council, scenario map help

whennrome

Chieftain
does tot have council, how do you get it?
and is there any online guide to making a scenario?
and how do you make maps :)

1. I'm told TOT does not have a Council, not that you'd want them. They are funny, though.

2. Visit the Forums for Scenario Creation here at CFC and over at Apolyton.Net. Between the two there is just about everything you could want. You'll probably have to look up some older threads, like 2000-2002.

3. With every Civ2 game comes CIV2MAP.EXE. If the installer did not create an icon in your Start/Programs menus, navigate to where your CIV2.EXE is located (usually /MPS/CIV2) and double click the application directly. Start with a blank ocean or have the random generator create a random map for you, then click a terrain type at the top and Shift-click to place it on the map. Don't forget to save before exiting.

ElephantU said:
3. With every Civ2 game comes CIV2MAP.EXE.
That's every game except Civ2: Test of Time ;) - but that's no longer a problem. Get Mercator's Test of Time Map Editor here.

For tips on ToT scenario design, try the Scenario League's Design Tips section and The Cradle of Civilization's Guides section. You'll find there's some duplication of articles across both sites.

thank you so much dude, but is it a zip file cause im havun trouble doin what ya hafta do

uhhh but when i look in the readme files named coucil0, its all like: @M1
0,98, Military: Build more units!
f5,938,1041, Foreign: No, build more embassies.
#, end
t3, 262,357, Trade: There are more important matters (like building marketplaces).
t5, 262,357, Trade: There are more important matters (like building caravans).
s3, 3353,3386, Science: I disagree.
s4, 3353,3386, Science: I disagree.
a3, 4070,4098, Attitude: I disagree.
end
and im like what the crap is this?
what im trying to say is what the crap is this?
and they have 2-3 moire notepads like council2 and stufff and it looks like those conversations

Yes, those are the text files that are supposed to work with the council video, but they're pretty useless for ToT. Most files in the main ToT folder are not used by ToT. ToT uses the files in the subdirectories. ToT is based on MGE, and while they removed all sorts of options (and added many more), they didn't bother removing any of the outdated files.

ok, one more question, uhh when reamoving the hidden option after hitting ctrl a some files pop upthat im unsure of what they are, and i hafta open with,... it. does anyone kno what that is and what to open it with?
the files are:mk.dll, civ2art.dll,pv.dll,tiles.dll, ss.dll, timerdll.dll, wonder.dll, and xdaemon.dll
uhhh, and how come i cant open scenarios or maps is there a patch i need or somfin?

If you're interested in strange files, why don't you have a look at your windows system directory? Well, seriously, there are many files (generally speaking, not just for ToT) that just aren't meant to be opened by some viewer. Though, in this case, that's not entirely true. All of those DLL's, except xdaemon.dll and timerdll.dll I think, contain image files. In any case, they're binary files that civ2 needs to work. Well, I'm not sure if ToT uses all of them. The mk.dll contains the diplomacy screen pictures and leader pictures, and the ss.dll contains the spaceship images. You can view (and edit) the contents of those DLL's with Resource Hacker:
http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

But since you just showed that you have no idea how it all works, I strongly recommend you don't try to mess with that. At least until you know a bit more about stuff like this.

What do you mean with not being able to open scenarios and maps? If you mean by (double-)clicking on them in Windows, that's not possible. You have to open them through the opening menus in Civ2.
If you mean you've tried downloading some and they didn't work. That's probably because they weren't made for Test of Time. Then again, civ2 maps work across all versions, so that can't be the problem. Anyway, The Cradle of Civilization is your best source for ToT scenarios: http://coc.apolyton.net.
If you mean something else, you'll have to be a bit more specific.

Oh, and make sure you've installed the v1.1 patch (regardless of anything else):
http://coc.apolyton.net/utilities/index.shtml

Top Bottom