1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM155 Babylon Emperor -- Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Fergei

Fergei Chieftain

I'll play in my usual sped up automated way and see if I can attempt a 100k cultural victory, but expect to fail quickly at that and go for space race (both of which I've never achieved). I am hopeless at judging when a cultural victory has gone out of reach though but attempting it shouldn't jeopardise a space victory.

I will be spamming these bowmen like nobodies business early doors to dissuade aggression from neighbours. They have defensive bombard don't they? So I can activate that by pairing them up with warriors to be cheap barbarian worrying duos.

2. CKS

CKS Deity

Why will you pair them with warriors? The warriors won't defend, as the bowman has defense 2. You could send out pairs of bowmen.

While building a bunch and going barb hunting might be worthwhile, I expect I'll be to lazy to do so.

A 100k victory doesn't really go out of reach until very late in the game, and it is pretty easy to accomplish if you focus on it, especially if you are willing to go to war at first. Get a large plot of land. ICS it and pop-rush culture, using ToA (if possible) and pyramids to give culture and population growth. Wait a while. Towards the end you can end up gaining thousands of cpt. Feudalism in wartime is great, because you can pop-rush with foreign citizens, speedily removing flip risks and building culture quickly.

However, while a 20k game is reasonably compatible with a space victory, I don't think 100k is. The maintenance on all those cultural buildings is crushing, so you can't research quickly once you start to get a bunch of them. Ideally you decide before well before education whether you are going for space or 100k, since you don't want to learn education if the ToA is available for culture. (On emperor you can probably get the AI to build the ToA and the pyramids on your continent for you.)

Fergei and Captain_Jack like this.
  3. Fergei

Fergei Chieftain

Of course, bowmen have defence of two so wont use bombard if paired with warriors. Thanks for 100k tips. I'll see if can give that a bash and try to make the AI attack each other throughout the game to lower their focus on cultural buildings.

4. LaSalle

LaSalle Chieftain

Just finished up my game. Great starting position for the capital. I won’t give any details because I don’t know if spoilers are allowed. I could not figure out what the Guards of the Seven Tablets do or what is special about the tile. Did anyone else figure it out?

5. Fergei

Fergei Chieftain

Yeah, spoiler conditions are laid out as the weeks go on, so you did well to keep it to yourself. I've been enjoying spring too much to start yet.

6. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

I should work in Washington. I lost control of my budget one turn and my Guards were disbanded!

Più Freddo likes this.
  7. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

@Captain_Jack At least you had some use of them!

@LaSalle They keep Barbarians from destroying the mine. Their special ability is Enslavement. And they look good!

Sorry for not having announced the spoilers. These are hard times for a free spirit. So much evil and stupidity!

8. Più Freddo

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

9. Più Freddo

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

10. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Just started the game and discovered a wheat floodplain only 6 tiles away?!?

Edit: and a cow as well! I see no one else mentioning this, am I playing a different game?!

Regarding Captain Jack's crash on the victory screen: I think we should accept the autosave and count it as victory, and not require him to play an additional 11 turns (for another election, I assume?)

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  11. Più Freddo

Oh, yes, there were those. I must have forgotten them when I wrote the blurb. I looked now, and it seems I missed a few more. Sorry about that. I think I had the intention at one point but didn't follow through. The Wheat Floodplains were intended as a sort of bounty. I should have mentioned them, but it plain slipped my mind. I think the general strategy should not be affected. There really are very few food bonuses!