Covers Better than The Originals.

I disagree. Doesn't have the emotiveness that makes Gotye's version so goddamned timeless. Gotye's voice is also a lot better. I love the furtive introduction of the original. He's timid, but grows more forceful as his frustration becomes clear. The instrumentation of the original is better too. The 5 people 1 guitar schtick is admittedly cool but it feels too sparse. It's not interesting like Gotye's composition is which is brilliantly mixed and layered. I love how the guitar layers on top of the bass layers on top of the glockenspiel layers on top of the maracas layers on top of the various voice cuts to create a brilliant full sound with hints of sparseness. This is leaving aside of course the pure perfection that is Kimbra's guest verse. Kibra is vicious, exasperated, lashes out at Gotye's whining with dagger sharpness. You can really feel her emotion, the frustration with having to put up with Gotye's crap for all this time and at the end of the day he's still the douche doing the whining. This is the demarcation of true vocal musicianship. True meaning and emotion conveyed in the tone. The girl is good in this but fails in comparison.

Also the music video to that song is amazing.

I mean sure it's cool, but more in the way that acapella is kind of cool sometimes, or this is cool

Link to video.

It's enlightening in displaying all the elements of a song's ensemble composition laid bare in a minimalist fashion, but often the case of acapella and certainly in this version, in its effort to capture the distinct notes and elements that contribute to the song's beauty, it misses its heart and meaning.

In short: it's a cool gimmick but it doesn't translate to an overall superior performance.

Duckie of awesome was cool in 2009, I guess.

You make a very good case for Gotye's version, so I'll amend it: the Key of Awesome parody kicks the crap oit of WOTE's cover.

However, does Gotye/ Walter have anything else worth listening to?

Singing the lyrics in Arabic with Middle-Eastern instrumentals completes it:

Link to video.

Top Bottom