1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cottages on grassland or floodplains....?.....or both?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Znabel15, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

It's better to specialize the city, not the terrain. If you want a cottage in your city, than you want every square in that city to be a cottage if at all possible. This way, the city can focus on building libraries and other buildings that help commerce, and forget everything else. Same for wonders. Much more efficient this way.

Start doing this and your play will improve so much, you'll jump ahead two difficulty levels.

2. Yzen Danek

Yzen Danek Warlord

(double post)

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I don't agree. If you don't build any farms, and you don't have any food resources, so your city is only growing at 2 food/turn, it takes forever for it to get to a decent size. You do better with some farms so that it grows faster. You can always switch those farms to cottages later (or just have farms and cottages and move workers around, depending on whether you want growth or commerce now).

4. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Agreed, but long term, you'll want all cottages.

5. Oggums

Oggums King

For a commerce city, in most situations, it's best to have a couple farms and some hills, along with your cottages. Work the farms if you need growth, and work the hills if you need to build something. If your city is at it's health/happy max, then you can just work all cottages.

If your city is size 20 with all upgrades, then 20 cottages is a good idea, but that won't happen until the game is almost done. Most of the time, you want to have the option to move citizens around to work whatever is the most appropriate.

On the other side, a city you designate to pump out military should just farm/mine from the start and never build a cottage.

6. fightcancer

fightcancer Warlord

I ran a few tests from scratch (new game) and I encourage others to do the same. Under no circumstances that I've tested do farms yield as many game points as towns. That's because towns generate more gold and therefore beakers towards the discovery of your next tech.

I reloaded several times and created farms instead of towns. While the farms allowed me to access mines for more hammers and subsequent world wonders, I always got more game points when using towns instead of farms.

Here's a screenshot of the starting city I was testing. The 3 farms along the river were the only 3 tiles I tested. I also developed the 2 mines to the west.

In this screenshot, the control, they were farms. In the experimental game, the farms were cottages and eventually villages. In both cases I chose the exact same techs to research and built the exact same buildings in the exact same order. Also, my starting warrior and all subsequent units did not explore the map looking for huts as I was trying to reduce randomness (which entering the huts is).

In the control game, with the farms, the production was much higher and I ended up building several warriors while waiting for Machinery to finish being researched.

7. azzkicar

azzkicar Chieftain

On a commerce city, what I do, near the beginning, is all grasslands (including grassland hills) cottages, plain hills mines or windmills if available, and floodplains farms. However, I make sure that my worker works in this specific order:

1. resource tiles
    2. grasslands
    3. floodplains
    4. repeat 2-3 till there's none left
    5. work on non grassland hills

That way at any point in time, I have the flexibility to micromanage my citizens to work between food and commerce. The ability to do this, particularly on epic and marathon games, really help.

8. LordTerror

LordTerror Chieftain

There is one case where this is not true: financial civs. A financial civ would get 3 total if you cottaged the river but only 2 total if you cottaged the grassland.

Also, there is a case where it doesn't apply: when you only use one of the two tiles.

Pros of cottaging the floodplain:
    -Until you use both the floodplains and the grassland, you will have a better overall balance (food and comerece, not just food). If you have alot of floodplains, it will take a long time of growing before you start using the grassland.

-Since the govenor AI will use the floodplains first (since it is a good idea to because it gives more food), the cottage will grow while you use it. If you put it on the grassland, it will not grow.

Pros of farming the floodplain:
    -Easier to irragate stuff later with civil service. (Usally there is a grassland or plains near the river aswell, though).

-Four food allows you to grow faster so that you can use both quicker.