1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Do kids not play board games anymore? Do jigsaw puzzles? Card games? Read? Color? No LEGO? Surely most will have some kind of homework or online schoolwork to do.

I don't need to worry about isolating so far (and hopefully it doesn't happen), but if it did, I have plenty to occupy myself.

Like right now, I'm watching the most amazing concert on PBS. It's not as good as Yanni (in my opinion), but it's doing its job of lifting my mood.

I'm sure that when it's your time, you can just wave a copy of your country's constitution in the air and you'll become immortal. :coffee:

WHAT?! :huh:

Did you mean to say "inadequate testing"? In a just universe, I'd support it. But just as any sleazy Canadian politician with the title of "Right Honourable" gets away with crimes that would land anyone else in prison (I'm referring to Mulroney and Harper, and let's add in Jason Kenney's blatant electoral fraud; we have an illegitimate premier in my province), I would suppose it's likely the same in the U.S. The higher they are on the totem pole, the worse things they get away with.

Keep in mind that the people posting in this thread are not only Americans. There are several Canadians, plus people from Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and elsewhere. We're an international community here, and some of us are worried for reasons that apply to our own countries'/provinces' situations. In short: IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.

I'm glad I stocked up on most basics last fall, in my usual plan to have enough to get through the winter - and I still have enough for a couple of months. It's just the perishable stuff and topping up things I was nearly out of that I've bought recently. As mentioned before, my only remaining concern is pharmacy-related.

I'm pretty sure Etsy wouldn't let you get away with it. Ebay and Amazon probably would, as long as they didn't receive specific complaints. But keep in mind that you have an FBI file as a mad chemist, and it's just possible they might have people assigned to watch out for activity like this.

I carry gloves with me away from home now, because I'm someone who cannot use hand sanitizer due to allergies. I haven't worn them yet, but would if people started freaking out if they noticed I wasn't using sanitizer.

What an absolutely disgusting thing to say.

You're going to be 80 yourself some day.

SARS is something distant for me - literally. To me it's something that happened in Toronto and Vancouver, and I didn't have to worry about it.

This is something else. At least so far in Alberta all the cases are related to travel.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  2. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

Lmaoooo

Ok, I see that the way you read this:
    was a grammatically valid interpretation. But what I meant was "not just any human life." I.e., the deaths are skewed towards the elderly, not uniformly across the population.

3. haroon

haroon Deity

I get this (hoax?) info from whatsapp group, this is from an Indonesian Chinese who work in Singapore, so I think the information can be sourced from one of the three country.

edit: I'm unable to trace back the news source

trump.jpg

4. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

From 3:30 until the close at 4, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rocketed up 1000 points to close the day up +2000 points or +10%. :D

Perfectly planned stock market bump by Trump's address to the nation.

Terrible news would have been at 4PM, after the stock market and newspapers were done until Monday.

Right.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Assuming your region has industrial scale composting, not garbage.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Aren't you the same fellow who wanted age of consent not be required when having sexual intercourse with minors a few years ago?

aelf and Arwon like this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I've just gone over to Newsweek and the NYT and neither of them said anything of the sort.
    I did find the following in the latter though:

tl;dr Trump will be tested ‘soon’; at first he said he didn't need to be tested because he wasn't sick.
    So if he hasn't been tested then he cannot test positive.

haroon likes this.
  8. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I think he's also the one who took old antibiotics for a cold :shake:

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Great op-ed.

10. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Rice and canned foods taken a hit. Still in stock though.

About $3.20 USD approx.

IMG_20200314_191605.jpg

Late Saturday night.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Actually, they didn't. The money was used to help bank liquidity and was used to shuffle Government assets around. It did not go into the stock market.

Your compassion is something to behold. If your company is unwilling to take care of its workers, shame on your company. The ongoing fed use of cash and bonds to maintain bank liquidity has been going on periodically for many months. It will not stop a recession. It is not going to pump up GDP which is how we measure recessions. 70% of the US GDP is consumer driven spending. The only way to preserve GDP is for people to go out and spend money. And they have to want to spend the money. Right now they don't want to do so. And for health reasons governments are shutting down many of those opportunities. Tourism is a huge part of GDP and much of that is spent by old people. Why would any old person want to resume traveling to places if going there might kill them?

