[C3C] COTM157 Hittites Regent -- Discussion and Spoilers

Please refrain from posting spoilers until suitable notice is given.

We will solicit the first spoilers covering the time up until the FP is available or the capital has reached a population of 12 in just four days. Further spoiler relaxations will then follow.

The game now runs for a total of three months, so there is plenty of time.

Opps. I was so excited I messed up. Thanks for letting me know.

Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

From the department of remarkable coincidences that no one else will care about: in my last two solo games, the "final boss" rival civ was the Hittites, and the eighth luxury was spices. In both games I started WW3 on general principle rather than pay 200 GPT or raise my luxury slider. Will *my* Hittites be able to defend our precious spices from interlopers? We shall see! (in a later spoiler)

-----

Started by sending my scout up a mountain. Ooh, a cow! Love cows. Settled north of it. Studying Writing. Didn't keep a turn log so archaeology has to be done from save files. Each dated entry in this post refers to stuff that happened since the last one. Terminus ante quem.

3450 BC - Met Henry the Portuguese. He was a real idiot who didn't even know his ABCs, so I taught him for 35 gold.

3100 BC - We still have only one city but a settler on the way.

2900 BC - Tarsus has been founded. Got an unskilled warrior, whom I later murdered along with the scouts to make a granary one turn faster in our capital. We seem to be on an island, so we are building a curragh. Still trying to learn to write. Decide the Portuguese will have to go. I'm not a warmonger, but my number one rule is never share a land mass with another civ. (Even Pangaea maps usually have little islands which are perfect for AIs).

1375 BC - Finally learned Writing and had a choice to trade Henry for Wheel or Ironworking. Chose The Wheel because I wanted to see if we had horses for our idiotic UU. Great, we don't but he has *two*, and, like the lazy inconsiderate jerk that he is, hasn't hooked the second ones up to trade with us. We have five cities. They have four.

The little curragh sailed south and met two other civs and their leaders. "Smoke," a braggart with hideous distended earlobes, and Julius, a cautious, well-mannered chap whom I took a liking to immediately. He taught us Ironworking, and we do have some of that stuff, so it looks like the Portuguese will be put to the sword rather than being arched to death.

First to Philosophy, took CoL, and working Republic. Not going to do the Great Library because everyone else is stupid and backwards.

1075 BC - Iron is hooked. Ten seems like a nice round number so I set out to build or upgrade ten swordsmen for my attack force. Built Tyrana 2 tiles away from Oporto, the Portuguese horse city, but left my troops loitering on a nearby mountain in case it flipped. Henry suspects nothing
IMG_20211017_182218781.jpg

975 BC - A beauty named Theodora builds the Colossus. I would like to meet her. We have seven cities and the Portuguese have five, so hopefully she'll be impressed by my twelve cities. Or my ten swordsmen, who are actually seven swordsmen, 2 archers, and a spearman. Instead, I meet the Incans and their shady leader, "Rico". He's not bad looking and he's got a higher score than me. Need to keep him away from Theodora.

875 BC - Guess ten was overkill. Henry only had a spearman and a warrior defending and we suffered no casualties. Built Ankuwa directly on top of the horses. On to Guimares. Curragh chugs along. No Theodora, it's just Incans all the way down..

710 BC - We've built the Heroic City of Kadesh where Guimares once stood. We've conquered Lisbon. Lagos is their new capital, stupidly placed because Henry is frightened by whales. Portugal is down to three cities. Probably will try to make a peace treaty for at least one of them so I don't have to walk so far, and then violate it as soon as I have 3 man chariots and am finally a Republic. Won't affect my reputation if I kill all the Portuguese before anyone else meets them. "Wow, what an amazing island," people will say. "Yeah, I can't believe I spawned here all by myself!" We met "Ozzie" the Ottoman, a fat derelict with a matted beard. He's Polite enough, but it's easy to tell he's a creep and a deviant. Will warn Theodora about him. We're allowed to build the Forbidden Palace. Gonna do it in Lisbon. Will stash Henry's body in the mine that replaces his nasty irrigated grassland.

Last edited:
My Hittites founded Abbey Road in 3900 B.C. then proceeded to build the towns of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr in that order. When we met Portugal we were even on tech, but my Curragh put me in touch with the Mayans, Romans, and Incans. I was able to trade tech back and forth well enough to pull ahead of the others, and I got Republic via the slingshot establishing the Republic of Beatle Island in 1275 B.C.

Domestic Advisor.jpg

Portugal demanded tech from me but declined to declare war when I refused. Rome did declare war and I was not worried about them until they attacked and destroyed my only colonial outpost, Shea Stadium. That was ok though. I should concentrate on my home island before thinking of expansion beyond. (In later years I rebuilt it.)

