Could you take on a raptor with a suit of platemail and a sword

Archbob

Ancient CFC Guardian
Well, lets say the world suddenly got evil and twisted and decided to bring back the Roman's tradition of gladiators fighting animals. At the same time, scientists successfully cloned the raptor. Could you, with a good suit of platemail and a strong broadsword, take on a raptor?

How much would be pay to see a bout?

... hmm 7 to 9 foot dinosaur right?
I'd do it with a spear ... I'd rather fight one of those over a Grizzly ^^

No, raptors are much smaller then 7 to 9 feet.

Wiki said:
Velociraptor has a skull length of 249 mm (9.80 in), a total length of 2.7 m (8 ft 10 in), a hip height of 0.5 m (1 ft 8 in), and weighs 20 kg (45 lb).

There are larger ones also:
Wiki said:
Deinonychus:
Skull length: 410 mm (16 in)
Total length: 3 m (10 ft)
Hip height: 1.2 m (4 ft)
Weight: 80 kg (175 lb)

They are no where as big as dipicted as in Jurrasic Park.

Small raptors hunted in packs. You wouldn't do very well. As with any big carnivore, success depends on whether or not a wound will make them turn tail. If so, one on one with a sword you might have a chance, but if not, you better make your first strike a killer.

I wouldn't pay to watch or support blood sports of any type involving non humans and those involving two or more people are usually pretty dumb.

you probably mean a larger species such as utahraptor, or megarapto- a velociraptor, IIRC, it about as big as a grey hound, and by itself, wouldnt bu a huge challenge.

of course, plate mail is the wrong armor to use regardless- an ill thought choice, IMO- better suited would be chain, or scale.

I'd do it. I would love to be able to kick some dino @$$ and get eternal glory:D. My plan would consist of, "not dying";) (Quite revolutionary ain't it:p).

I know. Praise me for my brilliance!!!

If you imagine a large crazed pit bull with 100 teeth, two 2" razor blade claws designed to disembowl you and great leaping ability, you might get an idea what a Deinonychus might be like. Utahraptors are just worse.

Wouldn't I try jabbing my sword in its throut while it is charging at me? Also, I am pretty sure I'd have a heavily armored suit.

Birdjaguar said:
If you imagine a large crazed pit bull with 100 teeth, two 2" razor blade claws designed to disembowl you and great leaping ability, you might get an idea what a Deinonychus might be like. Utahraptors are just worse.

I honestlyl question how much more dangerous it would have been then a lion, tiger, or bear. the thing is small agile and fast- but its still small, and one good whack is all its going to take to kill it; somthing not hard to land on any animal that has to come in for the attack.

Xen said:
somthing not hard to land on any animal that has to come in for the attack.

I don't know about you, but I have very little experience wielding a sword while being weighted down by plate armor. I suspect I'd be a bit off balance and more than a little off my game.

How about I bring my own shotgun? I skeet shoot once a week and am really good and I could just blast that dino's head clear off (also I'd provide my own ammo:)):D!

Edit: Stupid spelling error

Xen said:
I honestlyl question how much more dangerous it would have been then a lion, tiger, or bear. the thing is small agile and fast- but its still small, and one good whack is all its going to take to kill it; somthing not hard to land on any animal that has to come in for the attack.
Yes a Deinonychus attack probably wouldn't be any worse than most other large carnivores. When was the last time you stood up to the attack of a lion, tiger, grizzly bear or large vicious dog? ;) I would guess that to the inexperienced eye of an armchair intellect, it would appear a simple problem to swing and kill a charging animal with a single blow. Real life rarely works out like we think unless one has lots of practice. With practice you might be right.

Yeah... but it would still be fun to watch and do:D!

Top Bottom