[C3C] COTM157 Hittites Regent -- Discussion and Spoilers

Interesting...
Always thought that being at least "polite" with them, guarantees their vote, but perhaps the Ottomans were "gracious" with the Dutch?
However, declaring war against the other candidate and then signing your "voters" up against this common enemy, is always a fool-proof way to get the UN victory.

A.A.R. Industrial Age Onward (I hope this report is not ahead of the deadline. I didn't hark the herald, but I might have missed it.)

I enter the Industrial Age strong having taken my continent whole from Portugal in the Saltpeter Wars. I know that I will soon need Coal, Rubber, and Aluminum and I know I will go to war for these resources. I expect to not have them but I am gratified to find coal on my continent. Thank you Templar_x! I rail the entire continent with my too-meager cadre of workers.

1590 A.D. I do not have rubber, and for that I begin The Rubber War. There were options, but I chose to attack Byzantium and take Varda. It was on a peninsula and the rubber could be more easily protected from a military attack. In retrospect taking Incan rubber might have been wiser, but it would surely have been more difficult. I take Varda easily and soon establish peace and Gracious relations with Byzantium, but war with Rome and Inca persists.

In the meantime I also attack and invade Rome to get a second source of Rubber just in case. That war is bloodier. I try to take Rome itself to get the Pyramids but I don’t really pull it off and settle for a strong base of three cities surrounding the rubber that I fortify. My multitude of bombers are very, very handy. I don’t think one can ever have enough bombers!
Rubber Soul.jpg

1700: I build the United Nations. At the peak of my war with Inca I had gracious relations with almost everyone else but those feelings eroded just before the vote. My opponent was Inca and I did not win, but I did not lose either. I prepare for an invasion of the Incan mainland and butter up my neighbors. In 1802 another vote is held and I win a diplomatic victory.
Rubber Soul.jpg
Victory.jpg

Thanks again to Templar_X for creating the game and to Piu Fredo for organizing. I enjoyed it.

The moral of the lesson is when given a choice of victories, never choose Diplomatic
I also learned that lesson.

----------------------

1150 AD- I'm about halfway thru the Industrial era when the Inca drop off a medieval infantry and declare war. According to the F8 screen the Inca were 1st in land area, so I thought this was fortunate and brought the rest of the world into the war.

1305 AD- "The rampaging Incan forces have destroyed the Ottomans."
Well, there goes a potential vote down the tubes.

1345 AD- The UN is built and the voting screen comes up and the opponent is...the Netherlands!:eek: What? After staring at the screen for several minutes wondering what happened I click Mursilis and the vote comes up as inconclusive, because of 2 or 3 abstentions. I punch F8 and the screen says the Netherlands is leading in world population and the Inca are leading in land area. I end the war with the Inca and bring everyone into war with the Netherlands, not even pausing to think about any ramifications of breaking alliances.

1400 AD- The vote comes up again vs. the Netherlands and again it is inconclusive:mad:. This is because of a couple of AI's abstaining(I now think back to breaking those alliances vs. the Inca:cry:). At this point I save and set the game aside, too irritated to know if I will come back to it.

About a week later-
1455 AD- The third vote comes up and the opponent is...the Inca!?:crazyeye: The whole world is at war with the Netherlands and they, of course, abstain. And probably because of MPP's and a bunch of free tech the Byzantines, Maya and the Romans vote for Mursilis. Finally a majority!!!:woohoo:

F8 reveals that the Inca now have the population & land area lead.

That was quite a roller coaster ride!

Last edited:
Piu's response to:

milr said:
"I have no idea how Piu Freddo could run the tech tree through a space race and win in 1285"

was absolutely supercalifragilisticexpialidosis! I will replay COTM157 as I have spare time (I've been retired for 25 years) as I work on improving my meager CIVIII ability.

And I will continue to bother FIraxsis to get the Incomplete "Complete" completed on STEAM.

Interesting...
Always thought that being at least "polite" with them, guarantees their vote, but perhaps the Ottomans were "gracious" with the Dutch?
However, declaring war against the other candidate and then signing your "voters" up against this common enemy, is always a fool-proof way to get the UN victory.

I thought that as well, and thought that since they had a Trade Embargo against the Dutch, they would be less than Polite with the Dutch. But perhaps not.