A prolonged recession will be tough on folks. We can hope that Congress will be helpful to those who lose jobs or who are forced to take sick leave. I suggest that you do your part and go shopping very day, eat out at local restaurants, attend movies, and visit the elderly who are lonely in their nursing homes. If you become a carrier of the virus you can even kill a few of those worthless souls while you do your good deeds.

I was asked about that by a friend in China yesterday. It has been floating around there for 36 hours at least.

haroon likes this.
  12. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I've been getting emails all day from various online retailers I've ordered from at some time or other, reassuring me that they take the virus very seriously, have stepped up their efforts to keep everything clean and sanitary, hand sanitizer will be available, and everything is perfectly safe, please continue to shop there... everything from Chapters (book store) to Petland (where I occasionally purchase litter box supplies) to Skip the Dishes (no more cash payments accepted; payment has to be by plastic, everything will be tightly sealed, and you can request the food be left outside your door so you don't even have to have any contact with the driver). It's been years since I last shopped at some of these places, whether in person or online, but it's nice to see they're trying to be reassuring to the customers.

That said, Petland is a store where they do need to be extremely careful since they sell live animals there, hold adoption events, and allow pets to accompany their humans when shopping.

13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Some good news
    Our scientists are all working hard
    It turned out that one antibody developed against SARS-1 seems to work against Covid-19

Here some more from a magazine of that Erasmus University (Rotterdam, NL):
    And here the article as presented to Nature:
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.987958v1.full.pdf
    With all the negative news
    We are making progress, not only against this specific virus or the related family, but also in general.
    Do mind that Homo Sapiens is heaping up over time an increasing load of endemic virus families. (because we do not easily die as a species).
    We are not that far distanced to kill off a lot of them with our improving insights and mass production of effective substances.
    Time to exterminate that big cause of annoying sickness rates and protecting the weak.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  14. Sofista

Sofista Emperor

@Valka, pets don't carry the virus. In fact, taking your dog for a walk is one of very few chances one has to legitimately leave home here - it has become a coveted thing to do. One of my colleagues posts in our whatsapp chat that her dog is enthusiastic about being taken to the park by all family members in turn (you can't do that in groups, or even pairs).

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

16. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

That’s some good news!

Concerning the two bolded parts here, what’s an antibody vs. a vaccine? If it blocks the coronavirus, isn’t that the same as a vaccine? Pardon my science pea brain.

haroon likes this.
  17. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

SARS and MERS have some very important differences to the Wuhan Virus.
    The affected became contagious after showing symptoms, so it was relatively easy to isolate them before they could infect too many people.
    In the Wuhan Virus the affected are contagious several days before showing any symptoms, so it is much more complex to stop the spread.
    This mandates large scale containment.
    The containment can be done within a democratic framework:
    Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Korea did it.
    (Korea has huge bad luck due to the super-spreader in than religious community).
    It requires:
    1. Population that that this seriously
    2. Social-financial support
    3. Country leadership united against the common enemy
    In the case of the above countries, they also had experience from SARS that really helped

Estebonrober likes this.
  18. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Your body will produce antibodies to neutralise and kill virusses.
    If you give somebody a vaccin against a virus, in effect a weakened version of that virus, and therefore less sickness, your body is still triggered to make the same antibodies and your immune system will remember how to make them when the real virus is there.
    Giving patients directly the effective antibodies for a specific virus is a shortcut for someone sick. Like giving fish to hungry people instead of giving fishing nets that they can use to catch their own fish.
    Getting the vaccin is therefore the best way to deal with this virus, also because it can be given preventative. But it takes longer time for our scientists to develop.

The_J and amadeus like this.
  19. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

ohh
    What I forgot to mention about the goals of the Erasmus University team, is that they think that they can use this antibody also to make a "do it yourself" test kit, for everybody to use. Just like a pregnancy test.

The_J and haroon like this.
  20. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

So receiving the antibody would help those infected, but not prevent infection like a vaccine?

haroon and Hrothbern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.