COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Still Russia did very good in this pandemics.

red_elk likes this.
  2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Good so far, but I'm afraid the worst part is not started yet.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

Outside of bigger events being banned I don't feel too much around here yet, though Switzerland is expected to declare state of emergency any day now. Though the authorities yesterday repeated that they will want to keep schools open as long as possible.

Basel banned the upcoming Euro League home game against Frankfurt for this exact reason, claiming a game without audience won't be enough to keep the people away.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. Josu

Josu Emperor

Next weeks probably I will be worried about health care system being unable of attending all people but currently I am more worried about human stupidity.
    I have seen people in supermarket buying fruit, which can not be frozen, for several weeks, causing shortage in the supermarket.
    Maybe they are going to prepare marmalade, I don't know

innonimatu likes this.
  5. IglooDame

IglooDame Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

My travel laptop didn't have my CFC password, nor the email I used to register. Sorted, thank you kind and gentle mods. :hatsoff:

Air Emirates flight from US to Dubai was 95% full, from Dubai to India ditto. On the way back this weekend, looks like the India-Dubai flight is <50% full, and the flight back to the US appears to be 95% full again.

Meanwhile, yes India had forehead-thermometer screenings of all arriving passengers (and I was asked about six times about what country I came from or had visited recently). This week they've suspended all tourist visas for the next month. The business I am visiting has steadily more developers working from home, and the hotel I'm staying at is now doing forehead-thermometer checks of all guests every time they enter the building.

My company has been in critical-travel-only mode since Monday, and we're getting ready to activate BCDR (business continuity/disaster recovery) plans which will allow a majority of employees to work from home as needed, in all countries that we're in. We have no employees in China, Italy, or any of the other few hardest-hit countries.

Obviously, I'm going to feel a lot better once I'm actually driving home from the airport on Saturday because there's a certain sense that it would be easy to get caught in a mandatory-quarantine situation right now either here in India or at an airport along the way.

Birdjaguar, hobbsyoyo and amadeus like this.
  6. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Like guns for example?

7. Manfred Belheim

There are many kinds of people I'll have sympathy for, but people who have spent small fortunes on weddings are not on the list.

8. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I wasn't asking you to have sympathy, simply contrasting the severity of something with actual legal ramifications (as weddings have, in so many countries) with a football match. Not all weddings are twenty-thousand pound white dress fanfic weddings, some have intense cultural and often religious attachments. I recommend not judging just because somebody spent money on it :)

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. Manfred Belheim

Or if not quarantine, at least a parade.

10. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I was wrong. I didn't want to bank on disaster though. The partisan aspect makes it look like trump's opponents want bad things to happen. That was more my point.

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Administrator Supporter

Ireland is closing schools and universities.
    I wonder if that will happen in France too :think:.

A friend of mine is wprking for a spinoff of Christian Hansen in Kopenhagen. Today they suspended operations for the coming 3 months (except what can be done from home).

12. Josu

Josu Emperor

Spanish Minister of Equality is also infected. All members of government are going to have the COVID-19 test

Schools and universities closed in Basque Country

Media has reported that some people from Madrid who is allowed to work from home, have left the city and had gone to summer houses in the mediterran

13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

UK is in the middle of a COBRA meeting on Covid-19. Still unclear what will be put into effect, as far as I'm aware, though closing schools and the like isn't out of the question.

For us little folk who aren't cabinet ministers, I've been linked to a great (imo) piece from a NZ outlet on what the general stages of Covid-19 are and how we can aim to minimise the impact. Link here.

14. Josu

Josu Emperor

Schools from Catalonia and Galicia closed as well.

They were spected elections in Basque Country and Galicia for 5th of April, they can only be postponed if the electoral law changes -but parliament is closed- or if State of Alert is declared

15. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Why are we banning air travel to europe? We already have uncontainable spread within the U.S.

Estebonrober likes this.
  16. Josu

Josu Emperor

BTW Spanish La Liga stopped for at least 2 weeks

17. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I have a friend from Belfast who was supposed to visit in April. Kinda bummed it looks like he wont be able to come.

18. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Panic starts to take hold in Poland. Starting Monday schools are closed for 2 weeks, public transport is starting to cancel out connections today. Shops are flooded with customers buying out large quantities of water, dry foods and hygiene suppplies. I just had to fill out a form at work that I didn't travelled or had contact with anyone from infectedf countries. Everyone is eyeing you with fear as soon as You just look like You might sneeze. Special law is in effect that allows government to isolate people without consent. I fear that the panic will do more damage than virus itself.

Estebonrober and Josu like this.
  19. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

Just went to Wal-Mart, toilet paper and dissinfectant wipes sold out.

Just worked at the warehouse on Monday and the warehouse had plenty of toilet paper (and getting more in), and the warehouse delivers to each store everyday (some stores more than once), so must be getting sold out as soon as it comes in. Knew I should have ran to WM last night when I heard Trump was making a speech, but I have at least a couple weeks supply, so not too worried.

Deliveries, drones, etc. is fine, if those loading the drones and making the deliveries aren't infected.....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  20. Josu

Josu Emperor

Schools closing is a measure that helps to reduce the infected people per day, so that health care system can be able to manage the ammount of ill people.
    It is supposed to be effective in this way.

I completely agree with you with the panic issue in supermarkets

AdamCrock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.