Either way, as you say, the best way to win a Diplomatic victory is via a war against the other candidate. I was expecting to see a similar defeat in Takeo's story, especially after the first inconclusive vote, but was surprised that in the end, he did manage to achieve a diplomatic victory - but via the war method.

Middle Ages

90 BC - We completed The Great Lighthouse. We tried to build the Statue of Zeus, but the Mayans beat us to it. At some point we build Knights Templar.

190 AD - We discover the Dutch. This is like if the US sent two boats from California, one north around Eurasia and the other one south around Africa, and discovered Puerto Rico only after sailing around the world. Plan to execute my admirals to hide my own incompetence and so I don't have to pay them the bonus for meeting Theodora. Then more embarrassing discoveries. The Dutch homeland is not their homeland after all, just an island practically next door that rightfully should be ours. I name it Newfoundland, and while planning an invasion, we discover an even closer, unoccupied island that we name Cuba.

We hastily plan to settle Cuba, but when we arrive, there's a Byzantine settler/spearman pair. My men murder them and attempt to hide their bodies in the sea, but are caught. Theodora refuses to accept my explanations that their deaths were accidental, and declares war on us.

350 AD - Phony war with the Byzantines draws to a close. Cuba has long since been occupied. Attack the Dutch.

470 AD - Liberation of Newfoundland is complete, and we sign a peace treaty with the Dutch. I discover that William has allowed Theodora to build a summer palace/winery on his continent, probably so he can peep through her windows. I try to warn her of the threat, but she's too Cautious of me to listen.

510 AD - Discover a bunch of islands in the middle of nowhere. Surely our crafty Lord and creator of this world, Templar_X placed valuable resources on them. The ships sent to settle these islands must cross through Mayan waters. Even though we only have to cut through ONE square, Smoke is a giant baby about it and complains constantly.

530 AD - Dutch, Byzantine, and Mayan ships constantly infringe on our territorial waters, but I dare not challenge them lest they declare war to get out of paying their debts.

580 AD - The Mayans land a warrior next to the island town of Alalah, located just west of our continent. I do not notice him, and the next turn they declare war on us and he suicides on the swordsman defender. Welp, don't have to feel bad about crossing their sea squares any more. I enlist Julius as an ally, since he has a city in the midst of Mayan territory, on the peninsula to our south.

610 AD - Destroy the peninsular city of Lagartero. Want to replace it, not on the old city site, but in the marsh on the very tip so we can get the whale. Block off the peninsula so the Romans don't get any ideas.

630 AD - Try to take Palenque but fail. Survivors cluster on a mountain peak and wait for reinforcements

650 AD - Destroy Palenque. The Romans have been of no use, having even lost the city of Antium to their rivals. However, I reassure Julius that I appreciate his moral support.

660 AD - Troops advance towards Chichen Itza. I use the bottleneck on the peninsula as a waystation for wounded troops to heal, and send captured Mayan workers to clear the marshlands.

710 AD - Prepare the final assault on Chichen Itza. Attacking force is 3 crusaders, 2 knights, swordsman and a cannon. Strongest defender showing is a javelin thrower, but for some reason a pikeman and trebuchet are prancing around outside the city.

730 AD - Goodbye Mayan capital. Nothing left of value that we could hold, so we begin to evacuate the continent.

750 AD - Working on Magellan's Voyage and Copernicus' Observatory. Found the city New Tarsus near where Lagartero once stood. The Mayan continent has become a mess, as the Byzantines, Dutch and Incans swoop in like jackals. The Incans are the first to settle the barren land to obtain Ivory. I do not care - Theodora is once again Polite with me, and offers to "Show Me Hers" if I "Show Her Mine", though unfortunately she is talking about Maps.

770 AD - Have finished settling the three islands in the middle of nowhere, and discover a fourth! Ooh, it has bonus grassland, and probably rubber or uranium! Send settler. Congratulate my ally Julius on finally being able to retake Antium.

790 AD - Orderly evacuation complete, we sign a peace treaty with the Mayans.

810 AD - The crusader guarding the bottleneck near New Tarsus gets bored and starts building a fortress. Byzantines build a city down there too.

840 AD - After 240 years of war the Romans finally go on the offensive and conquer Tikal, which I alternately like to pronounce "Tickle" or properly, but in a Method Man voice.

850 AD - The Romans build Hispalis in the Mayan wasteland. The wretched Mayans are down to 3 cities. Go Julius! Romans surpass the Mayans by one point in score, 315-314. We're in first with 765. Incans in second with 611. Power graph shows we are as strong as the next four civilizations put together.

900 AD - Plotting an invasion of the Netherlands. We have 5 turns left on our peace deal, which I don't care about, but I do like getting their silks for free as long as possible. Mayans are down to two cities.

920 AD - 17 turns til Smith's is built in Lisbon

940 AD - Five caravels, loaded with cannons and crusaders, wait near Utrecht. A second shipment will bring the faster-moving knights and cavalry.

960 AD - Take Utrecht. Commando units (crusader, pikeman, longbowman) blow up the Dutch iron mines in the north to prevent them from building their stupid Swiss Mercenaries. The Romans and Mayans finally make peace. Didn't bother enlisting any allies vs the Dutch - we're just too amazing to need any.

1000 AD - Conquer Amsterdam, learn Magnetism, and enter the Industrial Age

Last edited:
Industrial Age

1020 AD - Take Eindhoven, splitting the Dutch continent in two. Will have silks on the border expand. Building Newton's. (Previously constructed Magellans and Copernicus and working on Smith's). Learning Nationalism. Have Banking, Chemistry, and Navigation over everybody.

1040 AD - Conquer The Hague, on the eastern tip of the Dutch continent. They now have 5 cities remaining, 3 in the north and 2 in the south

1050 AD - Found new town near Sardica to be closer to my love. Name it Theodora Town to distract her from the fact that she lost access to her horses.

1060 AD - Have settled bonus grassland island with Poop Town. Incans have a tundra island named Juli, but we have all the rest.

1090 AD - Capture Groningen

1100 AD - Capture Haarlem. Completed Smith's, working on JS Bach, learning Steam Power

1110 AD - Capture Maastricht. Dutch have two towns left on the southern tip of their continent.

1120 AD - Send 4 galleons of troops south. Also sign open borders with Theodora to surround Dutch capital of Amhem or Arnhern (letters kind of blurry on my laptop)

1130 AD - Conquer Amhelm. Surround last Dutch city of Middelburg

1140 AD - Eliminate Dutch. Did have one city flip, but starved all but the last two down to size 1.

1150 AD - Nothing much happens, so I will take this decade to boast about how much I improved both my ship and irrigation chaining skills in this game, as well as already being really good at "the shuck" (full transport goes over, empty one comes back, repeat ad infinitum) from my days as an Axis and Allies pro.

1160 AD - Attempt to visit Theodora in Sardica and accidentally capture the city. She is not amused. Spread all my troops out over the Dutch continent so she can't make any landings she might regret.

1230 AD - Peace with Theodora. She is now Furious with me for reasons I can't understand. Order my crusaders to make fortresses on every tile on the former Dutch continent in an effort to impress her and win her back.

1250 AD - Found the city of Dutch Oven on the north of that continent to obtain two whales the late William neglected.
Still working on Bach, and now Military Academy. Learning Replaceable Parts. Still the only one in the Industrial Era.

1285 AD - Holy crap! That treacherous simpering backstabber Julius has betrayed us! He attacks the crusader stationed at the bottleneck south of New Tarsus with an Army of medieval infantry! Fortunately my workers had expanded the fortress there into a barricade. Things could get ugly, as the majority of my troops are stationed half a world away. New Tarsus is only defended by a lone medieval infantry, and I reinforce with a cavalry, but misload my galleon, missing the chance to put an additional two infantry there. Sign military alliances with every other nation in the world against the Romans, and swear Vengeance!

1290 AD - New Tarsus holds. Forgot his army only has two moves, and he kills the med inf defender, but I have time to further reinforce.

1295 AD - Seven boatloads of troops steam towards Rome. In another blunder, I forget that my armies are still small enough to be transported by galleon, and leave them behind. However, the Roman medinf army has been destroyed and a force of 2 conscript infantry, 1 reg inf, 1 vet inf, a cannon and a vet guerilla now surround Ravenna.

1300 AD - Ravenna falls, but that idiot Smoke is blocking the land route to Rome with a single longbowman. Some ally! Theodora however is impressed by my clutch victories and is Polite again!

