 20k and an early Golden Age, you might want to have in mind that the next game in line in this series is Babylon on Emperor...

I've been playing loads of Civ 3 lately and I'm pretty sure I will have broken rules here by reloading turns as I have a horrible habit of constantly messing up moves in my very rushed play style (e.g. using the G command takes up 2 moves on a road, then the game cycles to another unit, and then I eventually come back to the unit on the road and think I have 3 moves and make a stupid decision when I realise it can only move one space (usually offering itself up as a sacrifice at the feet of a hostile foe by running out of moves infront of them instead of attacking them). I also sink half my navy this way (not a problem here in on the pangea) and will always reload an error like that instinctively.

Anyway that is a longwinded way of saying there are absolutely no hard feelings if my submission gets discounted, gets an asterix next to it or gets put on the 'naughty step'.

You are not allowed to submit a game where you have cheated.

I don't know for certain if I did reload a game or not as I was playing multiple games around the start of the game and only remembered the rule in another thread the other day. I didn't have any ships or any AI combat at all, but as I say it may be best to disregard my submission incase I reloaded after a wrong key press involving any barbarians as I do that every couple of games or so. Damn game toggling of units in the middle of their move points is my least favourite aspect.

To be safe, I'll just play the games for fun in future and not submit a save.

@Piu this looks like a really awesome game. I really hope I get a PC working within the next few weeks to play it.

Damn game toggling of units in the middle of their move points is my least favourite aspect.

I suppose you mean what happens when you set an automatic movement to a tile which is reached in the middle of the last automatic move? What is the game supposed to do other than offer you to make the last part of the move?

I made it a habit to play all my manual moves first, then wait for the automatic moves, then move any still movable units ONE AT A TIME and SLOWLY, minding the little number in its description. I'm also very careful when moving large stacks of equal units when another unit, say a Worker, is on the same tile, as the game tends to mix the scheduling of two, apparently in order to confuse you.

I suppose you mean what happens when you set an automatic movement to a tile which is reached in the middle of the last automatic move? What is the game supposed to do other than offer you to make the last part of the move?

Yes. The majority of the time the when a unit completes a multi turn automated move, but has move points remaining, the game cycles to another unit before returning the unit that has a move point left. It catches me out very often and I move the unit assuming it has full move points.

I made it a habit to play all my manual moves first, then wait for the automatic moves, then move any still movable units ONE AT A TIME and SLOWLY, minding the little number in its description. I'm also very careful when moving large stacks of equal units when another unit, say a Worker, is on the same tile, as the game tends to mix the scheduling of two, apparently in order to confuse you.

I'll look at it more methodically to try and reduce errors (as I say I can now do non-stacked naval units fairly consistently without accidental drownings, and I never thought that day would come). But generally I like to rush through games at breakneck speed eagerly seeking the next development (automated moves, using governors for managing happiness, even automating workers post Steam Power. I'll give being patient a go next time around.

Top Bottom