1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Covers Better than The Originals.

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by aimeeandbeatles, Feb 23, 2011.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Have you ever heard a cover of the song you thought was better than the original? If so, post both of them here.

I actually don't have any to post (though Petty and band can do some pretty amazing versions of songs), but I thought this be an interesting topic for some of you. I thought of it while working on the TP&HB cover list.

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Great thread idea, IMO.

"All Along the Watchtower" springs to mind first - I think nearly every cover I've heard has been better than Dylan's original. Jimi Hendrix's version was great, and even Dave Matthews Band's.

...Though I've probably just destroyed my nascent A&E cred by even mentioning DMB. :lol:

I'll post some vids and other examples later.

3. Japanrocks12

Japanrocks12 tired of being a man

All Along the Watchtower is a common one, Hound Dog (more like an outright theft), and Hurt (I disagree) are three commonly cited examples

4. aimeeandbeatles

Yeah.

By the way, here's the working list of TP&HB covers. Here's a few things to know ahead of time before reading it, so don't chew me out:
    • This list is incomplete.
    • I haven't added any original artists to it yet.
    • There may be a few errors (one or two originals may have slipped in, or maybe there's a wrong title somewhere). I actually worked most of it up at three in the morning. If you see any errors, please inform me in a non-snarky way.
    • Some of the covers on the list surprised even me.

Spoiler :
    Ain't No Sunshine
    Any Way You Want It
    Around and Around
    Baby Let's Play House
    Baby Please Don't Go
    Ballad of Easy Rider, The
    Big Boss Man
    Believe What You Say
    Black Leather Woman
    Blue Moon of Kentucky
    Bye, Bye, Bye
    Bye Bye Johnny
    Call Me The Breeze
    Carol
    Change the Locks
    County Farm
    Cracking Up
    Crazy Mama
    Cry To Me
    Diamond Head
    Green Onions
    Date I Had With That Ugly Old Homecoming Queen, The
    Diddy Wah Diddy
    Done Somebody Good
    Don't Bring Me Down
    Down Home Girl
    Down The Road Apiece
    End Of The Line
    For What It's Worth
    Friend Of The Devil
    Girls Were Made To Love
    G-L-O-R-I-A
    God's Gift To Man
    Goldfinger
    Guitar Boogie Shuffle
    Handle With Care
    Happy Birthday
    High Heel Sneakers
    Hip Hug Her
    I Fought The Law
    I Got A Woman
    I Just Want To Make Love To You
    Image Of Me, The
    I'm A Man
    I'm A King Bee
    I'm Cryin'
    I'm In Love
    I'm Movin' On
    I'm Tired, Joey Boy
    It's All Over Now
    I Want You Back Again
    Jaguar and the Thunderbird
    Johnny B. Goode
    Just A Little Love
    Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    Lay Down That Old Guitar
    Letter, The
    Little Bit Of Soul
    Little Girl
    Little Maggie
    Little Red Rooster
    Lonely Weekends
    Louie Louie
    Lucille
    Mystic Eyes
    Needles And Pins
    Not Fade Away
    Oh Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin')
    Oh Well
    On The Road Again
    Other Woman Blues
    Peggy Sue
    Poor Little Rich Girl
    Psychotic Reaction
    Rip It Up
    Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms
    Route 66
    Satisfaction
    Shakin' All Over
    Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
    Shout
    Slaughter on 10th Avenue
    Somethin' Else
    Something In The Air
    So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star
    Stick To You Baby
    Stories We Could Tell
    Take Out Some Insurance
    Telstar
    Time Is On My Side
    Thirteen Days
    Treat Me Nice
    Twist and Shout
    Two Men Talking
    Waitin' In School
    Well Alright
    Where I Come From
    Wild Thing
    Wooden Heart
    You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
    You Are My Sunshine
    You Can't Judge A Book By Looking At Its Cover
    You Really Got Me

I've got versions of most of the covers on this (there was a handful I got off a setlist) so I can give opinions of the Heartbreakers version of them. Just ask. ;)

5. SuperJay

Aimee, c'mon. You started a thread to discuss cover songs that are better than the originals. If you feel some TP&HB covers are better than the originals, by all means, share them here for discussion. Listing every single cover the band has ever played is not conducive to discussion with the rest of us - what can we possibly say in response to that? Pick a few of your favorite examples, post links to vids so we can listen, and people can check them out and post their thoughts. But please, please, please don't get another music thread locked by trying to steer it into Pettyland again. :)

Here's the Jimi Hendrix of "Watchtower."