1305 AD - Complete Bach. Land forces outside Roman city of Tikal

1310 AD - Conquer Tikal. Massive armada finally arrives and lands troops outside Roman Bonampak

1315 AD - Raze Bonampak to spite Smoke. Surround Hispalis

1320 AD - Take Hispalis. Surround Antium. Useless allies have lost Naissus (Byz) and Chiquitapo (Inc) to the Romans

1325 AD - War machine marches on. Take Antium. Surround Pompeii

1330 AD - Take Pompeii. Now at the very gates of Rome!

1335 AD - Declare war on Mayans and take their city of YakChitling because they keep getting in my way.

1340 AD - Conquer Mayan capital of Copan and Roman capital of Rome on the same turn! Control Leo's and Hanging Gardens(rome). Mayans eliminated. Thankful I no longer have to look at Smoke's earlobes. Found city of New Rome next door so I can have access to four cows. Love cows.

1345 AD - Capture Roman Chuqita and Cumae. They are down to four cities.

1350 AD - Conquer Roman Naissus and Neapolis. Had a sweet palace prebuild on ToE - only 4 turns remain.

1355 AD - Conquer Pisae and Veii and eliminate Romans. They got what they deserved! Instead of admiring my awesomeness, Theodora signs a Mutual Protection Pact with that deviant Ozzie. He must be whispering filthy lies to her because now she's annoyed with me. I resolve to destroy him for stealing my Girl. She looks so pretty in her Industrial Garments!

1360 AD - Build Maya City where Bonerpak once stood to memorialize my former foes. 51% of land, 66% of world population

1365 AD - Finish ToE, get Atomic Theory and Electronics. 26 Turns until Hoover?? Dam!

1400 AD - Declare war on Incans in case Rico gets any big ideas like Julius did.

1405 AD - Destroy an Incan city that had a dumb name. Finish IRONWORKS in Delft! I've never built this before and let me tell you, it feels great.

1410 AD - Destroy another dumb Incan city. Found Capetown on their former land to more efficiently genocide them. 56% of land so we must be mindful of the Domination limit.

1415 AD - Destroy Nascar. Found Furryville to get the Furs, what else?

1425 AD - Raze Vitcos

1435 AD - Raze Tiwaniku. Found Choke Point on the chokepoint (duh) between Fur Island and the main Incan Continent

1440 AD - Raze Oleomargarine. Incan cities are defended by musketmen and pikemen vs my cavalry and artillery

1450 AD - Raze Vilcabamba and the Incan capital Cuzco which contained the Temple of Artemis. Sometimes when I capture this city I rename it Costco, but this time I used the captured workers to road the rubble so no trace of it ever existed.

1455 AD - Raze Macchu Pichu and the Sistine Chapel. Raze Coraclehiney. Build Incenseton from its rubble.

1460 AD - Raze Vilcas which I swear I just did two turns ago. Build the town of Hill Fort, though I cannot remember why.

1465 AD - Raze Huamongus. Build "Fort 2" also for now inexplicable reasons.

1470 AD - Raze Ica and capture Arequipa, the final mainland Incan city before we reach Turkey. Don't raze it because it's on a chokepoint and has a barracks and the Incans will be gone soon anyway. Land troops on the tundra island of Juli

1475 AD - Goodbye Uncle Rico. This game is now a love triangle. 61/80%. 1616 pts vs 517 for Ottomans and 467 for my darling. Have 4x as much power as the other two civs combined. Why is everyone so furious with me?

1480 AD - Abandon Hill Fort and replace with Farmville, to get the wheat. Want to have the most arable 65% that I can.

1485 AD - Give Juli and its oil - Rico couldn't even be bothered to spell his girlfriend's name right - to Theodora. Found Spytown on the nearest coastline for no reason, I'm not planning anything. Abandon Fort 2 and Incenseton and replace with Horseton

1490 AD - Sign RoP with Ozzie so I can rail his land - not because I have any ulterior motives - I'm just a nice guy.

1495 AD - Complete Hoover Dam. Declare war on Ozzie, destroying all three of his cities on the western of his two mini-continents. Justify these shady tactics by telling Theodora that he looks like a pervert. Her MPP with him just expired, so she must agree.

1500 AD - Raze Istanbul and two other cities. Build Bridge on the bridge between these two continents

1510 AD - Use workers to block Theodora's settler boats. I've already got a nice place picked out for her to live.

1515 AD - Raze some city whose name has been lost to antiquity

1520 AD - Raze Edsel

1525 AD - Raze Umberto, the last Ottoman city on their mainland. Their capital is now Sinop, on the southern tip of Byzantine land. Why are these two natural enemies so chummy? Very suspicious. Wait, their capital is NOT Sinop, I've discovered an island to the north that contains Kaka. Darn Templar_X and his islands. At least I should have a lot of aluminium and uranium.

