COTM95 - First Spoiler

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

COTM 95 First Spoiler - Egypt, the Ancient Age!

Reading Requirements
  1. You must be able to research a Middle Age technology.

Posting Restrictions
  • Please be discreet about AI locations; however, feel free to discuss contacts and trades.
  • No discussions of the middle ages (or later)
  • No screenshots of any middle-age (or later) resources.
  • Absolutely NO discussion of any other currently active 'X'OTM!

First spoiler for COTM95 is out. It's Deity, so you have to move pretty quickly. Did you move before you founded your capital? How did contacts go? Pangaea, so they should come by pretty quickly - any problems? And what is your status at the end of the Ancient Age?

i did not move. i founded where i stood to take on Deity.

pangaea? fast contacts? that is what i would have thought, but it did not happen...

early tech speed goes fast, and i find myself buying Writing and research on credit so to go Philo on max. in 1625bc i see CoL, engage some scientists… trigger Philo... and… i cannot afford CoL!!! Not with every citizen turned into a taxman, and 100% cash. :(:(:(
So i take Lit, and really, i am the first to Philo. Only get CoL and 49g from Persia for Lit+Philo, but then again only Maths, TW and 28g for Lit+Philo+CoL from Babylon. Too bad i learnt to know so few civs early – on Deity and pangaea! Plus i mess up when putting the citizens back to work and get 2 disorders :argh:
Go min on Rep, with -4gpt @ 0% tax.
1500 build first coastal town for a curragh. 2nd pop factory up.

1450 meet Carthage, minor deals.

1325 two AI reach the MA :eek:

3 luxes connected, meet Greece and Sumeria

1000bc
14 towns
39 pop
12 workers
10 warriors
2 curraghs
2 grans, 1 rax
Know all civs but Hethites
Shows: 3 turns to Rep
27 gold

t_x

I am amazed that you got to Philo first as I found it impossible in my tests.

The game:
Open save. Initial thoughts...
What a poor area start for Deity level. Yes there were the flood plain tiles, but coupled with desert and marsh. The large jungle area meant very slow expansion. Expansion to the west was quickly cut off by the Babylonians, Carthage and Sumerians. The one bonus was the 4 lux resources I was eventually able to claim and hook up.

Research: BW,IW, The Wheel, Alpha, Math, Currency.
I knew the one key to a successful game would be to try and monopolize any Iron and sell it to the AI which will usually sell several techs for it. However... Babylon settles next to both sources of Iron even before learning IW. I could see them settling to their north as it was on the coast and had flood plains nearby. However the city he settled first (of the two Iron sites) was next to our capitol and at the edge of the jungle , no resources in sight at the time. (Perhaps Hammy consulted a Psychic?) It struck me as a poor choice, but I had been hoping he wouldn't take the site next to the Game. It was somewhat of a relief to see Horses in the capitol's borders but by the time I got to use them, Babylon had Pikemen.

I went to currency as fast as I could because usually this is the last one the AI researches, only to find they all had it, just a few turns before I was done with it.

Cities - settled in place, built Warrior, Warrior, Settler... rinse and repeat until the available land was filled. 1st city was adjacent to Babylons city due west, and claimed the Furs and some fp. I built Temples first in all my cities and was pleased to see this cities borders expand before Babylon's. 2nd city was to the SW on the coast but claiming fp and Wheat. 3rd city was placed 1N of the Game. 4th City was at the top of the marshy area but still claimed 2 fp. Fill in cities went along the east coast and one in the jungle to claim the Dyes.

Culture - here's what really burned me and almost made me throw in the towel. As I said previously, Hammy settled just to the NW of the Capitol next to the Iron and I settled a couple of turns later next to the Game. I built a Temple first and was happy to see my borders expand first, hoping that with it under pressure from this city and Thebes it would culture flip to me. Keep in mind that the only culture improvement available to either one of us at the time was a Temple. A short time after his city expands it 's borders, MY CITY culture flips to them !!!???
If it had been the city I built adjacent to his city near the furs I would have understood as it was a risk but this....

War - (~500BC) There is no option left other than to rush as many War Chariots as I can to make one last effort to obtain Iron and any chance of doing well in the game. My Chariots approach the Iron city to see Pikemen!.. they are whipped forward by a mad as hell general and succeed in taking the city. The units left then turn to my former city near the Game and on their approach see Musketmen defending the city!!
This time the only way Cleopatra can get them to attack is by begging them to obtain glory or die trying. We succeed, barely... and are able to bribe Carthage to help in the war which diverts enough of Babylons military that eventually we take peace after getting his other city near the Iron. Only in this case the Iron reverts to being inside Sumeria's borders. Later I get it when my borders pop.

So, around 0BC we have our area carved out, there isn't any more land to settle. We have two sources of Iron and Horses. Furs, Wines, Dyes, and Spices. The Sumerians built TGL in Ummer just to the NW of Babylon and taking it appears to be our only chance of coming anywhere close to victory. None of the AI will trade any techs and the cost is too high to attempt to steal any. Even though 2 of the AIs don't have Iron neither one will give me anything for it. Greece is the big bully and expanding at the cost of everyone but me. I don't understand how they have 5000+ gold at this point?

Stay tuned for the second half of this story of redemption or disaster....

Open
Cultural 100K Loss to Greece
Game date: 1560 AD
Firaxis score: 4422
Jason score: 1959
Time played: 69:21:13

I am amazed that you got to Philo first as I found it impossible in my tests.

i took full risk to get there, when i saw how the AS runs away in tech speed. i believe for the last couple of turns i was unable to generate a positive gpt any more, to buy any more credits. only this allowed me to get to Philo that early, and even at that time on Deity it is not a given that you are first.

however, my gains were limited due to the fact that i could not buy CoL for free Rep, plus i did not even get a whole lot for my two monopoly techs, as i knew so few AS and those i knew paid only little for it. the results surely did not feel much different from normal Deity research on any monopoly tech.

t_x

i just found the rest of my cotm95 notes, and now i cannot find the last spoiler thread for that game?!

so i just post it here, if anyone should still be interested...

975 self-research Rep, can trade into MA, only Mono and Feud known yet to some civs.

Revolt in 950

Trigger GA against Sumeria in 510bc. Only want to take some more southern towns from them, but actually send the Babies against them so to weaken my immediate neighbour.

110bc take Babylon

50ad Babs destroyed, war against Sumeria started

170ad until now mostly fake war against Sumeria, i let Rome waste its troops. Now i get MT, as the first civ, and upgrade 20 cavs in the first turn, 3 filling my army. I now realize that i maybe should have avoided to get the techs behind Theo, so that ToA would still function. I stop research and make +475 gpt. 4 towns build 5-turn cavs.

210ad connect 5th lux, can set slider to 100% tax, make +537 gpt.

230 take Sumer with Sun Tzu

250 take Ur with HG, SoZ, Sistine and Oracle

280 start war against Rome

300ad Sumeria gone

400ad reach 68% pop

460 74% pop and 70% land (does not look really as if i had optimized that... should have finished 2 turns earlier)

Score 13431, Jason 11041

E victories
IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII I
MGLs with 6th, 30th, 36th, 49th, 56th e victory

t_x

Top Bottom