[C3C] COTM154 Mongols Deity -- Discussion and Spoilers

congratulations, CFR, the first Deity win is a big thing! ;)
t_x

Having completely missed the keshik power spike I finally became a power by the dawn industrial era, primarily due to the constant warfare amongst the AI that they never involved me in. I don't think I would ever have caught up otherwise.

I toyed with an assault on Spain, who seemed to be struggling to get resources throughout the game but having not won on Deity I took the cowards way out and focussed entirely on building the United Nations getting a presumably inevitable diplomatic victory since I traded with almost everyone and nobody so much as bothered to threaten me. Ghengis the pacifist was victorious in 6hrs 57mins of governor utilising, worker automated speed running!

The stars were in alignment and it pretty much proved to me that barring a freakish amount of good luck, as in this game, that my very hurried play style would not be sufficient to win on default Deity rules. If anyone had declared war on me at any point before I'd rolled out my factories it would have been Goodnight Vienna.

Just in case someone would load Temujin into an army, would he / the army still be able to load Börte?
t_x

Is it possible that we get a few extra days for this? There are lot of units to move, but I think I can finish this with an extra week, or maybe even with time till April 12? ;)
Thanks in advance!
t_x

I don't know. As much as I want you back in this competition, the whole idea with this slow schedule was simplicity and predictability. You had three months! You can of course still play the game late and write a spoiler. Please submit an unfinished game on the 31st if you're not ready. Or kick the wife out of your office today and finish on time. Sleep is for weaklings.

I just completed my first game of the month with a win. Great fun! This year I got my old game of civ 3 back out after many years of not playing. After a brief struggle of getting it to run on windows 10, I realized that it is one of the best computer games of all time. Civ 3 is my favorite version of the series. Thanks to Piu Freddo for setting up a great senerio. Can’t wait for Babylon to start!

Last edited:
i made it, barely.

one picture to say it all
Mongol core.png

ok, another one:
temujin oversees his conquest.png

t_x

and here´s the story:

4000 settle in place, find 2 huts+gems, worker on FPs, production set on a granary, science to Alpha

3950 1st hut gives maps, reveals 2 more huts

Next huts give 1x gold, 2x warriors, CB, worker, warrior, worker, 2 warriors

Find that food resources emphasize early wider spacing of cities, later to fill back in

3600 meet Ragnar

3550 find silks

3300 cannot trade for Alpha yet but for a 1st slave

3250 meet Spain, trade for Alpha

3150 granary

3100 more trades, more slaves

2950 meet Arabs, first settler, SF operational

2750 2nd town

2710 got first enslaved barb from Temujin IBT

2590 3rd town

2390 4th, meet China

2310 suffered a plundering by the first barb horse, just a bit of gold gone. 5th town; meet Incans and see orange borders as well; get 25g from a hut.

2270 damn, Incans got Writing… I buy it from them, but do not trade it around and risk to still go for the Philo sling; IBT 2nd horse kills a worker and ransacks town for even more gold.

2230 Masonry from a hut

2190 Temujin can show his blitz, turns elite, creates another slave

2150 6th town, meet the Dutch. They also already know Writing :(

2110 hut gives warrior at the other end of the world, sees red colors; finish 2nd gran for worker factory from next turn on

2070 meet Sumeria

1990 found 7th town, planned FP town

1950 iron is very far away

1910 connect 2nd lux

1725 CoL in, nobody has it yet (or Philo)

1650 establish all but 1 embassies, nothing special to see; but then… Arabs and Inco got Philo L only 3-4 turns before I could have managed the full sling.

1125 only 1t before we reach Republic, Sumer and Inca have got the tech! Bummer!

Instigate wars so that everyone is busy, especially Sumeria with their wonder-induced GA in which they cannot really build much. Revolt for 6t anarchy.

1000bc stats:

3 cities, 16 towns, 74 pop, 359g

3 grans (1 sold), 2 raxes

Horses, iron, 3 luxes connected

Embassies with all civs

22 workers, 1 scout, 10 warriors, 3 horsemen, the Royal couple, Temujin being elite

Rep and all obligatory AA techs except Currency, everyone still in the AA

~40% into the FP

2 turns anarchy left

IBT after 975 Rep

875 Curr in, enter MA first

850 IBT 2nd civ enters MA, barb uprise

While i realize i can carry Börte around with the Temujin unit, i fail to see what the use of that could be

750 FP finished

370 Chiv in, stop research, nearly 400 gpt, first Keshik built

350 GA starts

gained lots of WH by instigating wars in the last 20-30 turns, flexibly picking on the closer towns of any civ. First real empire to absorb are the Scandinavians.

210 @ war with everyone! DOW on Ragnar!

110 form 1st army and attack

70 2nd MGL with 25th e vic

50 war against Arabia starts, this time well prepared

10ad Temujin picks Börte up and takes her to the front for some conquest.