1530 AD - Make peace with Ozzie. Hey Theodora - Nice Nicea you've got there.

1535 AD - Cross the one sea tile and drop about 25 units including settler and workers next to Nicaea.

1540 AD - Accidentally capture Nicea while searching for Turkish sex pests. Destroy Adrianople, also accidentally. Found Not Nicea opposite Nicea, just like those two cities in Lord of the Rings.

1550 AD - Destroy Caesarea and Smyrna in a fit of rage since Theodora won't talk to me

1555 AD - Sack Varna. Still getting silent treatment.

1560 AD - Learn Motorized Transportation and enter the Modern Age, fortunately once again on speaking terms with my beloved. Surround Constantinople and order my air force to bombard it with leaflets asking her on a date.

Last edited:
1550 AD - Destroy Caesarea and Smyrna in a fit of rage since Theodora won't talk to me

1555 AD - Sack Varna. Still getting silent treatment.

1560 AD - Learn Motorized Transportation and enter the Modern Age, fortunately once again on speaking terms with my beloved. Surround Constantinople and order my air force to bombard it with leaflets asking her on a date.

Anthropomorphism. I do it every time, and it is satisfying.

Oftentimes, 'Otto' is Germany...

I am truly embarrassed by my shortsightedness and will correct this massive faux pas as soon as I get to a computer that has search and replace. I even played as the great man in my previous game! I suppose this error was made because I typically think of Chancellor Bismarck's first name as "Iron" or "His Serene Highness". I hereby apologize to you, the other players, and any Junkers who may be reading this

1565 AD -
Me: Did the leaflets work? Did she say yes?

Hittite AF General: Your highness, we accidentally used real bombs. We destroyed Constantinople and with it the Colossus, the Great Library, the Great Wall, the Mausoleum of...

Me: It doesn't matter. What do you think would work better, skywriting, or pulling one of those banners?

Found Bush Town in some jungle next to a banana. I'm not sure why I thought this was a good location, or why I didn't call it Banana Town.

1570 AD - Raze Heraclea. Build Kulpepe, which has a Hittite name because I abandoned all my island cities to avoid going over the domination limit. Finally catch up with the Byzantine navy and sink each boat after I make sure the Empress is not aboard.

1575 AD - Destroy Trebizond, the last mainland Byzantine city. Sign peace treaty with Theodora, who declares that she wouldn't date me if I was the last man on Earth. Decide to call her bluff.

1580 AD - Declare war on the Ottomans, and by declare war, for the last 1500 years whenever I've said this I've actually meant "move into their land and attack them to show my utter contempt for the diplomatic process" Raze Sinop. Carrier based bombers destroy the spearmen defending their island city Kaka and I land 2 infantry, 2 cavalry and 2 guerillas next door.

1585 AD - Raze Kafa, eliminating the Ottomans and finally freeing the world from Ozzie's perverse tyranny. I assure my generals that even though we never located the children he supposedly kidnapped, that doesn't mean there weren't any or that I made the whole thing up .

Order my bombers to make craters in the snow outside Juli that spell out "Mursilis + Theodora 4 Ever" Once again, this tactic not only fails to impress her, but leads to war, probably because they drew the heart upside down so it looked like a butt.

1585 - 1720 AD - Abandon Poop City, Furrytown, Dutch Oven, and several other cities because I was in danger of exceeding the domination limit, and Theodora thought their names were "immature"

1720 AD - Trade Theodora into the modern era in the hopes that she would get Fission with her free tech. She doesn't but it's worth it to see her in that red dress.

1778 AD - Finally complete spaceship. Theodora reluctantly agrees to accompany me. Feel I've got a good shot, since she never said anything about "last man on Alpha Centauri"

----------------------------------

Overall this was a great game and I had a lot of fun. Much thanks to templar_x, Piu Freddo, and anyone who actually read my spoilers. It was my first spaceship victory, and though it was a little slow, I feel I stand an excellent chance of having the fastest time in future COTMs if nobody else goes for that victory condition, or if they forget to submit their save files.

Last edited:
Top Bottom