COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for car sales, I mean, in the general sense, it's called anchoring. Didn't mean it as a correction, but as an addition in case anyone was interested in reading more about it - the psychology is pretty interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring

My bad.

That isn't exactly what high balling is in the car business though, so I guess it is even more correct for describing what D'ump might be up to. Upon reflection, anchoring would be what we called setting the negotiation zone. High balling doesn't count as anchoring because it's not really meant to give the customer information that will ultimately be used in making their deal, it's giving them information that is meant to keep them from making a deal, as in "They said there was no way they would make any deal at the first store they stopped at, so I high balled their trade. They'll be back." The high ball on their trade is a number that no store anywhere can match, so it keeps them from buying anywhere else. The challenge, of course, is that when they come back you can't give them that either. The key that separates the successful car salesman from the chaff is being able to deliver the lowball in a way that allows you to get them off the lowball when they come back.

So back at Trump and the 100,000 dead, we don't know if he is anchoring to set up "satisfaction" when he "does a great job and only 90,000 people die" or if he is lowballing us because he thinks that he can maybe hide the facts later so that a casualty count in the half a million range doesn't get blamed on him or if he just made up a number on the fly because he hasn't been paying attention to the briefings but he knew that the fifteen he used before wasn't carrying well...but what we do know is that he is almost certainly not just telling us the truth as the experts have presented it to him.

Do we think there is a vein of expert truth that's prediction-modifying-worthy sitting out there somewhere he has access to?

Do we think there is a vein of expert truth that's prediction-modifying-worthy sitting out there somewhere he has access to?

I think he has better access to experts than I do. All I have is the internet.

Yeah, he does, but I think we already might know about what he knows. We're screwed on respirators and everyone knows it. The spread data doesn't seem secret, but he might get it a little sooner?

I'd be listening to governors at least as much. Which you very well might be doing better than him?

Somehow we've managed to find ventilators for every ICU bed.

There's a small factory in Auckland I'm guessing they're from there.

Right now we've got spare capacity but it's just starting. We're a few weeks behind the curve.

Still short of various hospital gear. Think we're making it.

That's incorrect. It was a 78-ish year old mother, and her 55+ year old adult children. Not that the actual details make it any less horrific, but just stating the fact of the matter.
Welcome to Off topic. I hope you continue to participate in our discussions.

BBC said:
'Virus-fighting' scientist gets magnets stuck in nose
An Australian astrophysicist who hoped to create a device to help stop people catching the coronavirus has ended up in hospital - after getting magnets stuck up his nose.

Dr Daniel Reardon came up with a plan to create a necklace which would react if your hands were near your face.

Unfortunately, the device did not work quite as planned.

"My invention had the opposite effect – it buzzed continuously until a magnet was put close."

'I knew I was in trouble'
"I had a laugh and gave up temporarily," he told the BBC. "Then I started mindlessly placing the magnets on my face. First my ear lobes, then my nostrils – like a magnetic piercing.

"The problem was when I put magnets in my other nostril. They all pinched together, and the ones on my septum got stuck!"

The university research fellow remained calm, however.

"At first it hurt, but I wasn’t too stressed," he said. "I started to get more and more stressed when I realised it wasn’t going to be trivial to remove them.

"Then, after using my last two magnets in a futile attempt to remove the magnets, and getting those stuck too, I knew I was in trouble."

But he was still determined to get out of the sticky situation by himself: he turned to pliers, but that came with its own challenges.

The power of attraction
"The pliers kept getting attracted to my nose, and the force of my nose being pulled was also painful."

It was at this point he realised he would have to make a trip to his local hospital in Melbourne - the same hospital his partner works at.

"They thought it was great, particularly the doctors that know my partner," he said. "They came past to have a laugh and ask 'why were you putting magnets in your nose?!'"

Luckily for him, the doctors were able to finally free the magnets, and he left hospital relatively unscathed.

As for his device - well, that has been put on the back-burner for now. "I think I’ll give up and let someone more qualified give it a go," he laughed.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52094804

I don't know how it is for others but its getting really eerie where I live. I only leave the house for groceries and it was like a ghost town Sunday afternoon at my local grocers. It's usually packed on Sundays... hard to even find a parking spot. Parking lot was empty... I thought for a second that the grocers was closed it was so empty.

Yeah, he does, but I think we already might know about what he knows. We're screwed on respirators and everyone knows it. The spread data doesn't seem secret, but he might get it a little sooner?

I'd be listening to governors at least as much. Which you very well might be doing better than him?

Yeah I certainly listen to governors, and actually trust what they say for the most part.

Trump did point out an actual true fact about the crisis yesterday. He said that TV ratings for his briefings are really high. Bright side to everything I guess, and we all find the one that is important to ourselves.

I don't know how it is for others but its getting really eerie where I live. I only leave the house for groceries and it was like a ghost town Sunday afternoon at my local grocers. It's usually packed on Sundays... hard to even find a parking spot. Parking lot was empty... I thought for a second that the grocers was closed it was so empty.
Been like that for a few weeks here.

Definitely lighter than normal here, but not really ghost towny. I'll have more to report later today though since I will be going somewhere other than the one intersection that all my trips for the past...month...have been to. Have to go to Home Depot and get a refrigerator, unless gf decides to go with a straight on line purchase.

Traffic is down. Parks are empty. People taking walks with their dogs, at least. Outside guys still outside, still getting chased in by weather. Everything is just soaked.

Definitely lighter than normal here, but not really ghost towny. I'll have more to report later today though since I will be going somewhere other than the one intersection that all my trips for the past...month...have been to. Have to go to Home Depot and get a refrigerator, unless gf decides to go with a straight on line purchase.
I took some pictures of my empty 6-lane streets yesterday to post but decided they were boring. The biking trail and the sidewalks directly adjacent to the residential buildings are busy but stray from those by even one block and Irvine is devoid of human life.

It was like that here last week... noticably alot more quiet but not quite ghost-towny yet... but its even quieter this week, definitely getting close to ghost town status.

Re: Home Depot - I assumed their retail locations would be closed so I ordered a freezer from them online... now the delivery has been pushed back *facepalm* I should have just gone to the store:shake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom