[C3C] COTM159 Scandinavia Emperor -- Discussion and Spoilers

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
COTM 159: Scandinavia
Cover Photo.jpg

"Lo, it is nearly 350 years that we and our fathers have inhabited this most lovely land, and never before has such terror appeared in Britain as we have now suffered from a pagan race, nor was it thought that such an inroad from the sea could be made. Behold, the church of St. Cuthbert spattered with the blood of the priests of God, despoiled of all its ornaments; a place more venerable than all in Britain is given as a prey to pagan peoples."

-Alcuin, Letter to Ethelred, King of Northumbria, 793 A.D.

"In the same year the pagans from the northern regions came with a naval force to Britain like stinging hornets and spread on all sides like fearful wolves, robbed, tore and slaughtered not only beasts of burden, sheep and oxen, but even priests and deacons, and companies of monks and nuns. And they came to the church of Lindisfarne, laid everything waste with grievous plundering, trampled the holy places with polluted steps, dug up the altars and seized all the treasures of the holy church. They killed some of the brothers, took some away with them in fetters, many they drove out, naked and loaded with insults, some they drowned in the sea..."

-Simeon of Durham, Historia Regum

He with a short knife must try, try again.

-Vapnfirdinga Saga

In Conquest of the Month 159 you rule as Ragnar over the Militaristic and Seafaring Scandinavians, who already know Alphabet and Warrior Code. Comforted and encouraged by the Norse Gods you will send your people far from your stark and forbidding homeland in search of treasure, resources, and green fields. They are ready for viking, and they spill over the gunwales of their longboats onto unsuspecting shores singing their battle hymn:

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore​

Your Berserks are terrifying and can use their longboats to wreak havoc on coastal cities, but the AI has significant advantages at the Emperor level. It will take strategic foresight and tactical cunning to achieve victory. Lykke til.

You will have two Unique Units available to you, either of which may trigger a golden age :
  • Viking Longboat
    • Available at Engineering
    • Attack 1/ Defense 1/ Movement 6/ Transport 4/ Not upgradable
    • Fast and seaworthy vessels to transport your hordes
    • n.b.: The Civilopedia entry describes the Dromon upon which this unit is based, not the actual Viking Longboat. Ignore it. (But your boat will sometimes breathe fire.)
  • Berserk
    • Now available at Feudalism.
    • Upgradable to Marine when Amphibious Assault is researched.

The map is designed to challenge your ability to:
  • Locate and secure vital resources
  • Develop sea lanes and maintain trade
  • Manage diplomatic relations with feisty neighbors
This game was created by Captain_Jack. [Takk så mye!]

Starting Position

COTM_159 Starting Position.jpg

Scope of the Game

Standard Map
Archipelago with 80% water
Temperate and 4 billion years old
Roaming Barbarians

Time Plan

The game is released on April 1, 2022.
Submissions are due by June 30, 2022.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Spoiler Limit: Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)

Last edited:
That looks like a 30 + 30 shields 6-turn Combo Settler Factory if I'm not quite mistaken. After a horsehocky-load of Worker turns. We don't even have a Forest. Perhaps churn out Curraghs in the mean time?

Two questions to Captain Jack:
  • The Berzerk can still be upgraded from Archers, right?
  • Can the Longboat be upgraded from standard Galleys? Or from Curraghs?

Two questions to Captain Jack:
  • The Berzerk can still be upgraded from Archers, right?
  • Can the Longboat be upgraded from standard Galleys? Or from Curraghs?
I do not know the answers to those questions. I do know that I only changed some Berserk characteristics and based the Longboat on the Dromon UU making it available to the Vikings, so they should be available as an upgrade if that is typical. In my trial games they worked well, but I don't really recall if I was able to make those upgrades. Sorry.

This looks like an interesting game, especially with fire-breathing longboats. The tile that catches my eye is the hill that would serve as a canal between the northern and southern seas, if a city was built there. Perhaps the land doesn't extend very far east, and it is irrelevant, but if it does... it would be nice to have a canal there.

Leaning towards moving 2 SW, to have the cow in the BFC and be able to settle the hill later without ICS. With at least two bonus grasslands as well as the cow, that location would be a pretty decent one to build.

Also interesting that we get to play the Vikings again - and the practice with them last quarter should help with this higher-difficulty game. Now, where might we find the English and their fine countryside?

Spoiler Limit: Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

I settled in place, where a 60-shield 6-turn combo factory was possible after
rather many Worker turns. In order to boost research on this apparently small
island, the first two build orders were Warriors, followed by the Granary and
then different combinations of Wealth, Settlers and Curraghs. During this period
of time, more or less, eight cities were founded on our little island.

