1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM156 Netherlands Demigod -- Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

COTM 156: Tiptoe through the Tulips
    tulip-fields.jpg

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Più Freddo

This game was created by Captain Jack, who will post the details of the game shortly.

Starting Position

Tulip Start Location Image.jpg

Scope of the Game

Normal Map
    Continents with 70% ocean
    Roaming Barbarians
    There are 11 other tribes in this game.

Time Plan

The game is released on July 1, 2021.
    Submissions are due by September 30, 2021.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Pre-Game Discussion

No spoiler information from after opening the game save file is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)

Knightfall likes this.
  3. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

My very first SG was a Demigod game with the Netherlands. I will try to play this.

Most probably I won´t found OTS, but try to get the capital away from the tip of this peninsula. However, Demigod means that one shouldn´t waste just too much time...

t_x

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Più Freddo

The Dutch are a hard-working and clever people, and in this game you will lead them forward into the new ages. Your tribesmen are agricultural and seafaring. They have already mastered pottery and can build granaries, but they have also devised a way to make wetlands habitable and can settle directly onto marsh! That’s an innovation that might come in handy someday. Your scholars have also devised an alphabet that will undoubtedly prove useful.

Some of your people call themselves seafarers. They have been so daring as to build small boats called curraghs with which they navigate the local river. Perhaps these boats can venture onto the wild water of the sea. Who can tell?

Your unique unit is the Swiss Mercenary; considered by some to be a half-price musketman he is actually a replacement for the pikeman with one extra defense point and requires iron to build.

Your land is fertile and lovely. The future might reveal hidden treasures of which you will be the steward, but there might also be danger. Lead your people well.

Knightfall likes this.
  5. Più Freddo

Yes, I'd say either that or a Palace jump with the second Settler. (I'm eligible to compete in this game. This is not an official message.)

Knightfall likes this.
  6. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

What is an SG?
    And what is OTS? (On the spot?)

And the Palace Jump. I am going to have to find out when that should be done and how to do it. The most I've ever done is whither my Capital down and abandon it eventually, and that seems like a real waste of resources.

Good luck to everyone! I hope you enjoy the game.

Knightfall likes this.
  7. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

An SG is a Succession Game, where a team of players play five or ten turns each and pass the save on to the next player.

Founding or Settling OTS is, indeed, On The Spot.

A Palace Jump is mainly used to move your capital away from the Forbidden Palace so that each Palace can establish its own low-corruption city core. Often used to move your capital into a defeated civ's capital, but in this case Più Freddo is presumably thinking of jumping the palace to his second city.

Knightfall and templar_x like this.
  8. milr

milr Warlord

When your capital is destroyed (by an enemy or on your own action), CIV moves your capital to what it determines is the next strongest city. I seem to recall there is a utility that can tell you which city will become the new capital (my guess is that is in the CRpSuite utilities.

Knightfall likes this.
  9. CKS

CKS Deity

I don't really like the starting location, but I'm going to settle in place. It isn't horrible, with the fish and the floodplain, and I don't see trading 2 fish for one BG (moving one step east). That means either a long walk or a capitol with either no fresh water or no salt water, and on DG I think that will not be good news for me. I'll save a better location for my 20k town and hope to muddle through to some sort of victory eventually.

10. Più Freddo

Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

11. ignas

ignas kunigaikstis

It is the year of 1000 BC. The Dutch civilization has finally settled the 10th town and is eligible for this spoiler. Unfortunately Haarlem is due to be lost the next turn to the French as we are sneak attacked on this very same turn. To be fair we were preparing for the war ourselves and have 7 veteran warriors to be upgraded to swordsmen in a few turns when the iron is connected. War happiness is always nice - this is the second source of it as the island nation Japan demanded and declared on us in 1100 BC. This is the phony war for now as Japan is far away from Map Making.

We've settled Amsterdam in 3950 BC 1 E from the starting location to grab a bonus grassland and couple more forests. Capital built 2 curraghs, granary and 6 turn settlers after that.

