1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josu

Josu King

The Spanish Partido Popular has proposed a set of measures of contingency against COVID19
    One of them is encouraging tourism

2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Another action to spread the virus:

Pope urges priests to visit the sick
    The pope has called on priests to visit people infected with the corona virus. Italy yesterday announced travel restrictions for the entire country to prevent the spread of the virus.
    "Let us pray to the Lord, also for our priests," said the Pope in the morning mass. "May they have the courage to go out and bring the sick the power of God's word and the Eucharist, and to accompany health workers and volunteers in the work they do."

"May they have the courage to go out"

I hope they use adequate protection like nurses and doctors in the hospitals.

But doubting that very much:
    why not have the courage to have enough priests infected first.... and deploy them after they are fully healed, and are no longer a (big) risk to be actually a source of spreading this virus.

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

What an idiot. Some should tell him to read some history. The priests weren't spared from the Black Death, and they don't have some divinely-granted immunity now, either. And since most of them will be in the older age groups...

What. An. Idiot. :wallbash:

4. Josu

Josu King

Javier Ortega-Smith, #2 of spanish Vox political party, is infected.
    He was in annual party's convention last weekend.

Arwon likes this.
  5. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

I guess Il Papa won't rest until he's the ill Papa.

Caring for the sick is a good act of faith by the clergy, but the telephone's been around for long enough time and God is everywhere, so let's use our heads in combating this virus.

6. haroon

haroon Deity

Indonesia is quite hot, Jakarta was around 29 sometime more, where I stay is around 24. Something interesting happened lately. There was a client that went to the office few days ago I just got the information today after one of the manager report me. She taking master program in Japan and just went back to Indonesia. At the office she look super ill and in the middle of the conversation she vomited and terrified all the employee, they try to remain calm but after she went off they throw the glass the she's using (not necessary just wash it using strong chemical might be sufficient) and wipe the place where she vomited repetitively. I really wonder if that is a sign, and lately I also become very ill, huge coughing (wet one not dry), fever, headache, throat soar, but thanks God all passed just the cough left, I always get heavy coughing with huge inflammation at least 3-4 time in a year, I went with mask everywhere just in case to protect other people surround me.

I hope the hypothesis that Valka mentioned is true, and I hope this is the reason of why there are low number of patience in Indonesia (2 in Jakarta and one from Bandung) even though there are so many Chinese tourist coming to Indonesia, especially Bali this early 2020.

Everything is so mess up.

Birdjaguar and tamyrlin like this.
  7. tamyrlin

tamyrlin Warlord

I'm also starting to feel the virus doesn't spread heavily in hot places. India had Corona virus from months now and it doesn't seem to have spread a lot , compared to what I see in Italy, south Korea etc. India is a third world country with healthcare and hygiene way below 1st world standards and a huge population. Same thing for African countries . I'm hopeful, world over things will improve in a month or 2 with temperature rising .

8. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

in northern hemisphere is winter, and there is less solar radiation.
    It's known that UV kills viruses... and there isn't much of it in the north.

In Italy it's not done with heavy handed cohercion like in China.
    All public gathering are suspended and people are requested to stay home as much as possible.
    Moving between towns is limited but possible: you need a permission for it.
    People are also allowed to go back to their town of residency.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2020
  9. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Got a message from my employer today, some measures to prepare for possible quarantine in the city.
    Otherwise, no visible changes.

10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

At a less cohercion level like in China:
    Key is that contact-tracing can be done succesfully, in order to find the first ring of people that could be infected around a newly diagnosed patient.

Sharpened containment and priority for test-kits can then be applied to the first ring people.
    With mass gatherings this defense mechanism is not watertight enough.
    Here in NL up to yesterday 50% of the people were infected in Italy, most others infected by these 50% and some infected in other countries with only 25 or so of unknown source.
    That unknown source likely mostly coming from Carnaval, a massive mass gathering.
    It is this growing number of un-allocated patients that are the big concern now.
    Most of them in Noord-Brabant, one of our two main Carnaval provinces.
    That's why stricter actions are now in place in that province.
    Should have happened 2 weeks ago.
    But it would have been seen as panick by many.

With unlimited test-kits you can defend at the level of people feeling sick getting a test. enabling to escalate immediately to full self-quarantaine.
    But we do not have unlimited test-kits.

If we would have zero gatherings where contact-tracing is practically impossible... from the very start in NL... we would have been in a much better position than now.
    Do note: this would allow most people to work normally, with for some functions that 1-2 meter distance restriction. No big economical impact.

