Covers Better than The Originals.

The thing about covers is that you are going to like the cover more if it's from a band you like more than the original artist. At least that's how it is in my case. There are a few exceptions, however. For example even though I like NIN better than Johnny Cash, Cash's version of hurt is better than NIN's.

I like most Metallica covers over the original artist's version mainly because Metallica is my favorite band. There are some exceptions, however. Sabbra Cadabra I like Black Sabbath's version a little more than Metallica's version.

So going from that album, I will give you an example. A song called loverman. Metallica's version is far superior. Although it's worth noting Metallica is a different genre than the original. The original does have it's charms. In nearly every case I have a cover song, I also have the original on my itunes as well, it's fun to listen to both versions.

Link to video.

Link to video.

sometimes I find when covers are done in different genres it is cool. I put this one in mostly for laughs. Surfin' bird. So I leave it to you all to opine whose singing is worse on this song. :lol:

Link to video.

Link to video.

This next one is much tougher, both versions are awesome to the 9th degree. The original just didn't have the sound production that Metallica had. But it has raw power. Both amazing songs, but I still give the edge to Metallica.

Link to video.

Link to video.

There's about 30 covers of Satisfied Mind originally written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes in the 1950's. It's been covered by Ella Fitzgerald, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, Joan Baez, Willie Nelson, and others. I haven't heard every version but I'm partial to the Jeff Buckley version

Link to video.

I haven't included one of my favorite covers of all time, if not my absolute favorite. The thing is the original is amazingly badass too. The genres are completely different however. Tori's version is actually darker than Slayer's. That gets a :goodjob: from me.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Might get me lynched by Bowie fans but I think this far surpasses the original. Maybe not surpasses actually, as stylistically they're very different, but I still think the cover is better.

Link to video.

They say it's a parody. It's a cover, and a ruddy good one. Just watch it.

Link to video.

Again, as with The Man Who Sold The World, it's so different from the original, and I think it's just personal preference.

Obviously, Bob Marley was a huge influence on their music. Sublime covering Bob Marley & the Wailers and really crushing it.

Link to video.

Jack Johnson does great work covering Sublime.

Link to video.

The Clash's cover of 'I Fought the Law' is superior to the Bobby Fuller Four's version, IMO, though both covers are better than The Crickets' original.

Link to video.

All you need to know is that Bob Dylan started playing this song in the Hendrix manner
after he heard it.

Ok so I I"m not going to far as say I actually like Ra Ra Riot's cover of "Suspended in Gaffa" BETTER than the original, but it introduced me to the song as I had never heard it before.

And I am very grateful for that. It is such as great Irish tune.

Top Bottom