COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh snaaaaaap. I was just playing around with that conspiracy theory and now we find out there is a lab in the area where the virus originated that is equipped to work on such viruses.

Now I'm going with the rogue Chinese bioweapon theory until someone proves otherwise.
if you follow my link to the bottom you can actually contact the only lab in China that is certified to international standards to work on these types of Virus
the '' Wuhan Institute of Virology ''... if anyone is there to answer

There's also the Y2K issue, where every time a potential crisis is successfully largely averted, people end up thinking it was never a problem in the first place. You see that with things like natural disaster evacuations as well. The mere success of countermeasures breeds complacency and even conspiracy theories.
@Zkribbler has been reporting on this going on right now in the Philippines - people keep coming back to an active volcanic area, trusting they can get out in time the next time it erupts because they got away last time.

I don't want to die. :(

it might also have something to do with the ongoing disputes over the ownership of the DNA patent of the Corona virus that the Wuhan institute was involved in... just saying

Why are we allowing companies to patent viriuses ?

Teams of scientists in Canada, Hong Kong and the US were able to sequence the SARS virus with remarkable speed.9 A number of public research institutions filed provisional patent applications in respect of the complete genetic sequence of the coronavirus. The main contenders included the British Columbia Cancer Agency (‘BCCA’), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (‘CDC’), and The University of Hong Kong (‘HKU’). The detailed claims in these applications, although not yet publicly available, are reported to be sufficiently broad to allow their holders to claim rights in most diagnostic tests, drugs, or vaccines that have been or would be developed to cope with the outbreak. This race to patent the SARS virus

https://law.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1681117/Rimmer.pdf

Bah, virus can be stopped with vaccination and such.

I find much more worrying the ever growing antibiotics resistency crisis. Bacteria can kill you in an infinite number of horrible and creative ways.

Thats a very good question.... [censored] if I know
Ask the Wuhan Chinese Lab that is disbuting the patent
I have already left you contact details so you can you ask them... but don't expect a reply just yet from Wuhan...its chinese new year

In theory they shouldn't be able to. Because you can patent inventions, and you didn't invent the virus (or anything biological).
(This is obviously simplified, and a well known repelled patent case is the one for the breast cancer genes, but a friend of mine is a patent laywer in the field, and apparently this is pretty complicated).

Bah, virus can be stopped with vaccination and such.

I find much more worrying the ever growing antibiotics resistency crisis. Bacteria can kill you in an infinite number of horrible and creative ways.

You can also vaccinate against bacterial threats (e.g. tetanus is a bacterium), and we are far away from having proper vaccines against influenza, ebola, or any against HIV.
So... all of them are threats, but this one is urgent right now.

And lol, will ask my virology colleagues what they think about the conspiracy theories :lol:.

The grand irony would be if this virus was actually being developed by the Chinese to be used against the US
No, the grand irony is that you consider it insane government propaganda when Chinese people think similar things about US :)

As last news from Dutch sources:

The virus is likely from a new mutation of a bat virus that infected a snake in which body it took over RNA from a (yet unknown) other virus in that snake.
https://www.trouw.nl/wetenschap/chinese-coronavirus-waarschijnlijk-ontstaan-in-slangen~b30f7f44/

The Sars virus, another member of Corona viruses, was from a bat virus that infected a civet cat.
The bat's diabolical plan to extract revenge on the humans for spreading the fungal plague that wiped them out is working as intended then.

Last edited:
Oh snaaaaaap. I was just playing around with that conspiracy theory and now we find out there is a lab in the area where the virus originated that is equipped to work on such viruses.

Now I'm going with the rogue Chinese bioweapon theory until someone proves otherwise.

Coronavirus is an absurd choice for a bioweapon. It has low fatality and high human-to-human transmisibility, which is the opposite of what you'd want from a bioweapon.

Even if you're a cartoon villain and want to infect the entire world, it mostly kills the young and elderly, rather than say, people of conscription age.

If you look at the probable H1N1 leak, nobody thinks it was bioweapon related, it was just a mistake at a lab.

No, the grand irony is that you consider it insane government propaganda when Chinese people think similar things about US :)

The difference being that I'm joking around. The Chinese on the other hand legitimately believe, because of their government's propaganda, that the US would do something like that.

Honestly I think that the panic about it is hilarious. I mean, seriously. Yes, it is tragic that 42 people died. But that's 42 people in a nation of 1.5 billion. Even if everyone infected was to drop dead immediately that would still be just a 1/1500000 danger. More people die of the flue than that. Literally.

So I genuinely do not understand why people are getting so worked up about all this.

Honestly I think that the panic about it is hilarious. I mean, seriously. Yes, it is tragic that 42 people died. But that's 42 people in a nation of 1.5 billion. Even if everyone infected was to drop dead immediately that would still be just a 1/1500000 danger. More people die of the flue than that. Literally.

So I genuinely do not understand why people are getting so worked up about all this.
The Spanish flu pandemic also started with few dozens people dead, killed tens of millions.
This thing can be dangerous if uncontained. The main problem is that people can get infected by other people (unlike bird flu).
I also don't think there are reasons for panic, but wouldn't call it hilarious.

Do we already know how long a person is contagious after being infected ?

EDIT
I hope this story is not correct
Alarmingly, one child with the virus did not show any symptoms. Until then, health authorities had said that people with the virus all showed symptoms of fevers and coughs. However, an asymptomatic infection changes that picture dramatically. “Because asymptomatic infection appears possible, controlling the epidemic will also rely on isolating patients, tracing and quarantining contacts as early as possible, educating the public on both food and personal hygiene, and ensuring healthcare workers comply with infection control,” said research leader Dr Kwok-Yung Yuen of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital.
https://www.theguardian.com/science...-out-how-wuhan-victims-became-ill-coronavirus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom