Could you guys turn off the avatars?

Flak

vBülletin Förum
I know from experience with other boards that this cuts down loads off of the internet traffic. Just until the number of users comes down a bit. Thanks!

This would make sense if it works. Avatars are only aestetic, we could do without for a week or so.

That's assuming that traffic will decrease. If you think this is bad, just imagine how bad Christmas will be.

Ive turned mine off. CFC expects that every man will do his duty. hzar

What the? I am not giving up my avatar.

Avatars are unneccessary, specially when you take in consideration the bandwidth of this site's server. I think it's small.

We must turn them off because of the increased traffic in this site brought by the release of Civilization IV. The advertisers don't care about avatars, and they are the ones that pay the bills.

I wouldn't mind losing my avatar temporarily, but they are certainly helpful when you have more than one member with a similar name, like maybe King1, King2, King3. If you can't remember which "King" is which, the avatars make it clear.

I've set ine to the lowest possible compression. it's now about 1/3 the file size. If anyone want's to do something similar, stop by the avatr help thread and we'll be happy to help you :)

I don't think turning off avatars will help all that much; since for those frequently loaded, they will have been loaded from your temp Internet files, rather than fr the server...

Well, something needs to be done.

Are you triyng to tell me that there is no way that we can speed things up ?

If that is true, then this site was never meant to have more than 2000 people online at the same time.

Knight-Dragon said:
I don't think turning off avatars will help all that much; since for those frequently loaded, they will have been loaded from your temp Internet files, rather than fr the server...
I believe Poly do it to at least some effect. I imagine it would work not so much from eliminating the need to simply load the images, but because the forum software would no longer need to perform a query against the database to find out what each user's avatar is when displaying threads, assuming that's the way it works.

I think it is helping! I don't have time to finish a round of Minesweeper between page loads now!

Thunderfall said:
Ok, avatar is turned off for now.

Hope this helps... :)
Boooo!!!! Turn them back on, I cant live without my avatar!!! :cry:. You have just opened up a hornets nest now.

Yeah, looks like it is helping! :)

Sorry guys, this means avatarless for a while, for the common good! ;)

Thunderfall said:
Yeah, looks like it is helping! :)

Sorry guys, this means avatarless for a while, for the common good! ;)
When are the Avatars going to return? I miss them already, its like being in poly again when they turned off their avatars :cry:

Top Bottom