Curraghs did a good job and we are currently in contact with 6 civilizations. Research was set to Writing at full speed (should have been at min speed as we managed to research it in 49 turns). CoL researched in 1375 BC and Republic is being researched at the present moment. We had to abandon our Republic slingshot plans as Greece researched/popped Philospohy in 1475 BC choosing Map Making as a freebie.

The Hague was founded in the 2110 BC by the 2 forest games. Our senior strategists decided this is our future palace location. It built granary in 1475 BC and the palace jump was performed in 1350 BC.

1000 BC stats:

10 towns, 27 population
    1 granary
    3 barracks
    7 vet warriors, 4 reg warriors, 1 vet archer, 2 settlers, 8 workers, 3 curraghs.
    Republic in 13 turns, 2 sources of war happiness.

14 town France is currently the force to be reckoned with. I've ideally would've have declared on them in 5 turns or so time when the swordsmen and iron is ready. Early plan is to conquer French lands. Long term plan is a military solution using knights. The Pyramids were unfortuantely built by the Zulu which we haven't met yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  12. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

How did you execute the jump. Did you abandon Amsterdam and hope it became the new capital? If so, is it ever worthwhile to actually build a new palace to establish the capital?

13. ignas

ignas kunigaikstis

I've abandoned the capital and knew exactly where the new palace will be located. There is a special formula used to calculate that: https://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/game-mechanics/free-palace-jump/ Basically, your next palace location when you abandon/lose the capital will be the location with most citizens and military units in it.

Building the palace from scratch most of the time is a waste of shields. I either use a great leader to rush the palace or abandon the capital to move the palace.

templar_x likes this.
  14. Più Freddo

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

15. Più Freddo

We moved the settler NE and founded Amsterdam off the coast, but in a spot where
    a six-turn Warrior-Settler combo factory could be built and started the initial
    rapid expansion.

Thanks to the many Warriors from the Combo Factory, much of the land was laid
    open and we could send a Settler to found our designated future Capital,
    Groningen, by the twin Game tiles in our deep hinterlands. We also sent Settlers
    and Warriors up towards France to found Maastricht and Middelburg there and to
    claim the land around the Wines.

3950 BC Found Amsterdam
    2430 BC Found Rotterdam
    2190 BC Found The Hague
    1910 BC Found Utrecht
    1910 BC Connect Incense
    1625 BC Found Groningen
    1500 BC Found Eindhoven
    1400 BC Found Maastricht
    1400 BC Found Arnhem
    1325 BC Found Haarlem
    1175 BC Found Middelburg
    1175 BC Found Holwerd​

Research was directed towards The Republic using the short-cut offered by being
    the first to discover Philosophy.

4000 BC Discover Pottery
    4000 BC Discover Alphabet
    1830 BC Learn Warrior Code
    1725 BC Learn The Wheel
    1725 BC Learn Ceremonial Burial
    1725 BC Learn Bronze Working
    1500 BC Learn Masonry
    1300 BC Discover Code of Laws
    1275 BC Learn Mysticism
    1275 BC Learn Iron Working
    1125 BC Learn Horseback Riding​

We did send out a Curragh fairly early, but for obvious reasons not from the
    Capital. Without too much of a hurry, we met several other civilizations.
    Meeting France was dramatic, their Warrior stepped in to pop a Hut, out of which
    Barbarians spawned, killing our Worker!

Thanks to the Shield overflow in Amsterdam, the city was then set to shrink for
    each Settler and eventually, before the Palace jump, we sold its Granary.

2150 BC Launch Curragh
    2030 BC Meet France
    1830 BC Meet Spain
    1790 BC Meet Iroquois
    1725 BC Meet Aztecs
    1500 BC Pop Hut
    1425 BC Meet Japan
    1275 BC Meet Babylon
    1250 BC Sell Granary​

The most important date in the history of Holland was 1100 BC. In the same turn
    as we discovered Philosophy and The Republic, the Palace jumped to Groningen and
    a new era was started around a new Capital. With time, while the new Core was
    being developed, some strategic resources were connected.

