1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Covers Better than The Originals.

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by aimeeandbeatles, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I've recently discovered this one:

Link to video.

Gives a nice new angle to Manowar's original, and currently I actually like it more.

2. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I like this cover. "Pony" by Gunuwine, covered by the local band Far.

Link to video.

3. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Maybe not better, but certainly a good cover of the original:

Link to video.

No, really.

Also, I don't know if it technically counts as a cover, but I love the Philharmonic Orchestra playing Oasis' Supersonic

Link to video.

4. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

I love Kelis and Richard X's verson of SOS band's "The Finest". Although it samples from another song too.

Link to video.

And The Fugees version of "Killing Me Softly With His Song".

Link to video.

5. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I hear this song at work, and after hearing it so many times, I conclude that it is better than the original. Very few originals I think are better than the originals. When they are, it's usually because it's more "rockin'" (like Van Halen's covers of Beautiful girls and You really got me). That may apply here, because I think Lenny Kravitz version is more rockin'.

Link to video.

The original is still a damn good song. It just doesn't have that funky kick that Kravitz version has.

Link to video.

7. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Madonna - Open Your Heart

Cover: Ofra Haza (Remix by Die Krupps)

Flawless voice by Haza. RIP.

8. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

While my guitar gently weeps.

I like the santana's version more than the beatles one.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson is better than the original.

10. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Wow, it's considerably worse! The original oozes with darkness and irony and Manson literally sucks this from it and the end result is an unfunny, unintended parody.

11. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Link to video.

Sorry Beatles, there's no way you can top Wilson Pickett featuring Duane Allman on guitar.

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Even though it has been mentioned it wasn't done in video. it is far better than Leonard Cohen's version.

Link to video.

Can we include Weird Al in this discussion? i know he does parodies, but so often they are more memorable that the original

Link to video.

Better than Bob Dylan. Although Axl does make too many vocal changes.

13. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

I love the allman brothers' version of "Heart of Stone".

Link to video.

All the guitar-shrieking and Gregg's vocal make the womanizer in "Heart of Stone" a more tragic figure than in the Rolling Stones' original.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The Nirvana version of The Man Who Sold the World is better than Bowie's.

15. madviking

madviking north american scum

I dunno I felt like it was the weakest cover on Unplugged: Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam; Plateau; Oh, Me; Lake of Fire; and Where Did You Sleep Last Night are all better imo. It may be due to the fact that I like the Bowie version more.

16. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

No, I disagree, no consensus, here.

17. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Don't get me wrong, I love Nirvana. I rode my bike for two hours to get Nevermind. I saw them live in 40 degree heat in '91 at The Hordern Pavillion when they weren't even the headline act.

But if any band should have remained "plugged", it's them.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I do not feel like Jesus Don't Want me for a Sunbeam was good. At all. The rest you listed though were really good. I also loved the Bowie cover of Man Who Sold the World and I like the original version as well. But I guess I'm the only one who liked the cover better.
    No, Greenday was even worse unplugged (though I strongly dislike them to begin with) IMO.

Yeah, Nirvana isn't really suited for it, but I thought they did a decent job and their song selection was OK. There were some really bright spots in that performance though there were enough turds (Come As You Are; Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam) to drag down the whole experience. If I feel compelled to fast forward through any parts of a performance then it's not a complete success IMO. Oh and I also felt like they let me down on Dumb and All Apologies which is a shame given how well they should have gone acoustically. All Apologies in particular was atrocious - his guitar was off-key through the performance and every time I hear it it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I'm jealous of you, I never got to see them live. :\

19. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

What made it so great is that they were here for The Big Day Out, Sydney's biggest festival. They had been signed to play before Nevermind went ballistic and thus only had a day time slot, and an indoor one at that-not the main stage.

By the time TBDO rolled around Nevermind was #1 but they honored the booking so you had this huge band playing a daytime slot in a relatively small theatre, and The Hordern is great as it has a huge dance floor section at the front, not seats.

I'd say the only I've felt the same kind of anticipation from an audience is when Metallica first came to Australia in 1989, maybe 1990 from memory. That was at The Hordern too. I was 15 years old, in the dance floor section and I've never seen a band go off like that before. They were genuinely intimidating. The crowd was only hardcore metal dudes (this was pre Black album) most of whom had been drinking outside the show for a while and we all returned home with our asses well and truly kicked after over two hours of awesomeness.

Saw The Ramones there as well now that I think about it.

20. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

This version of "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Walk Off The Earth kicks the crap out of the Gotye version.

Link to video.

And, for kicks, here's the Key of Awesome Parody:

Link to video.