1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Courthouses and City Capture Unhappiness effects

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by SerapisIV, Sep 19, 2010.

1. SerapisIV

SerapisIV Chieftain

Is anyone confused by the new courthouse effect?

Courthouses now:
    "Eliminates Unhappiness from an Occupied City"

I assume this means if you never go on the attack (pure peaceful player), you never need a courthouse.

As happiness is civ-wide, do you only need one courthouse per captured city? So in the extreme, if you only capture one city, you only need to build one courthouse ever.

Where do puppet cities cities fall into this game mechanic? (Only need 1 courthouse per X captured cities or don't need any?)

Does the unhappiness of captured cities decrease with time as the city assimilates with you civ, freeing up the courthouse to cover your unhappiness for a new war?

At very minimum it feels like no one needs to build a courthouse until you are involved in an aggressive war.

Anyone found any preview / designer comments that explain courthouses better?

2. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

You can only build a courthouse in an annexed city and it removes the specific "annexed unhappy" penalty from that city only.

3. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

Yep spot on. Annexed cities suffer from significant unhappiness until a courthouse it built. Normal cities do not ever have to worry about needing a courthouse, nor do puppets. Puppets just do their thing, and will never build a courthouse.

Unhappiness in annexed cities never drops on its own, it's always there. Also, courthouses cannot be rushed by great engineers or with gold. You have to allow the turns to process.

4. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

No, you can build it in any city, but it would be kind of pointless to build it in a city you settled because it would cost you 5 gold in maintenance for nothing. So you should only ever build them in annexed cities.

Actually there is a different alternative to building courthouses while maintaining your control (unlike in Puppet States) which is to leave all your captured cities as annexed, and then get the social policy which decreases unhappiness from population in annexed cities by 50%, this brings the happiness down to normal city levels (or near enough) without building a -5 gold maintenance building.

Which will save you a lot of gold if you plan on annexing lots of cities.
    I don't think it will decrease the +2 unhappiness the city itself generates (normal cities give +2 unhappiness for the city and +1 unhappiness per population, the annexed city has double these figures I think), but thats not too much of a cost for +5 gold per turn when you don't build the courthouse. But then its up to you, 5 gold per turn or 2 happiness, so the social policy is worth taking.

5. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

It was not possible to even try to build a courthouse in a normal city in the media build. I'm basing my comments off actual game play, not speculation. :)

6. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Either scenario is likely but from a gameplay and user-friendliness perspective I'd hope they would require the city have an "Annexed" flag in order to build the Courthouse so that, particularly newbies, do not accidently build a 5-maintenance building where it will not do any good.

Until I see the game in action I won't even try to infer reality from what the manual/guide do or do-not say. A developer quote maybe but otherwise reality will speak for itself in a couple of days.

7. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

You only build Courthouses in
    Annexed cities
    when you Don't Have Police State.

(If you have Police State, Courthouses are a waste)

And in game shots confirm that 'annexed' cities are indicated.

8. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

All courthouses do is remove the extra unhappiness penalty that annexed cities recieve. Puppet and Normal cities have normal unhappiness. (And no the extra unhappiness doesn't decrease over time in annexed cities, you need to build the courthouse to get rid of it.)

It is impossible to build a courthouse unless it is an annexed city, just like you can't build a watermill unless your next to a river, its not available unles the conditions are met.

@police state,

Police states decreases the total unhappiness of annexed cities not just the extra unhappiness, so if you build a courthouse and have police state, annexed cities experience half the unhappiness of a normal or puppet city.

9. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Even in Police State courthouses are useful; what Police State allows is having twice as many annexed cities in play - building courthouses - compared to normal thus making the assimilation of conquered territory go much more quickly :assimilate: