[C3C] COTM156 Netherlands Demigod -- Discussion and Spoilers

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
COTM 156: Tiptoe through the Tulips
tulip-fields.jpg

This game was created by Captain Jack, who will post the details of the game shortly.

Starting Position

Tulip Start Location Image.jpg

Scope of the Game

Normal Map
Continents with 70% ocean
Roaming Barbarians
There are 11 other tribes in this game.

Time Plan

The game is released on July 1, 2021.
Submissions are due by September 30, 2021.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Pre-Game Discussion

No spoiler information from after opening the game save file is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)

My very first SG was a Demigod game with the Netherlands. I will try to play this.

Most probably I won´t found OTS, but try to get the capital away from the tip of this peninsula. However, Demigod means that one shouldn´t waste just too much time...

t_x

The Dutch are a hard-working and clever people, and in this game you will lead them forward into the new ages. Your tribesmen are agricultural and seafaring. They have already mastered pottery and can build granaries, but they have also devised a way to make wetlands habitable and can settle directly onto marsh! That’s an innovation that might come in handy someday. Your scholars have also devised an alphabet that will undoubtedly prove useful.

Some of your people call themselves seafarers. They have been so daring as to build small boats called curraghs with which they navigate the local river. Perhaps these boats can venture onto the wild water of the sea. Who can tell?

Your unique unit is the Swiss Mercenary; considered by some to be a half-price musketman he is actually a replacement for the pikeman with one extra defense point and requires iron to build.

Your land is fertile and lovely. The future might reveal hidden treasures of which you will be the steward, but there might also be danger. Lead your people well.

My very first SG
What is an SG?
Most probably I won´t found OTS
And what is OTS? (On the spot?)

And the Palace Jump. I am going to have to find out when that should be done and how to do it. The most I've ever done is whither my Capital down and abandon it eventually, and that seems like a real waste of resources.

Good luck to everyone! I hope you enjoy the game.
Palace jump with the second Settler.

An SG is a Succession Game, where a team of players play five or ten turns each and pass the save on to the next player.

Founding or Settling OTS is, indeed, On The Spot.

A Palace Jump is mainly used to move your capital away from the Forbidden Palace so that each Palace can establish its own low-corruption city core. Often used to move your capital into a defeated civ's capital, but in this case Più Freddo is presumably thinking of jumping the palace to his second city.

When your capital is destroyed (by an enemy or on your own action), CIV moves your capital to what it determines is the next strongest city. I seem to recall there is a utility that can tell you which city will become the new capital (my guess is that is in the CRpSuite utilities.

I don't really like the starting location, but I'm going to settle in place. It isn't horrible, with the fish and the floodplain, and I don't see trading 2 fish for one BG (moving one step east). That means either a long walk or a capitol with either no fresh water or no salt water, and on DG I think that will not be good news for me. I'll save a better location for my 20k town and hope to muddle through to some sort of victory eventually.

Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

It is the year of 1000 BC. The Dutch civilization has finally settled the 10th town and is eligible for this spoiler. Unfortunately Haarlem is due to be lost the next turn to the French as we are sneak attacked on this very same turn. To be fair we were preparing for the war ourselves and have 7 veteran warriors to be upgraded to swordsmen in a few turns when the iron is connected. War happiness is always nice - this is the second source of it as the island nation Japan demanded and declared on us in 1100 BC. This is the phony war for now as Japan is far away from Map Making.

We've settled Amsterdam in 3950 BC 1 E from the starting location to grab a bonus grassland and couple more forests. Capital built 2 curraghs, granary and 6 turn settlers after that.

Curraghs did a good job and we are currently in contact with 6 civilizations. Research was set to Writing at full speed (should have been at min speed as we managed to research it in 49 turns). CoL researched in 1375 BC and Republic is being researched at the present moment. We had to abandon our Republic slingshot plans as Greece researched/popped Philospohy in 1475 BC choosing Map Making as a freebie.

The Hague was founded in the 2110 BC by the 2 forest games. Our senior strategists decided this is our future palace location. It built granary in 1475 BC and the palace jump was performed in 1350 BC.

1000 BC stats:

10 towns, 27 population
1 granary
3 barracks
7 vet warriors, 4 reg warriors, 1 vet archer, 2 settlers, 8 workers, 3 curraghs.
Republic in 13 turns, 2 sources of war happiness.

14 town France is currently the force to be reckoned with. I've ideally would've have declared on them in 5 turns or so time when the swordsmen and iron is ready. Early plan is to conquer French lands. Long term plan is a military solution using knights. The Pyramids were unfortuantely built by the Zulu which we haven't met yet.

Attachments

• Cotm 156 pre jump.JPG
    Cotm 156 pre jump.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 81
  • COTM 156 1000 BC.JPG
    COTM 156 1000 BC.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
The Hague was founded in the 2110 BC by the 2 forest games. Our senior strategists decided this is our future palace location. It built granary in 1475 BC and the palace jump was performed in 1350 BC.
How did you execute the jump. Did you abandon Amsterdam and hope it became the new capital? If so, is it ever worthwhile to actually build a new palace to establish the capital?

How did you execute the jump. Did you abandon Amsterdam and hope it became the new capital? If so, is it ever worthwhile to actually build a new palace to establish the capital?

I've abandoned the capital and knew exactly where the new palace will be located. There is a special formula used to calculate that: https://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/game-mechanics/free-palace-jump/ Basically, your next palace location when you abandon/lose the capital will be the location with most citizens and military units in it.

Building the palace from scratch most of the time is a waste of shields. I either use a great leader to rush the palace or abandon the capital to move the palace.

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

We moved the settler NE and founded Amsterdam off the coast, but in a spot where
a six-turn Warrior-Settler combo factory could be built and started the initial
rapid expansion.

Thanks to the many Warriors from the Combo Factory, much of the land was laid
open and we could send a Settler to found our designated future Capital,
Groningen, by the twin Game tiles in our deep hinterlands. We also sent Settlers
and Warriors up towards France to found Maastricht and Middelburg there and to
claim the land around the Wines.

3950 BC Found Amsterdam
2430 BC Found Rotterdam
2190 BC Found The Hague
1910 BC Found Utrecht
1910 BC Connect Incense
1625 BC Found Groningen
1500 BC Found Eindhoven
1400 BC Found Maastricht
1400 BC Found Arnhem
1325 BC Found Haarlem
1175 BC Found Middelburg
1175 BC Found Holwerd​

Research was directed towards The Republic using the short-cut offered by being
the first to discover Philosophy.

4000 BC Discover Pottery
4000 BC Discover Alphabet
1830 BC Learn Warrior Code
1725 BC Learn The Wheel
1725 BC Learn Ceremonial Burial
1725 BC Learn Bronze Working
1500 BC Learn Masonry
1300 BC Discover Code of Laws
1275 BC Learn Mysticism
1275 BC Learn Iron Working
1125 BC Learn Horseback Riding​

We did send out a Curragh fairly early, but for obvious reasons not from the
Capital. Without too much of a hurry, we met several other civilizations.
Meeting France was dramatic, their Warrior stepped in to pop a Hut, out of which
Barbarians spawned, killing our Worker!

Thanks to the Shield overflow in Amsterdam, the city was then set to shrink for
each Settler and eventually, before the Palace jump, we sold its Granary.

2150 BC Launch Curragh
2030 BC Meet France
1830 BC Meet Spain
1790 BC Meet Iroquois
1725 BC Meet Aztecs
1500 BC Pop Hut
1425 BC Meet Japan
1275 BC Meet Babylon
1250 BC Sell Granary​

The most important date in the history of Holland was 1100 BC. In the same turn
as we discovered Philosophy and The Republic, the Palace jumped to Groningen and
a new era was started around a new Capital. With time, while the new Core was
being developed, some strategic resources were connected.

1100 BC Abandon Amsterdam
1100 BC Jump Groningen
1075 BC Found Delft
0850 BC Connect Horses
0730 BC Connect Wines​

Our research goal was now The Middle Ages, which were reached in 650 BC.

1100 BC Discover The Republic
1100 BC Discover Philosophy
1050 BC Learn Map Making
0875 BC Learn Currency
0730 BC Learn Polytheism
0650 BC Discover Construction​

Of course, we had to wait one turn with establishing Anarchy in 1100 BC, set to
last for six turns. The Curraghs traveled on and as we entered the Middle Ages,
all foreign tribes had been met by glorius and intrepid Dutch seafarers.

Only in 875 BC, a few turns after having established a Republican Government,
did we realize first that Tulips had spawned around Delft, the replacement for
Amsterdam back in the original starting location by the coast, and second that
these Tulips are actually a Luxury!

1100 BC Establish Anarchy
1100 BC Embassy France
1050 BC Meet Rome
0950 BC Meet Zululand
0950 BC Establish Republic
0875 BC Meet Greece
0710 BC Meet India
0650 BC Enter Middle Ages​

Greece discovered Monotheism, Babylon discovered Feudalism.

QSC Stats

It seems no one has submitted a QSC result, me neither, but here are my
statistics for reference:

11 Towns, 24 Population, 1 Luxury
1 Granary
1 Barracks
1 Veteran Warrior, 7 Regular Warriors, 9 Workers, 4 Curraghs
In Anarchy, Republic as a Government in 2 turns, no wars so far.

3850 BC
Settled 3 NE

2900 BC
Discover Ceremonial Burial.

2850 BC
Found Rotterdam.

2510 BC
Meet France.

2270 BC
Found The Hague.

2150 BC
Rotterdam builds a temple.

1790 BC
Rotterdam builds a granary.

1725 BC
Meet Iroquois.

1625 BC
Discover Writing.
Learn Bronze Working.
Learn Iron Working.

1600 BC
Found Utrecht.

1550 BC
Found Groningen.

1450 BC
Found Eindhoven.

1425 BC
Found Arnhem.
Found Maastricht.

1400 BC
Meet Zululand.

1350 BC
Meet Rome.
Found Haarlem.

1300 BC
Learn Warrior Code.
Learn Mysticism.
Learn The Wheel.

1150 BC
Palace Jump to Rotterdam.
Meet Greece.

1125 BC
Found Holwerd.

1100 BC
Discover Code of Laws.
Found Middelburg.

1075 BC
Found Delft.
Learn Horsback Riding.
Learn Masonry.

1025 BC
Learn Map Making.
Learn Mathematics.

975 BC
Meet India.

900 BC
Discover Philosophy.
Discover The Republic.
Learn Construction.

800 BC
Meet China.

650 BC
Discover Literature.

430 BC
Discover Polytheism.
Learn Currency.
The Dutch are in the Middle Ages.
Greece get Monotheism.
Going into Anarchy.

430bc.jpg

i failed with the slingshot, around the time when Piu got his. all the civs i knew then were far from Philo, but a single unknown civ obviously already researched it (or found it in a hut). damn.

i wandered quite a bit with the initial settler, but i did not jump the capital later. not sure how this will work out in the long run. i may consider to use an MGL for that though, but it does not seem too important.

first war against France was well prepared and goes smoothly. the plan is to make peace and regroup and then take them out in the early MA, igniting the GA on the way.

t_x

Last edited:
0650 BC Discover Construction​

Of course, we had to wait one turn with establishing Anarchy in 1100 BC, set to
last for six turns.

looking good!

but why did you "of course" have to wait one turn before revolting?
t_x

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

Top Bottom