Link to video.

Unfortunately I can't find a YouTube vid with the original Dylan version. :(

6. aimeeandbeatles

Well first I've got to listen to all the covers and originals. That would take at least several hours. Haha.

I'm not sure if its still on YouTube (Im sorta busy atm, so if someone else wants to bring it up go ahead). But during the 1986 Dylan/Petty Australian tour they filmed one of the concerts which was released as Hard to Handle. And during that there's a version of "Like a Rolling Stone" that I actually like better than the original (and Benmont's having a blast which is always fun to see). But I'm not sure this counts.

7. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Any Grateful Dead cover ever (probably about 60% of their repetoire of some 300 songs are covers).

8. aimeeandbeatles

Any? Thats a pretty high standard.

9. SuperJay

Well, as Aimee is to TP&HB, so Owen is to the Dead. ;)

Some of the Dead's covers are so deeply embedded in their repetoire that I don't even think of them as covers. "Viola Lee Blues" comes to mind as an example; I've never heard the original blues tune, though.

I do have to contest Owen's claim, though, in at least one instance:

Link to video.

Nobody plays Miles better than Miles. Still, it's cool that the Dead covered the tune.

10. aimeeandbeatles

Well, for what its worth, TP&HB once did a cover of the Dead. Its on the Live Anthology.

Interesting thing about TP&HB: They do a lot of covers in shows, but precious few in the studio. Not counting the Playback box set or Pack Up the Plantation, I could probably count them both on a hand.

11. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

12. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

13. SuperJay

^ I gotta agree about that AAF tune, I like it better than Michael Jackson's original.

Aimee, which Dead tune did TP&HB cover? I'd be interested in hearing the Petty version versus the original Grateful Dead song.

In general, you'll find that most rock-oriented bands do more covers in concerts than they record on albums. While musicians do owe royalties to the original copyright holder for concert performances, I think the royalty fees are higher if you're recording someone else's work for commercial distribution.

14. aimeeandbeatles

"Friend of the Devil." 1997 at the Fillmore. This is mentioned in a Rolling Stone article:

15. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Yeah, I regretted the sweeping statement almost as soon as I heard it. The better qualifier is that the Dead covers are great in a different ways. The orignals of, say, Tangled Up in Blue, or Road Runner, or Not Fade Away are fantastic, but so are the Dead/Jerry Garcia covers. But yeah, Dead covers are generally great. :)

And @ whoever said I'm like the aimee of the Grateful Dead. I am don't exclusively like the Dead to the detriment of everything else. I'm more the aimee of late 60s-early 70s rock in that I know a ridiculous amount about bands from that era to the detriment of modern music. But unlike aimee, I am always listening to new bands and stuff. So yeah...

16. SuperJay

I probably like the Dead's versions of Tangled Up In Blue and Not Fade Away more than I like the originals, but yeah. The Grateful Dead were a musician's band. They had such deep roots in so much American music - esp. blues and folk - it's no wonder they had such a huge repertoire of what we call "covers."

NO WAI. ;) Just playin bro!

Oh god, here we go. Found that Dead cover that Aimee mentioned... Battle Royale time:

Link to video.

17. aimeeandbeatles

It sounds even better in FLAC... :) I like the organ in the Petty version.

18. SuperJay

I just finished it. I gotta say, musically it wasn't half bad considering they learned it that very day, but good lord Tom... if you can't sing right, just let someone else do it. :twitch:

19. aimeeandbeatles

What do you mean? Petty's somewhat known for his garbled vocals. Its said that (I think) Linda Ronstadt once had to call him because she couldnt figure out the words to "The Waiting."

EDIT: Although from listening to some of the Fillmore shows, they seem pretty garbled and the vocals are bad compared to some other ones.

20. SuperJay

It's not so much that they're garbled as that he's just talking his way through the lyrics. It's a style, I guess - Dylan obviously does the same, more incomprehensibly - but it's a Dead tune so I'm just being demanding. :) Jerry himself wasn't an especially adept singer in the technical sense, but my lord did he ever sing with feeling and soul.