4000 BC Found Trondheim
2430 BC Found Bergen
2150 BC Found Copenhagen
1990 BC Found Reykjavik
1750 BC Found Oslo
1550 BC Found Stockholm
1450 BC Found Birka
1300 BC Found Aarhus​

The Barbarian Hut on the island was popped at the foundation of Bergen and its
contents were, dissapointlingly, just Maps. However, the many Curraghs going in
all directions soon made Contact with several adversaries.

2350 BC Meet England
2190 BC Meet Russia
1950 BC Meet Zululand
1700 BC Meet Japan
1675 BC Meet Germany
1675 BC Meet France
1625 BC Meet Spain​

Research went towards the Republic Sling-Shot with an initial detour over
Pottery. My many Contacts allowed me to trade for several Technologies along the
way. Of course, I didn't trade Writing until I was sure to complete the
Sling-Shot, which I also did in 1050 BC.

4000 BC Discover Warrior Code
4000 BC Discover Alphabet
3250 BC Discover Pottery
1950 BC Learn The Wheel
1700 BC Discover Writing
1675 BC Learn Masonry
1625 BC Learn Ceremonial Burial
1625 BC Learn Bronze Working
1250 BC Learn Mysticism
1250 BC Learn Mathematics
1250 BC Learn Map Making
1250 BC Learn Iron Working
1250 BC Learn Horseback Riding
1250 BC Discover Code of Laws
1050 BC Discover Philosophy
1050 BC Discover The Republic​

I rolled three turns of Anarchy and then went towards the Middle Ages.
Unexpectedly, Russia beat me to Literature. Since when does the AI research
Literature!? The research of Currency went better and the Middle Ages were
reached in 775 BC. I was able to trade for Monotheism, but not for Engineering.

1075 BC Establish Anarchy
1025 BC Learn Polytheism
1000 BC Establish Republic
0950 BC Learn Literature From Russia
0775 BC Discover Currency
0775 BC Learn Construction From England
0775 BC Enter Middle Ages Germany: Monotheism, Russia: Engineering
0775 BC Learn Monotheism​

cotm_159_775_BC.jpg

Shortly thereafter, in 730 BC, I added four Workers to Trondheim which thereby
reached size 12. This made me eligible for this spoiler and, more importantly,
set to turn my focus outwards and begin the conquest of the world. I had seven
Towns and one City, one Curragh, four Galleys and seven Workers, but no military
units at all.

Spoiler Limit: Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

Spoiler Limit: Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

I liked this game. I actually finished it not in three months, but in three days! But I have disconnected my Windows 7 computer from the Internet and will have to collect the spoiler information from there before I can write the spoiler.

Now that the time limits have passed I will say that when I created this game my intention was to force the Vikings off their miserable home island onto one of the richer nearby continents. Personally I did best when I took over the Russian lands to the north, relocated my capital, and focused development off the island.

Well it's been somewhat interesting so far.

The barbarian hut popped angry barbs and of course the warrior gets killed. The first curragh sinks to the east. I send another west and find the English. They won't trade me bronze working, which is what I would need to start a 20k culture city. But they do trade me some other tech. Another curragh finally finds Russia to the east. They give me bronze working so I can start on the wonder build. Slowly but surely I find all the other rivals in the game.

The Japanese are the first to demand a technology. I tell them to shove it. They declare war. Since no one has Map Making yet, I just laugh. England and Spain end up demanding things from me with the same result. Fortunately I'm still able to trade around to get myself to the next age.

I manage to build the Colossus despite two turns of me being a dunderhead and letting the city go into civil disorder. Was the first to discover Polytheism so I built Artemis. Also the first to discover Philosophy, but that wonder was sniped as a cascade from the Japanese building GLH. I know it's bad culture per turn, but a permanent 3 unhappy citizens content in the culture city could be the difference of raising the lux slider or not. Fortunately I managed to get the Hanging Gardens and Great Library.

Unfortunately, I didn't think about the Japanese building GLH meant they were able to reach my home. I see a galley and they plop a single warrior onto my island. With one turn away from Republic, I hesitate. Should I do the revolution? There's another galley headed over. I decide to start the revolution. The Japanese warrior from the first galley meets the big boss man in the sky. The other galley dropped two warriors by Bergen. I kill one, but cannot kill the other warrior. It's promoted to elite. They take Bergen. With minimal troops left and a third galley dropping a spearmen into the village, there's no way I can allow this war to continue. I sue for peace. They want Republic and a stack of cash. Done.

For several turns I hoped that culture flips was turned on. It is, and Bergen flipped back over to me after a handful of turns.

Now I'm working on Sistine Chapel. England sent an archer onto my land. It died. Hoping soon to be able to make peace with England and Spain. I want an avenue of diplomatic victory in case 20k doesn't work out.

I know it's bad culture per turn, but a permanent 3 unhappy citizens content in the culture city could be the difference of raising the lux slider or not.

Good point.

Also, the ratio of shields to culture of the Museum of Mausollos is 200 shields to 2 culture per turn. That's the same ratio as a few other wonders, and MoM has a better shield cost to culture per turn ratio than the Temple of Artemis, the Great Wall, and the Great Lighthouse.

I want an avenue of diplomatic victory in case 20k doesn't work out.

A diplomatic victory can be assured by knowing who your opponent will be, which can be predictable based on the territory or population information in the victory condition screen, and then signing military alliances with everyone else against that opponent. But, that does suppose that you're in the election. Come to think of it, I don't know if elections of the U. N. are possible without the human player being one of the candidates.

Bach's was sniped from me - by a single turn! If I had gotten Bach's I likely could have won. It was that close. All I can think is those two turns of civil disorder cost me the game. I really need to do better about checking for disorder.

The Japanese destroyed the Zulu early on. It became quickly clear after losing Bach's that I couldn't keep up with the pace of the Russians. They were speeding ahead. In fact the Japanese and Russians were the main aggressors in this game. I decided to set my research to 0 and buy the techs from the Russians. The Japanese were trailing the Russians, so I figured I'd buy from the Russians and sell to the Japanese along with other civs. Maybe I could get a wonder somehow. And Germany is also scientific, so maybe they'll be nice and trade their free tech.

The Russians catapulted themselves into the Modern Age. Once I recognized they were already in the Modern Age, I had to step back and assess. The Germans were being eaten alive by the Russians. They had two cities left and probably wouldn't last long enough to get the free tech. The French were reduced to a one tile island. I decided to use the UU to finish off the French. With the Russians destroying the Germans shortly after, that left me with 4 rivals, all of whom had been at war with the Russians at some point. So even though the Russians built the UN, they did not attempt a diplomatic win. Instead they won by space race in 1900. My capitol had a culture value of 18603.

I can't remember how to submit a GOTM. It's been a long time since I've played one.

Unfortunately, I procrastinated too much doing school work and won't be able to finish this one by the deadline. I feel bad because Captain Jack did a great job with it. TBH, I can't see how anyone could like Scandinavia *without* the longboat additions.

I started off pretty slow, but was able to secure the island to the north, and even a foothold on the German island to the east of that. Germany was at war with Russia and soon got kicked off the continent they shared. I finished the job. Met all the other civs with a curragh, which I was pretty proud of. No more wars, just building workers and turning them into outposts so I couldn't be landed, which may have slowed me down some. Built Great Library, lost Great Lighthouse to the Japs. Once I got berserks/longboats, it was game on, and I became a Monarchy since I planned on constant fighting. Brief skirmishes with the Japanese and Spanish to kick them off islands I wanted to myself.

Then Mother Russia. Booted her off all her overseas territories, but decided Frankfurt and the rest of her continent were too much for me (musket, walls, hill), after my trebuchets didn't make an impact on the defenders. Signed a peace treaty and the next turn got the <LEAVE AUTOMATICALLY> warning, which when I clicked, teleported some of my troops (1 treb, 1 warrior, 1 elite berserk) to a one square tile on the other side of the continent. Disbanded treb and warrior but I couldn't abandon my loyal Viking and he lingered for a few hundred years surrounded by most of the Red Army marching around threateningly until I could sign an ROP and retrieve him.

Set my sights lower and invaded Britain instead, historically making landfall at Hastings. Did the trick when they had only York and an island city left and signed a peace treaty giving me the island, then immediately eliminated them from the game.

Next, France, and took one of their islands and brought them down to three cities.

The Zulu also only had about 5 cities left and were at war with the Japanese. Actually I was too, since they were paying me 12 gp a turn, and soon after they stopped paying me, I actually did something and took all the rest of their cities, except Zimbabwe and some island. Except because the Japs had cut the roads, I couldn't land my trebs next to Zimbabwe. Couldn't even get next to the city because it was surrounded by Samurai (they had an army of them actually). So I declared war on the Japanese, and killed their troops, then took Zimbabwe and hid inside while they sent more. Destroyed the army, got three MGLS in one turn and things are looking pretty good, but they have some marauding samurai (forgot they move 2) who are threatening my Zulu holdings. I am a little low on troops, because I have only 5 productive cities across the world on my island, and it's at least 4 turns away by longboat.

Maybe should have moved the palace, did build FP in York with one of the great leaders. Maybe should have switched to Republic (though Civ Assist said it wouldn't help). I feel I will win this, probably by domination once I get bombers. Russia ~1100, me ~900, Japan ~700, followed by Spain, France, Zulu, none of whom are even factors. I have ~60 cities and 35% population, and have tech equality (though Russia has a few optionals I lack).

Anway I'm still interested in playing and will budget my time better (or worse haha) next go-round. Thank you Captain Jack and Admins!

Top Bottom