1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samson

Samson Deity

I would not start panicking. If you were thinking about stocking up on masks / canned food / ammo perhaps now could be the time though.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That sucks. Small (population wise) states in the US will pay 100% of the tuition of would-be doctors to study at out of state universities if they agree to practice in their state for a set number of years. I have a great uncle that switched careers from forest ranger to doctor by doing this and he had to practice in Wyoming for a while after graduation.

3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

If you want an ammo/food stock now is always the time.

IglooDude and Old Hippy like this.
  4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Could be worse than what the media is reporting. China is pulling a Chernobyl.

Deny deny deny no problem here.

5. red_elk

red_elk Deity

6. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I'm not worried about this virus. Too many times has the media cried wolf on these new viruses. How many times have we heard that this virus or that virus is going to be the "big one" and then it fizzles out after killing maybe a few hundred people worldwide at the most?

Of course the problem is that when the "big one" does happen, no one will believe the media when they report it and will be unprepared for it. Just another way sensationalist, for-profit media is harmful to society as a whole.

cardgame and shadowplay like this.
  7. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

How is the Coronavirus going to affect stocks of Corona Extra?

Hygro likes this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Sales will go up!

Hygro likes this.
  9. amadeus

amadeus Arm is normal. I am not.

The problem for me is that we’re relying on the forthrightness of the PRC.

Remember after Chernobyl, the Soviet government initially was like “there was a little problem at one of our reactors, but we’re all good. Everything is in such good shape that you shouldn’t point your spy satellites at it, or try to use any radiation detection equipment because you would really just be embarrassing yourselves after seeing how good just everything is. Yep, no major problems here!”

10. red_elk

red_elk Deity

The Chinese government admits the situation is not great, but it's not terrible too.

11. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

My friends in China are nervous and do not trust what they are being told. In their minds the Spring Festival is doomed.

13. Arwon

Arwon

Treat it like a bad flu season where you can't get a shot, I'd imagine.

First case identified in Melbourne today, pretty inevitably. Didn't have symptoms on the flight home from Guangzhou.

14. Arwon

Arwon

There's also the Y2K issue, where every time a potential crisis is successfully largely averted, people end up thinking it was never a problem in the first place. You see that with things like natural disaster evacuations as well. The mere success of countermeasures breeds complacency and even conspiracy theories.

15. Commodore

Commodore Deity

My favorite part is the very beginning where he shows Chinese people (probably due to their insane government's propaganda) claiming this is some type of biowarfare attack carried out by the US.

16. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Thanks OBAMA !
    I would attribute this mostly to incompetence rather then malice, the government is corrupt and everyone knows it.

The_J likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Deity

The grand irony would be if this virus was actually being developed by the Chinese to be used against the US and a terrible lab accident released it among their own people instead.

It seems ridiculous, but I actually wouldn't put that past the CCP at this point. They have become almost cartoonishly evil.

18. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

I doubt the Chinese even have that capability.
    You have to remember many parts of China are still third world countries, with third world levels of government corruption, third world level of education.
    Arkem razor: Almost certain that it was unsafe consumption of sick animal that is the cause.

Also for decades the old Chinese communist propganda against the West, the brain washing of the older generations is very real.

19. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

except perhaps the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory (level 4), is one of a few in china that has the capabilty to work on the Virus concerned
    it might also have something to do with the ongoing disputes over the ownership of the DNA patent of the Corona virus that the Wuhan institute was involved in... just saying

20. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Oh snaaaaaap. I was just playing around with that conspiracy theory and now we find out there is a lab in the area where the virus originated that is equipped to work on such viruses.

Now I'm going with the rogue Chinese bioweapon theory until someone proves otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.