Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 29, 2021.
COTM 157: Hittites
This game was created by templar_x, who will post the details of the game shortly.
Scope of the Game
The game is released on October 1, 2021. (Or a bit later.)
Submissions are due by December 31, 2021.
PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!
Game Release Page
Game release page
Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12
Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.
No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!
(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)
Scope of the Game
customized Archipelago with 80% ocean
Sorry for the delay! I had to recollect how to set this up and find the time to do it. Hope you enjoy the game!
Interesting symmetrical setup entre deux mers. We do have a Scout, so I'll send him to one of the Volcanoes to have a recce, but prolly settle in place.
Perhaps the capital in place then two ports on the rivers, one north and one south. I do hate to delay founding my first city.
I worry about the volcanoes. I once had a very large invading army on the road into enemy territory wiped out en masse by an eruption.
COTM157 is Archipelago so Mursilis should found on coast to build currachs. Founding on the river allows Hattusas to increase beyond 6 Citizens without an Aqueduct. SE are.Tulips. Activate the Scout & being careful not to actually move him, see can he go SE to a site that is both on the coast & river? If not, send him W & N to confirm the N water is sea not lake.
This game is now released here
I think that green plant is actually Sugar, quite as normal. Tulips was a modification in last game only.
Piu Freddo, you are correct, that is undoubtedly +1G sugar, and if I can ever open cotm_157_open.bin, which my Dell Inspiron E1505 reports as "not a valid Win32 application", I would likely move the Scout W then N to check out the most promising site to.foundHattusas.
Oh man, regent and archipelago? I never play these, but I might actually join this one.
Hello everybody, I'm very excited to be playing in my first official COTM. I just started playing Civ 3 again after a hiatus of 15 years or so. Since we can't talk about the game yet I'll introduce myself (in Civ terms). I recently played COTM 1-5. Was going to play the previous one (Dutch) but it seemed too hard, and since I was getting my butt kicked, even with reading the spoilers ahead of time, before I quit #3 (Byzantines, demigod), this seemed like a good decision. But I watched some suede and read some war academy, and was able to win a solo game on Emperor. Actually got a HOF-worthy score until I found out I was ineligible bc I had culture flips turned off.
Probably going to be ineligible in this game too, because I started playing and forgot that I was using Flintlock's C3X mod. Which actually IMO makes the game slightly more challenging but I understand the need for consistency. I'll probably be in the mid-to-lower part of the pack anyhow, but my main reason for playing is just to meet/learn from other players and participate in the spoiler/story threads at the appropriate time which I hope I can still do. Hope everyone has fun and good PRNG.
Welcome Ruin! I am relatively new also and I think you will enjoy the society. Everyone is very helpful and welcoming.
I have been collecting red ambulances lately and I doubt you will threaten my run, but we will see...
Have fond memories of being Hittish in COTM I, which I played a couple months ago. That ended for me with a low score and premature cultural victory because it was a large map but set to 100,000.
Advantages of the Hittites:
- Commercial. While it doesn't give free techs or half price anything, every time I look at one of my 70% corrupt cities, I say "thank God for the commercial trait, or this city would be 75% corrupt!"
- Expansionist. This trait gives you an initial scout and the ability to build more, all of which you can disband for two shields apiece when you discover that you're on an island. Or you can keep them around to be killed by barbarians. The possibilities are limitless!
- Three man chariot. Can't recall ever wishing chariots were buffed... or actually building one at all. Still, there's a lot of good things about this unit, though many of them are off-color jokes about its name. The unit takes up a lot of room on a tile, and at least on my computer, the horses look blue, so if you squint you can pretend they're blue elephants - at least until they lose a battle. But even that's a win, because their dying animation is cool.
- Leader. Ladies find Mursilis roguishly handsome, and love how his name is pronounced "merciless", so female leaders will tend to be Gracious, or at least Polite with you.
Disadvantages of Hittites: None
Fun Trivia Facts:
- A 3-man chariot can defeat an F15, as long as the F15 is parked.
- The Hittite capital and their third city have the same name, so to avoid confusion, professional players commonly rename one of them "Poop Town"
- The cities Alisar Huyuk and Alana Huyuk translate in Hittese to "Alisar Spits" and "Alana Spits."
I suspect Ruin is going to race to the top of the charts when the Results and Congratulations come out early January.
Thank you for your unwarranted confidence, Captain. I am at least going to beat the AI anyway. Already having a lot of fun - cool map, templar_x!
My first GOTM for like....years. (So long ago that I don't even remember my old name and can't be bothered to run through old posts.) Found my discs, got them working in win10 and thought....why not? (can't get the screen res thing to work but thats a minor detail.)
I might be coming in last here.
Please refrain from posting spoilers until suitable notice is given.
We will solicit the first spoilers covering the time up until the FP is available or the capital has reached a population of 12 in just four days. Further spoiler relaxations will then follow.
The game now runs for a total of three months, so there is plenty of time.
Separate names with a comma.