1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Trump should have some surgery on his gut

Birdjaguar and JPetroski like this.
  2. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

doesn't Italy use something similar on smog heavy days in cities (based on licence plates instead of surname?)

3. Samson

Samson Deity

So it is a big advantage if you and your partner do not share a surname.

El_Machinae likes this.
  4. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

And a great dealmaker who'll negotiate a chunk of RNA down from 2.2 million to under 200.000.

hobbsyoyo and El_Machinae like this.
  5. Samson

Samson Deity

The Lancet, generally a pretty dry and conservative medical journal, is getting a bit ranty:

Joseph Wu and his colleagues wrote in The Lancet on Jan 31, 2020: “On the present trajectory, 2019-nCoV could be about to become a global epidemic...for health protection within China and internationally... preparedness plans should be readied for deployment at short notice, including securing supply chains of pharmaceuticals, personal protective equipment, hospital supplies, and the necessary human resources to deal with the consequences of a global outbreak of this magnitude."
    February should have been used to expand coronavirus testing capacity, ensure the distribution of WHO-approved PPE, and establish training programmes and guidelines to protect NHS staff. They didn’t take any of those actions. The result has been chaos and panic across the NHS. Patients will die unnecessarily. NHS staff will die unnecessarily. It is, indeed, as one health worker wrote last week, “a national scandal”. The gravity of that scandal has yet to be understood.​

Synsensa, hobbsyoyo, haroon and 3 others like this.
  6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

So far drug cartels take Covid-19 more seriously than Bolsonaro does

Birdjaguar, hobbsyoyo, The_J and 5 others like this.
  7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

And the government and top NHS staff have known we were not prepared for a pandemic since 2016 when they conducted Cygnus, an operation to test readiness in the event of a flu pandemic

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ncovered-pandemic-warnings-buried-government/

El_Machinae and Samson like this.
  8. Colon

Colon King

Well, at least Bolsonaro or Trump don't respond to the crisis the way Modi did, by setting a vast migration in motion.

tamyrlin likes this.
  9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I guess that has also if not most of all to do with the rate of urbanisation and the unemployment disruption
    Brazil urbanisation rate is high already close to 90%, the US at somewhere 80-85%
    and India at 30-40% is still in the transformation process of rural to urban... meaning that many males work already in cities but their families still in rural villages... an unemployment peak in the cities drives these people back to their farmer villages

hobbsyoyo, tamyrlin and haroon like this.
  10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Saw a sobering article today on our disability to produce enough ventilators in time.
    This should be a "lessons learned" for the next pandemia. We need a much bigger stock of test kits and also to some degree ventilators gathering dust in peace time.

The CEO of Dräger, the German company who invented the "pulmotor" (ventilator) in 1907, and one of the biggest manufacturers today, stated that the demand was 10 times higher than could be produced.

He also stated that using car manufacturers would not be able to fill that gap based on meeting between Dräger and the German car manufacturer Daimler (Mercedes)

That's not a reason to stop. Every ventilator is one. And all the ventilators produced even at the end of this year, and not long being used, will help to get that big dormant stock for our next pandemia.

hobbsyoyo, amadeus and The_J like this.
  11. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

It has been adopted at times in Rome and Milan. It's a city hall decision.

Shopping twice a week is already an improvement. The mayor said he kept seeing people going to buy stuff every day.

Grisu and Samson like this.
  12. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Just watched a live broadcast of Tokyo Gov. Koike.

She’s asking Tokyoites to stay indoors at night until the 12th to avoid further “cluster” infections that the Japanese government has been focused on. Furthermore, people with light symptoms may be released and sent home to recover; as of now it’s my understanding that Japan’s infectious diseases law mandates hospital stays for people confirmed with infectious diseases. The common cold and flu would not typically fall under that to my knowledge.

Again, my knowledge of the situation (and language) is not 100% there so I can’t guarantee complete accuracy.

The national government has said they are “close” to a state of emergency. Here in Osaka, Gov. Yoshimura has said basically that if we are close, then the time to do it is now. That was according to the governor’s twitter feed earlier.

In general, supermarket shelves I’ve seen remain mostly full or adequately supplied but not full to the brims like always. In addition to masks, one chain drug store I passed by posted on their window that they were also sold out of hand sanitizer for the day. Another small drug store that I passed by chance was also sold out though they were better stocked with soaps and other products generally.

13. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Monstrously, but not critically.
    On the plus side we have that I'm a computer scientist at the university and can work from home (although I'm really inefficient). Neither my employment, my overall career or my employer are threatened by this, so I'm good on that side.
    My parents should also be okay. My dad is retired, so no danger. My mom is still working (canteen of the German railway company), so she's in quite some danger of catching it, and also reaching the risk group, but I think she'll be fine.
    My brother-in-law anyways has been temporary unemployed (employment scheduled again for summer), and my sister is employed at a junk yard, which has temporarily closed down, but will for sure start up again. They are now working on renovating their house.
    Most of my friends are researchers at universities, so their employment should be fine too.

Many other things are horse feces.
    In February I moved for a new job from the Netherlands to France.
    In February I didn't manage to find a nice apartment. So I'm spending the pandemic in a small and temporary AirBnb, while still somehow trying to find an apartment (impossible). Not much storage space here, so my stocks are basically non-existent. There is a supermarket down the building, so not a problem, I guess.
    I don't know how the medical system here works, I don't have a GP yet, and I don't speak the language. If I get sick, then I don't have any friends here on whom I could rely on, and if I get seriously sick, I'd be in big trouble. I barely know my colleagues from work. Social life has been put on hold before it even started here.
    I'm also a person who barely ever stays at home. I watched in the last 5 days more movies/series than I did in the previous 5 years (except sick times).
    Most of my friends are in a country where I neither work nor am a resident there. So I hope they will stay fine, because I will not able to support them.
    One of them is a photographer and has his house move scheduled for easter. He's not having an easy time.
    My ex gf is concerned about her dad. He's having multiple underlying conditions, he's Turkish, and Turkey is seeing a massive surge in cases.
    So... this is far away from perfect.

You'll not die, so it's not that bad :).

There was a bigger survey about work satisfaction in the university hospital where I did previously my research.
    I know that at an uni hospital, you basically only have critical cases. But Dutch people are rather calm in general.
    Still more than 50% of the staff has reported to have at least been in threatening situations.
    (I don't remember the details anymore, but I think I do remember that more than 50% reported having being attacked, but I am unsure)
    I was seriously shocked.

14. Colon

Colon King

There seem to be plenty of families in the exodus. It's not so much unemployment as starvation, as Modi could and should perfectly well have foreseen. Mind that Modi he form in bungling a move like this.

Hrothbern and tamyrlin like this.
  15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I still guess that those families return to their extended families in the villages. Urbanisation is a process and farming villages have less jobs for cash and more food + informal economy.
    De-urbanisation is quite a normal process if you look at historical figures. Cologne from pre-Roman until now is a nice example with several ups and downs. The Dutch Republic as well.
    I still guess this is a temporary de-urbanisation from disrupted economy by Corona and less jobs for cash in the cities. And yes... in India, in a city, no job is no food.
    Massive food banks in the cities would help stopping that.
    And yes... Modi could have foreseen that and adressed it.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Not sure, but sounds about right, all off the land travel and half of the air.

Or more technically, "anchoring".

If you can't leave your house for anything other than groceries, it's a pretty big advantage to have a partner.

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

LOL...I thought you worked from home? How does a car salesman do that? Or does your "technical knowledge" just extend far enough into other people's professions that you are qualified to correct anyone at any time?

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The GOP leadership of Kansas is trying to revoke the Democratic governor's stay-at-home order. They had to meet with each other over teleconference due to the virus in order to kick off their plot and somehow the irony was completely lost on them. A lot of people are going to be sacrificed to pwn the libs.

China is really fumbling their opportunity for major PR/goodwill moves. For every story about Chinese generosity, I see another story of defective Chinese PPE.

The_J and Hrothbern like this.
  19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Not for car sales, I mean, in the general sense, it's called anchoring. Didn't mean it as a correction, but as an addition in case anyone was interested in reading more about it - the psychology is pretty interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring

20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

FSB director: "We must start patrolling the streets using army. Declare nation-wide curfew. Shut down all private media. Begin purges and detentions."
    Prime minister: "Will it help us to defeat coronavirus?"
    FSB director: "What coronavirus?"

tjs282, IglooDude, Grisu and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.