SheaStadium.jpg

In 130 A.D. I am able to build the Forbidden Palace. I am at war with all the nations I know except Portugal. My plan is to develop a horde of cavalry and sweep the Portugese into the sea then fight wars only for vital resources. At Regent I expect to succeed, but it is far from certain. I am still holding onto the possibility of a diplomatic victory and am being careful of my reputation. If that fails it will be the spaceship, my least favored V.C.

EmpireAtForbiddenPalace.jpg

Portugal is down to three cities. Probably will try to make a peace treaty for at least one of them so I don't have to walk so far, and then violate it as soon as I have 3 man chariots and am finally a Republic. Won't affect my reputation if I kill all the Portuguese before anyone else meets them.

I never knew that you could preserve reputation by keeping your treachery a secret. I wasn't advanced enough to have that as an option, but it's interesting to know.

Nice post Ruin! I think you took a photo of your screen to post an image. There is a program called HyperSnap that is either free or cheap that lets you take jpeg screen shots and edit them for future posting. I think you would like it. I do.

I never knew that you could preserve reputation by keeping your treachery a secret. I wasn't advanced enough to have that as an option, but it's interesting to know.

Nice post Ruin! I think you took a photo of your screen to post an image. There is a program called HyperSnap that is either free or cheap that lets you take jpeg screen shots and edit them for future posting. I think you would like it. I do.

Caught! I did take some screenshots with the default Windows snipping tool, but found it annoying to have to paste each one into "Paint 3D" and save it. I'm a Linux guy normally. I'll try your recommended program.

Also, what is best to do to insert images into posts here in the neat way you did it? I dragged in four images which seemed to be inserted inline, but then my post was too long so I clicked things and banged keys until three of them were accidentally deleted.

I learned the trick about reputation in COTM I. I didn't even know about suicide boats then, so it was the industrial age before I reached the other continent. By that time the other civs on mine were landlocked by me and I frantically butchered them before anyone was the wiser.

Glad you enjoyed my post, I liked yours too and loled at your memorable city names. We had some exciting antics by "Shea Stadium" as well.

I am busy with work but am going to try your Spanish GOTM soon, as long as I am able to run it in the Steam version.

I am busy with work but am going to try your Spanish GOTM soon, as long as I am able to run it in the Steam version.
Unfortunately the Game of the Month, as opposed to Conquest of the Month, can not be played on Steam. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think to play the Game of the Month you need the actual Play The World discs. I bought them on eBay and have an old computer that is only used for Play the World. I have another less old computer that is only used for the Civ3 Conquest Games of the Month. I don't know how or if I will be able to continue playing if those computers break down.

Long ago GOTM player here, so many laptops and years ago I don't remember my old name. I haven't dug through old threads to see if I can find it.

Completely messed up my game log (its been that long) but remember a few things.

(1) I haven't lost that many archers to spears before.
(2) Only got to 3 goody-huts, a fourth was one turn out of my reach
(3) Played waaaaaay to slow initially. Fell back into my old builder habits instead.
(4) Ended up missing my FP location (Portugal got there first and the AI mis-settled it), forced to use Portugal's location.

I'm curious to see if anyone got a 4-turn settler factory going early. I got it going later than I should have.

Unfortunately the Game of the Month, as opposed to Conquest of the Month, can not be played on Steam. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think to play the Game of the Month you need the actual Play The World discs. I bought them on eBay and have an old computer that is only used for Play the World. I have another less old computer that is only used for the Civ3 Conquest Games of the Month. I don't know how or if I will be able to continue playing if those computers break down.
If it's for the PTW artwork, those are available to download from here. And switching between disc and Steam based games requires only a one line change to a text file. I don't know of any other reason the physical disc versions would be required.

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

Need to think about victory conditions. Don't feel like domination or conquest because it would be a slog on this map. Would have to invent better boats, discover the rest of the civs, and then ship troops there. And someone else will probably be able to accomplish this by like 600 AD. Same thing with culture victories. I've only won those by accident and the people who set out to do it on purpose surely have an advantage. Score? Jason is calibrated to negate my feeble milking attempts. So it comes down to space or diplomacy. What would impress Theodora more? Being the best at kissing hands and shaking babies? Or erecting a massive shiny throbbing rocketship? So space it is, even though I've never won a game that way before.

430 BC
We are a Republic. We disbanded the scouts and any regular troops to save unit support. I remember how I used to think Monarchy was the best government until I started watching Suede videos. Now feel a bit ashamed by my former ignorance at how to wage war in a representative government. But I don't plan to be constantly scrapping anyway because of all the oceans.

