1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

My wife hasn't cleaned a toilet since 2004 iirc.

Maybe perhaps but it's a "boy" job. Her words.

Hrothbern likes this.
  2. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I always sit on private toilets.
    Is a habit I got used to as little kid when I used the toilet for secretly reading books during late evening.
    We had to sleep and keeping the lights on was forbidden. And my elder brother, in our shared bedroom, did not play along with violating that rule.

Here also an article showing how, according to that reporter, South Korea, Singapore, HongKong, Macau, Taiwan did a good job.
    (South Korea having in my eyes really bad luck with that one superspreader in that religious sect causing an uncontrolled start of the spreading)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-strategies-used-in-asia-to-slow-coronavirus

I miss in the real headlines the good news
    starting with China !

As reported:
    China had yesterday only 24 new cases.
    half of those new cases diagnosed yesterday in China where coming from people that travelled into China !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2020
    hobbsyoyo and The_J like this.
  4. Josu

Josu King

The company I work for prepared a simulacrum for today and we are working from home.
    The VPN went down at 8:00 AM

5. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

See, that's the type of hyperbole that worries me. If it never hits that point the alarmists wind up with egg on their face while a dope like Pence looks like he managed something responsibly. The complaints about the hollowed out CDC look unwarranted and rightwing goobers will feel justified for trimming the fat. They'll likely look for other places to slash and burn.

6. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

8. civvver

civvver Deity

I hate washing my hands all the time. I have eczema on my hands and washing them dries them out but worse it strips away all the lotions (some of them prescriptions) that I use so I have to reapply right after. Guess we'll have to do it though. I've been washing them after working out (usually I just wait and go shower later) and before eating which I didn't do all that often before.

Michigan announced their first two confirmed cases last night and declared a state of emergency right away. Both victims of the virus had traveled internationally. Still debating this trip to San Fran. My wife is leaning no, I'm leaning yes.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

The above is absolutely wrong. Those remedies are the only thing that will stop it. There are no "medical remedies".

And this is right and should have been done weeks ago all over the world. Now, because it has spread and because containment and eradication of the epidemic is not been done in sync, it will be absolutely necessary to tighten borders, restrict travel, and impose quarantines to all people coming from those countries that have not contained it it, in order for the first to go back to "near-normal".

Don't give me the "it can't be done". It can and this time it will, because it must. Borders won't be totally sealed, no one is calling for that, but traffic must be very much lowered and kept low until this is finished. Together with the ongoing caution in countries like Taiwan, it will allow for a return to "near-normal" soon enough. Daily life, production and trade will go back to normal, international tourism and travel will not anytime soon. What cannot be allowed is unrestricted border crossings, no quarantines and no care as was done in most countries before this showed up. It was inviting disaster, for a long time when this happened...

Sofista and Hrothbern like this.
  10. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I'm a bit obsessed with hand washing, usually wash them at first opportunity after handshake or touching door handles, etc.

Kyriakos likes this.
  11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

A proper quarantine should obviously last for forty days ^_^

Rashiminos likes this.
  12. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Indeed, funny how one learns to minimize the mess when one does the cleaning :lol:

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

NM got its first three case today. Travelers returning from Egypt and NYC. Two are from a nearby county and one from Albuquerque. All likely went through the Albuquerque airport.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  14. Josu

Josu King

The VPN recovered and the simulacrum was succesful.
    I have been told to work from home until new order

15. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

One virus to new order them all.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

While this is factually accurate it is also very likely to be temporary. Develop a vaccine, vaccinate the old people who are likely to be severely impacted by the virus, and it just runs its course and fades into history.

That is far and away not the best course, but it is the most likely course because neither the political system nor the economic system can bear up to the wiser courses of action that you described, unfortunately.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

A nice site: https://nextstrain.org/ncov
    Here graphs on the Genomic epidemiology of Covid-19.
    Schermopname (447).png

On the site you can nicely zoom in in the map and then track how it did spread

18. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Humans are both bad at numbers and also don't have sufficient emotional scale to measure 1 million dead and 1 billion dead as being significantly different.

Arwon and hobbsyoyo like this.
  19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

@Hrothbern Nice. Care to give us a summary of what it says? :)

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

It's certainly a threat, but not even on the borderlines of existential threat to humanity. Has it actually proven fatal to anyone who was not already past child bearing age yet? You can't eliminate a species by picking off the most elderly specimens.

stfoskey12 and Birdjaguar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.