1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Isn't that the proper word to use in english for when something is so incredibly stupid and overblown that it might as well be drawn from a comedy sketch as opposed to reality?

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

There is infection which appears to be as contagious as flu, but with ~10% mortality rate.
    Medical professionals don't seem to consider it a comedy sketch. I tend to trust them.

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Only if you have zero compassion for the sick, the dying, and the dead, and the loved ones they leave behind. :huh:

Canada has its first case now, in Toronto.

4. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Aviation makes world so small and vulnerable :sad:

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I do too, which is why I'm not worrying about this. It will be handled and contained by those medical professionals before this becomes a serious threat to humanity as a whole.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. Arwon

Arwon

The flip side here is people generally are not concerned enough about influenza

hobbsyoyo and The_J like this.
  7. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

So this is a pretty strong version of the flu, basically?

Are the people dying from this the usual old and infirm people with reduced immune systems, like with regular flu? Or does it do something special, like mostly affect young, healthy people? Does anyone know, because I'd consider this essential to know, but no one seems to mention it...

10% mortality rate? Source?

That would be me. Why should I be more concerned about influenza?

The Spanish flu also had the Great War to hide in.

Yeah, the multiresitent bacteria crisis seems much, much scarier to me. It's just allowed to fester and grow, it seems... :(

But volcano hillsides are awesome places to live and farm. We're not gonna leave them abandoned. Just improve whichever part of the evacuation didn't work smoothly last time, so it goes better next time.

8. red_elk

red_elk Deity

There is no definitive data, because the outbreak is ongoing. So far more people died from infection (56) than recovered (49).
    The mortality rate is higher than 3% (2.8% if no more people from 2000 infected dies at all, which is very unlikely). I supposed the rate may be similar to earlier SARS coronavirus infection.
    The Lancet's preliminary estimation is 15%.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

High proximity and mobility of humans is ofc the perfect driver for contagious diseases spreading faster than detected by us getting symptoms of that disease.
    Sewers don't help anymore.

I saw on the news that China banned trading in wildlife to reduce the likelyhood on the emergence of these kind of Corona diseases.
    But that does not adress the spreading once the virus is there. For that you need a fast detecting system.

Dogs can be trained for that:
    https://www.wired.com/story/the-science-of-the-sniff-why-dogs-are-great-disease-detectors/

Will also be a big business opportunity for high tech sniffing medical devices, with the challenge to sniff specific enough instead of only detecting some metabolites from infection mode of your body
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190731125426.htm

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. Arwon

Arwon

It kills, bad years can kill a lot of ppl. A lot more people could be getting shots than often do.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

For the same reason that shark attacks get national attention but drownings in the same water are a footnote locally.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. amadeus

amadeus ☆☆☆☆★

I have been avoiding some areas due to the heavy numbers of Chinese tourists.

I mean, I still do but I used to too.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Yes but if some other random person visits one of those areas, picks up the virus, then comes to an area that you frequent, you might still come in contact with the virus.

I'm scared. :undecide:

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I would bet that you are pretty safe in NFL Nova Scotia. If it shows up in force on Montreal and people start dying there, then you should pay closer attention. :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  15. aimeeandbeatles

I'm not in the NFL though. I don't even play football.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

A person has come down with the virus here where I live in Orange County.

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Oops! I always thought you were there rather than look at your profile see Nova Scotia. [facepalm] :)

In any case the threat to you is about the same. But keep an eye on Boston and Portland.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

People routinely underestimate how bad even a normal flu can be. It won't usually kill healthy people but it can - and sometimes it can do so quite readily. Something I've noticed is that often people who've never had the actual flu think it's NBD.

Arwon and The_J like this.
  19. aimeeandbeatles

I think the main way the Spanish Flu killed people was by sending the immune system into overdrive. That's why so many young, healthy people died from it.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

:undecide:
    We've got yesterday several Chinese people hospitalized with a fever, but it turned out to be a common cold.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.