Council of Esus

Could esus units lose their 'religious' abilities (mask, steal, etc...) if the state religion is not CoE?

Nox Noctis should not be announced when it is built. Religious advisor should not show the holy city of Esus.

Come to think of it, it might have been a better idea if Esus was not a "religion" at all.

Nox Noctis can be built without having CoE as a state religion, so it doesn't give anything away about your religion.

The point of the excellent "masquerade" idea is not that you're hiding the fact that you've researched deception, but that you're hiding which religion you actually follow (mostly for diplomacy purposes).

When someone showing no state religion completes Nox Noctis it's pretty clear that they following Esus. When someone who has built Nox Noctis suddenly switches to no state religion it's pretty clear that they've just switched to Esus.

Yes, it is technically possible they in either of those cases they might in fact have no state religion, but you'd be crazy not to treat them as if they followed Esus. (Cancel open borders immediately, for example.)

I've built Nox Noctis numerous times for the mana and the defensive benefits, and I've never switched to CoE.

The hiding it does right now doesn't matter at all. You can check to see if someone is Esus by going into diplomacy with them. It shows Esus next to their civics on top.

THIS is obviously a problem.

Why would this make a difference?

Hidden Nationality units can move in rival territory, can't they ?

If you have Esus as state religion, you can declare war without getting your non-HN units kicked out of your open-border rivals territory.

That said, you can kill HN units when at peace to prevent an Esus follower from building up assault forces in your territory before war, but you can't kill non-HN, so it kinda does make a difference.

I'll be honest, I think Council of Esus should be more like the spy from Team Fortress 2. Be able to disguise as something else, be able to backstab teams friendly to you, and maybe even have a spell that disables Luchuirp units for a few turns.

Spoiler :
Spy sapp'in mah golem.

Top Bottom