I realize that the ACavs can also pass mountains and hills more easily in this game.

30ad Vikes out of the game; IBT Sumer kills off Spain; IBT 7 luxes are connected tot he empire

50ad Arabs join the party, they´re out

GA ends

130 China goes, > 100 Keshiks

230 war against everyone, roads reach all their empires

260 after so many more elite victories, finally another MGL in 260ad

270 already take the last Incan town, but they have one settler pair in the swamp area :-/

280 take Amsterdam and now have all 8 luxes connected to the whole empire!

300 Dutch out

320 take Sumer; no army support any more

330 finally capture that Inca settler in the marsh, Incans out

Also take last Babylonian town, but an elite galley had left one of their last towns with a settler onboard IBT :-/ my first attack on it fails but takes down a few hp

IBT they land the settler pair

340 I would have loved to use Temujin for this, but he was only 2 tiles too far away to personally do the conquest! Having Börte loaded into him!! :)
so the first available Keshik can kill it off and the royal couple only oversees the scene! Babylon out.

350 conquest victory

Elite vics IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII

With Temujin IIIII IIIII

I have never seen so many volcanoes erupt like in this game! And I very rarely build so little culture -

No libs! Only markets, courts, raxes… and the FP as the only culture building of the game. ;)

The 350ad conquest gave me more than 15000 Firaxis points.

a great set-up and game, thanks!

t_x

Last edited:
How to manage such a date (and I am not saying, that is particularly good... we´ll see) for conquest in a Deity game?

I heard that question often from players rather unfamiliar with fastest games, and I sure asked the exact same question myself when I joined this forum quite a few years ago...

Aside from the usual stuff, like REX, emphasis on pop growth, diplomacy, the art of civ war, ressources, etc, particularly for this game I´d like to point out two examples of important planning details that may come as surprising or non-intuitive to some:
1. building roads. and workers for these roads.
even though our Keshiks were highly mobile, you must build roads to the faraway front so to manage a fast conquest. otherwise your newly built units from the core will very soon need a very long time to reach the front.
for this, i calculated that i needed 2 pairs of worker stacks: one building a road through that long mountain range towards the Dutch; and one to connect the respective road network of the Scandinavians, the Arabs, the Chinese, the Incans, clockwise to get the attack to Sumer, FROM THE EAST. during the last turns, Sumeria was thus attacked from the west, the north and the east, and crumbled very fast given it was by far the strongest AI civ in this game. (the AI is very bad with multi-front wars.)
how many workers did i need for this? 36! that is 9 workers for each party to get a road ready on mountain in 1 turn. make that 2 stacks per front and 2 main fronts, so the minimum was to have 36 workers do the roads AHEAD of when the attack was about to start. that requires to drain quite a few ressources away from your core deliberately at quite an early time in the game. but it is necessary, or the worker stacks won´t be there if you don´t plan ahead quite early, and stay dedicated to the plan until the worker stacks and the roads are there.
in the end, i think i had some 60-70 workers on the various fronts, and since the Keshiks move so fast, this does need quite some planning as well.

2. building ships. early.
you might think: WTF? what for should i build ships, and especially those weak galleys, in a pangaea game?!? i´m telling you. otherwise it may take you forever to hunt down those AI settler galleys even when you have actually defeated them on land! and since the area of the final turns of war were to be expected on the other end of the landmass, those galleys need a looong time to get there. so you need to build them early, and build them in numbers. on their way, they have to cleanse the shores, so no galleys of the AI keep around, and later they have to hurry to be at their own shores when your armies are there, too. i used the not-so-core-coastal towns for this purpose, plus i rushed quite a few boats. i think, something like 30 in total. it turned out to be just enough!

thanks again for this game, it might be my last one in a very long game. As Piu correctly puts it, 3 months is a long time, but not for me: my playing time, together with my spare time altogether, is minimal, so i cannot see that i will be able to participate in an XOTM any time soon. but let´s see how things transpire. thanks again for setting this up and keeping it alive for the last few of us still playing the game as a friendly competition!

t_x

Last edited:
I started this game a while back, thinking to do 20k in the second city. I didn't get very far at that time- I stopped playing one night when the AI learned philosophy first (despite going for it directly after writing). Then real life intervened, and I didn't get back to it until a couple of days ago. Things didn't go so badly, but I was mostly just waiting to get attacked. Missing the GL by 1 turn in a cascade wasn't great, but I managed to trade for monarchy, so I got the Hanging Gardens. About 250 turns into the game my expected 20k date moved back before 2050.

However, I was running out of time in real life. Automating workers, turning off animations, and not showing any moves got me to the earliest real-life win just barely in time, with about 4 hours to spare. That turned out to be a diplomatic win in 1710. I may go back to the turn before and play out the 20k game, to see how it goes, as this would have been my preference. On the other hand, I should perhaps just get started on the new games, in hopes of not running into the deadline next time.

Top Bottom