COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a quarantine and people in mandatory self-isolation need food, there will be something set up for them. This is Canada. I refuse to believe we wouldn't help them.

I am under ordered self-isolation right now. No resources were offered or available. I was just told to stay away from others and the hospital unless I develop pneumonia or get too weak. And if I do go to the hospital, to call beforehand so they can set up an isolated room. I doubt the latter will be possible for much longer once the hospitals are overwhelmed.

I am under ordered self-isolation right now. No resources were offered or available. I was just told to stay away from others and the hospital unless I develop pneumonia or get too weak. And if I do go to the hospital, to call beforehand so they can set up an isolated room. I doubt the latter will be possible for much longer once the hospitals are overwhelmed.

Get better soon :grouphug:

Uh maybe the group hug isn't such a good idea

I'm sorry you're in that situation :(

It's early and it's not up and running yet. Call your city help hotline and explain the situation and ask them who you can call.

If they can't help, break self-isolation the safest way you can.

I'm sorry you're in that situation :(

It's early and it's not up and running yet. Call your city help hotline and explain the situation and ask them who you can call.

If they can't help, break self-isolation the safest way you can.

I have enough money for getting food delivered. They've just been leaving it by my door. They ordinarily wouldn't but the driver was very willing to abide. :lol:

Get better soon :grouphug:

Uh maybe the group hug isn't such a good idea

I'm probably fine. :) They're just employing "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck" philosophy.

It's not only people in isolation who don't have delivery service or family/friends to help who could have problems. There's no real plan to take care of the homeless, as many of them don't even know this is going on if they're not living in a shelter. How do you isolate someone with no place to go, and make sure they have everything they need?

On a bemusing note... I don't know how much lead time is involved in contests and advertising, but last week's London Drugs flyer has a promotion for a prize of a 6-night trip to Spain... and the way people are entered in the contest is if they buy Purex bathroom tissue! :crazyeye:

I should also mention that yesterday when I voted at the byelection I was surprised there weren't any bottles of hand sanitizer. The poll workers said it's because somebody actually stole them. Sheesh.
I'm guessing they left the bottles behind the screens, along with the pencils, and nobody made regular checks? That's something they should have done; we had to do that, just to make sure the pencils didn't need sharpening, and to ensure that nobody left any campaign material behind.

Don't worry that much. There may be shortages of medicines later on, but there are no shortages of foods. Trade can go on even if movement of people is restricted. And I'm sure that despite the utter incompetence of authorities at prevention they can be smart enough to provide basic provisions to people in quarantine. There's no "political and economic risk" stopping the cowards from doing that.
There's ideology. Some governments can be utterly sociopathic when it comes to segments of the population they deem worthless and a burden.

Kenney's making noises about being so concerned about the people of Alberta. If he cared about all the people, he would ensure that the seniors, disabled, and low-income working poor had access to help as well (ie. if someone who has to use the food bank on a regular basis and has to self-isolate, how could they set aside 14 days' worth of food for the family when they're not allowed to access food banks that frequently?).

Oh, damn. :(

:hug: (virtual ones are absolutely safe)

I sincerely hope you get better soon!!!

(edit, I then saw you say you are probably fine already - if so, great ^_^ )

On a bemusing note... I don't know how much lead time is involved in contests and advertising, but last week's London Drugs flyer has a promotion for a prize of a 6-night trip to Spain... and the way people are entered in the contest is if they buy Purex bathroom tissue! :crazyeye:

There's at least two travel agencies doing lots of ads on the radio. It honestly feels a little desperate. :lol:

Someone on one of my Discord servers (posted with permission but name blurred for privacy) brought up a point that I'm not going to try to paraphrase because it's well-said

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have food to last more than a couple of days of delivery?

There's at least two travel agencies doing lots of ads on the radio. It honestly feels a little desperate. :lol:
The chief medical officer in Alberta is telling us not to leave the country, especially to go on a cruise.

Still only 5 official cases, travel restrictions probably tomorrow. We've had restrictions on China since Feb 5.

I'm fine with the NBA ban and more bans/cancellations that are sure to come. Better be safe than sorry.

Wife's Auntie left a few days ago for a cruise. She's in Adelaide but they're being advised not to go.

If she dies looks like she's gonna get shunned for 2 weeks.

EDIT: On a different point (as I don't want to triple post), has Russia proven that closing your borders is an effective means of slowing the spread of the virus? Russia closed its border with China and they only have around 20 reported cases and zero deaths. Compare that to countries that haven't closed their borders that are reporting hundreds or even thousands of cases and death tolls that are slowly ticking upwards.
Unfortunately we weren't so fast in closing borders with other countries, all new cases were brought from Europe IIRC. We most likely only bought a couple of weeks time to prepare.

Unfortunately we weren't so fast in closing borders with other countries, all new cases were brought from Europe IIRC. We most likely only bought a couple of weeks time to prepare.

You would need to deal them Soviet Union style. With cruise ships in Saint Petersburg plus air travel to late.

Russian hospitals don't look so great.

People don;t wan to expose themselves anyways.

Sadly LOL

This week the Valencia-Atalanta of UEFA Champions League was played without audience in Valencia.
3000 people went to the statium and stayed outside cheering their team up.

Yesterday the mayor of Sevilla said that Easter processions are going to be celebrated because in Sevilla he has more decision power than the WHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom