COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I've heard about a coronavirus from China making a lot of people sick and some of them die. Then someone in Seattle brought it back and got sick.

Here is a page about coronaviruses on Wikipedia. There's also a Wikipedia page about the outbreak.

I hope no more people die. :(

I have already identified which of my friends have the biggest gun stashes in case of a zombie apocalypse.

But yeah this is sucky consequence of a shrinking globe. Thankfully, our medicine is much advanced since the days of the Spanish Flu but global megadeath by pandemic is still a haunting specter.

Wait, earth is shrinking??

I've heard about a coronavirus from China making a lot of people sick and some of them die. Then someone in Seattle brought it back and got sick.

Here is a page about coronaviruses on Wikipedia. There's also a Wikipedia page about the outbreak.

I hope no more people die. :(
And in China now, it is their Spring Festival (New Years) and hundreds of million of people travel from their current homes in cities to their family homes in the country over the next two weeks. Trains and planes are packed to the gills. The opportunities for spreading are a perfect storm.

And in China now, it is their Spring Festival (New Years) and hundreds of million of people travel from their current homes in cities to their family homes in the country over the next two weeks. Trains and planes are packed to the gills. The opportunities for spreading are a perfect storm.
The news said it is the largest human migration on Earth. I would have that it was the Hajj but nope. Someone else mentioned this in OT recently, I think it was @Arwon.

The CBC article I read said Seattle. :undecide:

Two suspected cases in Russia, with tourists returning from China.
I'm not worried, our authorities say the situation is stable.

It's always stable till it's not.
They're testing for it at the airport.

I have already identified which of my friends have the biggest gun stashes in case of a zombie apocalypse

If you can make your way to Ohio, look for the banners of a gold Spartan helmet with a sword through it against a black background. There you will find sanctuary.

Verbatim from the radio news:

"Ontario's chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, says the country is in a much better position to respond to the outbreak compared to 17 years ago when severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, killed more than 900 people globally, including 44 in Canada.

"The Nova Scotia health authority says the emergency department in Tatamagouche will be closed during daytime hours Thursday."

Yes, a far better position. :huh:

Up until a few days ago they were saying it does not pass from human to human. Today the BBC has been told by a doctor at a hospital in Wuhan:
Doctor in Wuhan said:
The virus is now spreading at an alarming rate. The hospitals have been flooding with thousands of patients, who wait hours to see a doctor - you can imagine their panic.
It is frightening that it seems to have changed so much so quickly. It could fizzle out soon as the measures come into place, or it could be the death neal for our civilisation.
[EDIT] Another more positive point, that 2 weeks after work started on this virus they have already shared the genomic sequence of 19 strains of the virus. For reference it took 13 years do the 1st human sequence. Nature has a reasnoble write-up.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I saw a meme somewhere about there being epidemics in both 1820 and 1920, so now that it's 2020... :scared:

A Chinese man living in Kanagawa Prefecture (that’s over by Tokyo) was treated and released from the hospital for the virus; he had been in Wuhan but not the contaminated fish market sometime in early January or late December?

I hope they do some rigorous screenings here of Chinese tourists. Lots of them are coming into the city and I wouldn’t want to get it.

"The Nova Scotia health authority says the emergency department in Tatamagouche will be closed during daytime hours Thursday."
I didn’t even know kids still played with those things...

The emergency departments in more rural parts of Nova Scotia are constantly closing down because there's not enough doctors. Our government really isn't doing much about it.

First 2 possible cases in the UK:
Two travellers to Scotland from China are being treated in hospital amid fears over the spread of deadly coronavirus.
The patients were taken into isolation after reporting flu-like symptoms after entering the UK.
It is believed that the travellers came to Scotland from Wuhan, the Chinese city where the latest outbreak erupted, in the past week.

So, uh, should we start panicking?

The emergency departments in more rural parts of Nova Scotia are constantly closing down because there's not enough doctors. Our government really isn't doing much about it.

It's expensive to convince medical programs they need to expand admission to students that were just under borderline, it's expensive to put programs in place to compel students so admitted to a term of practice in an underserved area after finishing training. And it takes a lot of time before the expenses bear fruit. Way too easy to say you're doing something else and not do the only things that work.

China appears to be shutting down travel in several cities with the military in advance of the holiday. It's probably too late to halt it there, quarantines, if they're to be used, will probably need to be broader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom