Could use some help with the Gimp

Deth McBones

The Inconsistent Modder
Alright, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm having some problems that I cannot fix.
I was trying to merge rhodie's Monsoon unit with aaglo's lightning spell, so as to make a thunderstorm (which I wanted for an elemental unit.) Unfortunately, something messes up with the Gimp when I save over the .pcx that is generated by Flicster. I'm betting it's some kind of compression or something like that.

When I change the .pcx associated with the FXM file, it corrupts something. I attached a screenie of the stupid messed up FXM.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• badbadbad.bmp
    469.6 KB · Views: 68
I just guess that you have used SSBs Multi-unit feature to bring both graphics together ?!
If so ,you are using different frame counts. Very typical for this GFX mess-up.
Make sure that both storyboards are set to the same frame count.

Nope. I thought you could just copy and paste things in the GIMP and just make another .flc. I'm exporting two .flcs, both the same size, same number of frames. I'm just taking the pcxs generated, copying the lightning, and pasting it on the clouds, then saving. I get the same problem if I open up the .pcx, don't change anything, and save it. Is this not doable? If not, can I do it in SBB?

I have found out that the palette used in the storyboard itself (pcx) rules. Not the palette files Flicster saves as well (normal/alpha).
That means that you must have a proper set palette in the pcx.

When you use SSB it`s quite simple. Make sure both storyboards have the same size and framecount. Load both into the Multi-SSB ,then make sure to insert the right framecount. Now you must `only` adjust your GFX to layer them properly. When you are satisfied with the result generate the new storyboard. This storyboard must be copied into one of your original Storyboards. (Pick the one with more colors/better palette) Make it a flc.

Problem is that both units might have completly different palettes. And that means trouble. So I only merge units together which sharing their palette - or are at least similar.
But on the SSB thread there was a solution for that.

I'll just try my changes with SSB I guess, because I wasn't having any problems when I used that.

Are you using the Gimp Animation Program? That screenshot doesn't look like a GIMP playback.

I've been experimenting with the GAP, trying to edit the layers of the flc manually without changing the colormap (palette). I think it might be saving the flc in the wrong flc format. There are apparently different flc formats, which is why I can't even open some flcs with my Irfanview (like the original Lincoln) but have no trouble at all with most other flcs. One possible solution: export the modified flc to flicster then save it, but I haven't tried that yet. It's just beyond what I know how to do right now.

Negative. I'm a casual GIMP user, so no GAP for me. Tom just said he'll be making/converting? a Thunderstorm, which is exactly what I was going for. That will end this particular endeavor, but I thought for sure you could make new flics from old ones.

I'll try tinkering with some things later though. RL right now.

There are apparently different flc formats, ... One possible solution: export the modified flc to flicster then save it, but I haven't tried that yet. It's just beyond what I know how to do right now.
One reason for the utilities like flicster is that Civ uses a custom flic format. Probably why you had trouble with the Firaxis Lincoln.

There are apparently different flc formats, which is why I can't even open some flcs with my Irfanview (like the original Lincoln) but have no trouble at all with most other flcs.

I can solve this. :)
For real you are not viewing the flcs with IrfanView. :crazyeye: IrfanView display you the flcs with the help of a plugin. This plugin only works if you have QuickView from Apple installed. So you viewing the files thru QuickView ! ;) And your QT version installed is to new. So it can`t display`em.

Desperate advise : :rolleyes:
If you want to view the original unit flcs as well you will need to uninstall your current version of QuickTime and replace it with an older version. This QT version must of about the release date of the latest patch. I guess/think/fear. :blush:

BTW ;ever tried to load a gif from our units into IrfanView ? Press "ENTER" and then about ten times the "+" key. Then sit back and enjoy the fullscreen movie. :eek:

it could be a palette issue. GIMP uses a custom GIMP palette. I explained some of it in my palette tutorial in the tutorials section if you want to use that as a jumping off point.

Thanks for the help all. I'll try to figure it out later, probably this weekend.

it could be a palette issue. GIMP uses a custom GIMP palette. I explained some of it in my palette tutorial in the tutorials section if you want to use that as a jumping off point.
GIMP's palette is reversed from, for example, Photoshop. What's last in one is first in the other. But when you open it in the other program it looks normal. Can be confusing. I usually double check palettes in another program as a final step after using GIMP.

Top Bottom