1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Countering Apolycapyse figure with sword

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by druidravi, Aug 13, 2013.

1. druidravi

druidravi King

So most of the religious belief systems have an Apocalypse figures who will come to earth and put sinners/non-believers to sword. Give the present religious situation we can safely say more than 2/3 rd's of the human population would be non-believers to any given deity.

So let us suppose a random avatar/messenger of god/child of god/prophet of god/incarnation of god appears tomorrow with a huge sword and starts committing a genocide of most of earth's population,how do we non-believers counter it? .

Here are some scenarios
    1) The deity has a unenchanted sword and moves with normal speed. :
    Spoiler :

Since this figure has no ranged attacks air attacks could be effective. Unless of course he/she can force throw the sword in a Jedi manner. Then I guess we need to take advantage of his/her normal mobility and have the forces constantly at the move sniping him/her.
    We can even find who are the true believers and use them as meat shields,since he/she can't hurt them. Since all religious followers might not be "true believers " according to the religious. We might need to water-board all the religious adherents and find which of them are true believers and use them.

2) The diety has a enchanted sword and moves with normal speed :

Spoiler :
    It could be the deity has a magical sword with a single sword swipe can change weather phenomena causing floods earthquakes and tsunamis . We might need to determine what causes his/her sword to work. If it is by EM waves we might use a jammer to prevent it from working. We might need our true believers meat shields while we analyse the working of the sword from a distance.

3) The diety has an unenchanted sword and moves with very high speed:

Spoiler :
    If the diety moves with a huge speed(almost speed of light) appearing wherever he wants (appears like teleportation) . Prepare some type of armor made of material stronger than iron/steel which swords typically are made of. Or maybe stay in enclosures/bunkers made of that material .

4) The diety has an enchanted sword as well as moves with a high speed:

Spoiler :
    We are screwed. There's no way to react with instant teleportation like movements and armor piercing enchantments . Being in a different continent does not help either since some of then can walk on water ,or ask ocean itself to make a path for them to move.

There is one loophole we can exploit though. All these deities described in different holy books appear only on earth for the purging . So if we can move a substantial amount of people to a colony on mars they can escape the genocide.

Whatever form the deity figure appears though it's important thought to keep a updated list of true believers for each faith ready for an emergency . Updates could typically be done over a year or half-year depending on how much time it takes for the devil to corrupt a believer.

So what are your action plans and suggestions on fighting the apocalypse.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Iirc in the Apocalypse the apostle John claims that around 200.000 humanoid-looking creatures (don't recall if they are angels or not) will come riding on top of huge insect-like (locusts?) beings, and charge everyone to death.

Although still with nuclear weapons one could argue that sort of force could be defeated as well, i am sure that when John wrote this passage it was more than enough to cause dread to anyone believing it would happen :)

3. druidravi

druidravi King

Well if they are landborne insects and can't fly , we can just evacuate to a different continent. If those 200,000 angels starts at different continents , tanks should be effective. Swords can't defeat tanks,though spears can .

4. Kyriakos

I guess. Although if i saw an angel riding a huge insect charging at me, i would tend to not be sure if his sword could not cut through a tank afterall :D

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Maybe the five horsemen of apocalypse are keeping up with the times and are going to show up as the five f16men of apocalypse? Or the five transformers of the apocalypse?

Surely whatever deity decides to f us over will do his or her historical research to determine our level of technological advancement before sending down the troops. Or maybe he'll send down magical spearmen that can destroy tanks?

6. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

It fundamentally depend. An omnipotent deity could just wink us out of existence, so there's that. An omniscient deity could easily adapt to countering any advantage we might dream up.

But a powerful but not unlimited deity, for example the Olympian or Asgardian pantheons, or the forces of hell in Christian theology (Since Satan is neither omniscient nor omnipotent)....I think they'd be hard pressed to keep up with humanity's progress of the past hundred years or so.

(And even the F-16 pilots of the apocalypse would be dead meat against the human F-22 pilots of the Not-today-lypse)

I'm of the school of thought that, as a general rule of thumb, we humans might actually have a decent fighting chance in such a conflict any which way.

7. druidravi

druidravi King

Well if the Apocalypse follows the script written in religious books, then they have to use swords riding on horses whatever. But of course if they have bombers/fighters with nkukes equipped we are screwed.

Still I think escaping to another planet would work. According to the script , they have to appear on earth and not any other planet. Or we could still use the true believers as meat shields :satan:

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

You realize that it isn't just the horsemen that cause the deaths of 2/3 of the world's population, yes? There were be many other calamities that will strike the globe before their appearance. Heck, the earthquakes alone would probably do quite a number on the population.

9. Kyriakos

Earthquakes and the like are still not as cool as nearly a quarter of a million executioners mounted on huge locusts :)

10. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Quite a few assumptions going on in those scenarios, not the least of which is the deity's vulnerability to earthly weapons.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

We could also move Earth's entire population to the moon right before the rapture and nuke God's army of darkness with all of our nuclear weapons from above. A terraformed Mars will be our new home, where we'll lead lives full of sin, debauchery, and science.

12. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Being a bit presumptuous, aren't we? We just have one planet we occupy. Billions of galaxies, billions of stars per galaxy, usually. Whole eff-ton of planets out there. Surely an inter-galactic-cluster uber-empire screwing things up would be a better focus for the armies of God et al. ;)

13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Surely a deity could deal with the uber-heresy and the backwater heresy simultaneously?

14. Darkflight

Darkflight Prince

If one of those religions were true and the apocalypse figure appears and starts messing us up I would denounce the diety in question and happily take an eternity in hell or equivalent.

15. druidravi

druidravi King

Well so far all the incarnations/avatars/children/messengers/prophets of god according to religious books were vulnerable to damage on earth .

16. Kyriakos

And given that he is a god, i'm sure his version of the game includes automatic hunting down of rebels by armies :D

17. r16

r16 not deity

human F-22 pilots weren't cleared to fly above 20 000 feet or so , until ı believe this year . Much commentary on how they would have to raise themselves off the seat to reach some oxygen valve if they got into trouble ; one apparently died in Alaska exactly doing that .

18. Benefactor

Benefactor Beneficial

I read a story on the Internet based on this idea once. Basically an army from Hell invades in the middle of Iraq, it quickly gets destroyed by the human forces in the Middle East and the remnants are chased back through the portal they opened. This is followed by the Human invasion of Hell.

As a story it was pretty all over the place in terms of quality, but the premise was fun enough.

19. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I thought this thread was about the demise of Apolyton.

20. druidravi

druidravi King

Why did the armies of hell choose Iraq ? . Normal Hollywood thrillers have New York as the focus of conflict. Anime have Tokyo as focus . And if the armies of hell wanted to strike down 'holy places' they have either Mecca or Jerusalem in the Middle East.
    Or was there an demonic summoning?