But how do you "sell" that to your people at that moment 3 weeks ago.. with many believing... ohhh that happens in that stupid China... or stupid Italy... but we... we are "different".
    How do you get the buy in that almost all of your people do what you cannot enforce.

When an emergency arises suddenly... you get what and who you are... with some random effects of luck or tough luck... with some bandwidth from how well your influencing people act (from top to bottom in your societry, styarting with your government)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Birdjaguar and Socrates99 like this.
  11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

It feels like the reporting and criticism of trump's handling of the disease has been kind of hyperbolic and partisan here. I wish it wasn't politicized like it is. One side wants to pin a failure on the potus. The other side either minimizes it or has conspiracy theories about Bill Gates or George Soros creating the virus in a lab in an evil plot to hurt Trump....ugh our education system is apparently painfully bad if there are people believing that.

Is reporting the same in other countries? Its driving me nuts that disasters wind up constantly turning partisan.

hobbsyoyo and Estebonrober like this.
  12. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Trump's administration has actively sabotaged the CDC. It's partisan to the extent that Republicans are wearing blinders about it, I guess, but that doesn't seem like a Democrat/Independent problem. They shouldn't clasp hands, sing Kumbaya, and relish in the joys of a horrifically mismanaged and underfunded CDC and national response policy. That Republicans are content to mock and downplay is not a reflection of partisan tomfoolery on the part of the people who are asking for a better response.

Trump's response has been objectively bad. People saying it's bad isn't "partisan" because Trump's supporters are saying it's really good, actually. Ethical journalism isn't asking the question "Is it raining?" and then publishing someone who says it is and someone who says it isn't. It's checking to see if it's raining and then publishing whether or not it is. This is not new. Trump is not being unfairly maligned, he has gone through previous disasters with just as much mismanagement and ineptitude. He's living up to the standard he's set, and we've already seen what that standard is. It's crap. It's a crap standard. People pointing out that it's a crap standard isn't hyperbolic and partisan. It's just the truth.

Also, just for the fun of it, see Gosar's Twitter feed.

13. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

It would be ironic if the coronavirus killed Trump.

Went to grocery store a little while ago. The milk is running low there. (I didn't check on the storm chips though.)

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

It isn't disasters that turn partisan. What is partisan is politics. The GOP tells the same lie about their fiscal conservatism constantly, and that lie is so deeply grained that people believe it. It is well past time that lie gets challenged, and this is part of it.

GWBush: Look at that beautiful balanced budget! Yay Republicans.
    Democrats: You defunded disaster relief in the budget. We all know that won't work.
    <hurricane hits>
    GWBush: We need a disaster relief funding bill to pay for this hurricane, and by the way we're gonna throw in all this stuff that we left out of the budget.
    Democrats: WTF?
    GOP: They are evil! Holding relief from poor suffering hurricane victims just because it is a red state!!!!
    Democrats: <sigh>
    <next year>
    GWBush: Look at that beautiful balanced budget! Yay Republicans.
    Democrats: Un-freakin' believable...you underfunded disaster relief even further!

Is there any doubt that the GOP is playing the same game with the CDC?

15. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

The only problem with those assessments is if the coronavirus turns out to be a minor threat in the US the hyperbole reinforces Trump's position of "fake news, all a plot" take on the coverage. Teflon Don comes out smelling like roses.

I'm not sure I like banking on things going wrong to prove a point. Even if its really bad and we have a few thousand deaths its likely to get overshadowed and forgotten by the next scandal. How much do we still hear about Puerto Rico or the conditions of the immigrants in cages?

I guess I was curious to know if it dominates foreign news cycles like it is ours.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Hygro and hobbsyoyo like this.
  16. aimeeandbeatles

I remember asking a friend from Australia recently if the fires ever went out because I never heard about it on the news anymore. (Thankfully, they are!)

hobbsyoyo and Socrates99 like this.
  17. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

And here i am, posting after cleaning my cellphone with alcohol.

If everybody were as paranoic as me the world would be a better place. :gripe:

hobbsyoyo and The_J like this.
  18. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Why do people doubt Trump's ability to handle this crisis? Are the Democrats being partisan when they claim he's treating the situation poorly?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1237442130844495872

Some other choice quotes:

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Last time he bragged about his ability to understand briefings, we got a sharpied map.

hobbsyoyo and Synsensa like this.
  20. aimeeandbeatles

I remember people thinking it was very hilarious because the 'cone of uncertainty,' so it should have been getting bigger, not smaller.

hobbsyoyo and El_Machinae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.