I've ordered the construction of three (3) chariots, each large enough to hold three (3) burly, oiled up warriors. Back to war with Portugal. One chariot is put temporarily out of commission by barbarians. Another dies attacking a Portuguese city. Only one left, and this time I make sure the enemy units are redlined so I don't have to build any more of these hateful things. It wins. Gooooolden age!

430 bc (1).png

330 BC
Besides one citizen in Lisbon, the Portuguese are extinct. We have fourteen cities and are developing "Florida", a marshy peninsula, so I can stick two more on it and the chariots won't get bogged down in the mud.
330 bc florida (2).png

Going through an infrastructure phase:
1. unit support too high
2. grow cities above size six
3. build buildings, not troops.
4. no more useful buildings to build
5. build troops
6. repeat
The good thing about having a large, idle military is that barbarians cower in fear from us. We are studying Currency and at least two techs ahead of everyone else. Well, Rico and Ozzie know Monarchy, but I don't care about that. Building the Great Lighthouse which is supposed to be good on these watery maps.

330 bc byzant).png

A curragh sights maroon borders! I will richly reward the captain in 500 years when he completes circumnavigating the globe.

250 BC
Enter the Middle Ages, discover mirrors, and realize I've been wearing a filthy rag on my head for the last 3,750 years. Hastily remove it. No wonder Theodora is only Polite with me!

250 bc (3).png

Last edited:
As we started the game without any Food Bonus, the best we could do was a ten-turn Settler factory. There was one available with 30 + 30 shields producing say a Horseman and a Settler. However, research to The Republic would be so fast, that this Settler Factory would soon be replaced by a more efficient one.

We would found five cities before establishing Republic, whereof the most strategically interesting one is Tarsus, which was founded by a Settler popped from a Goody Hut. By this time, we had met Portugal and could guess where they were at, so the Settler wandered north on the west side of the large lake and inflated our reach in this direction.

4000 BC Found Hattusas
3250 BC Found Tarsus
2390 BC Found Ugarit
2070 BC Found Harran
1650 BC Found Hattusha​

Research bee-lined towards The Republic. Many Technologies could be learned from Portugal, our only Contact, at this point. Research was set to Map Making under the general assumption that the Regent-level AI would not contribute much at all.

4000 BC Discover Pottery
4000 BC Discover Alphabet
2630 BC Discover Writing
1750 BC Discover Code of Laws
1550 BC Discover Philosophy
1550 BC Discover The Republic
1550 BC Learn Warrior Code
1550 BC Learn The Wheel
1550 BC Learn Mysticism
1550 BC Learn Iron Working
1550 BC Learn Horseback Riding
1550 BC Learn Ceremonial Burial
1550 BC Learn Bronze Working​

The Scout only did find two Huts before his demise at the hands of Barbarians. But that Settler came in handy, see above.

3950 BC Pop Hut Scout: Maps
3550 BC Meet Portugal
3500 BC Pop Hut Scout: Settler
2390 BC Scout killed by Barbarians
1575 BC Establish Anarchy
1475 BC Establish Republic Research Map Making​

The stretch from The Republic to the Middle Ages was as often rather uneventful.

1225 BC Found Ankuwa
1225 BC Connect Horses
1175 BC Found Kadesh
1125 BC Found Adana
0900 BC Found Hubishna
0850 BC Found Alaca Huyuk
0710 BC Found Emar​

I waited with Mathematics hoping for a trade, but no luck.

1175 BC Learn Masonry
1175 BC Discover Map Making
1050 BC Discover Literature
0950 BC Discover Mathematics
0800 BC Discover Currency
0650 BC Discover Construction
0570 BC Discover Polytheism​

At the very entry into the Middle Ages, we were prepared to take on and attempt to annihilate Portugal. All their base are belong to us!

1175 BC Meet Maya
0900 BC Meet Rome
0800 BC Meet Netherlands
0710 BC Meet Byzantines
0570 BC War Portugal
0570 BC Meet Inca
0570 BC Enter Middle Ages​

@ Piu -
So did you build a granary in the capital for that combo factory, or something of that kind? And what was your initial scout move?
t_x

I forget when I last didn't build a Granary in the Capital... Seems absurd.

I settled in place. Built a Warrior in 3650 BC and a Granary in 2800 BC. I irrigated the Plains, mined the Sugar and mined the BG not caring to road the intermediate tiles. Scout went to the western Volcano and then on westwards, north towards the Portuguese, south again and was killed.

Spoiler Limit: Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Times or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

Top Bottom