1100 BC Abandon Amsterdam
    1100 BC Jump Groningen
    1075 BC Found Delft
    0850 BC Connect Horses
    0730 BC Connect Wines​

Our research goal was now The Middle Ages, which were reached in 650 BC.

1100 BC Discover The Republic
    1100 BC Discover Philosophy
    1050 BC Learn Map Making
    0875 BC Learn Currency
    0730 BC Learn Polytheism
    0650 BC Discover Construction​

Of course, we had to wait one turn with establishing Anarchy in 1100 BC, set to
    last for six turns. The Curraghs traveled on and as we entered the Middle Ages,
    all foreign tribes had been met by glorius and intrepid Dutch seafarers.

Only in 875 BC, a few turns after having established a Republican Government,
    did we realize first that Tulips had spawned around Delft, the replacement for
    Amsterdam back in the original starting location by the coast, and second that
    these Tulips are actually a Luxury!

1100 BC Establish Anarchy
    1100 BC Embassy France
    1050 BC Meet Rome
    0950 BC Meet Zululand
    0950 BC Establish Republic
    0875 BC Meet Greece
    0710 BC Meet India
    0650 BC Enter Middle Ages​

Greece discovered Monotheism, Babylon discovered Feudalism.

QSC Stats

It seems no one has submitted a QSC result, me neither, but here are my
    statistics for reference:

11 Towns, 24 Population, 1 Luxury
    1 Granary
    1 Barracks
    1 Veteran Warrior, 7 Regular Warriors, 9 Workers, 4 Curraghs
    In Anarchy, Republic as a Government in 2 turns, no wars so far.

Spoonwood and templar_x like this.
  16. Green Bear

Green Bear Chieftain

3850 BC
    Settled 3 NE

2900 BC
    Discover Ceremonial Burial.

2850 BC
    Found Rotterdam.

2510 BC
    Meet France.

2270 BC
    Found The Hague.

2150 BC
    Rotterdam builds a temple.

1790 BC
    Rotterdam builds a granary.

1725 BC
    Meet Iroquois.

1625 BC
    Discover Writing.
    Learn Bronze Working.
    Learn Iron Working.

1600 BC
    Found Utrecht.

1550 BC
    Found Groningen.

1450 BC
    Found Eindhoven.

1425 BC
    Found Arnhem.
    Found Maastricht.

1400 BC
    Meet Zululand.

1350 BC
    Meet Rome.
    Found Haarlem.

1300 BC
    Learn Warrior Code.
    Learn Mysticism.
    Learn The Wheel.

1150 BC
    Palace Jump to Rotterdam.
    Meet Greece.

1125 BC
    Found Holwerd.

1100 BC
    Discover Code of Laws.
    Found Middelburg.

1075 BC
    Found Delft.
    Learn Horsback Riding.
    Learn Masonry.

1025 BC
    Learn Map Making.
    Learn Mathematics.

975 BC
    Meet India.

900 BC
    Discover Philosophy.
    Discover The Republic.
    Learn Construction.

800 BC
    Meet China.

650 BC
    Discover Literature.

430 BC
    Discover Polytheism.
    Learn Currency.
    The Dutch are in the Middle Ages.
    Greece get Monotheism.
    Going into Anarchy.

430bc.jpg

Spoonwood and Più Freddo like this.
  17. templar_x

i failed with the slingshot, around the time when Piu got his. all the civs i knew then were far from Philo, but a single unknown civ obviously already researched it (or found it in a hut). damn.

i wandered quite a bit with the initial settler, but i did not jump the capital later. not sure how this will work out in the long run. i may consider to use an MGL for that though, but it does not seem too important.

first war against France was well prepared and goes smoothly. the plan is to make peace and regroup and then take them out in the early MA, igniting the GA on the way.

t_x

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  18. templar_x

looking good!

but why did you "of course" have to wait one turn before revolting?
    t_x

19. Più Freddo

Because I wanted to produce a Settler in Amsterdam causing the Palace to jump. Perhaps it wouldn't have mattered much?

20. Più Freddo

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.