Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2021-2-21_11-43-21.png

The top 10 won't easily change.
Or the top 5, for that matter.

@Samson

Quite so.

Nevertheless I'd hazard a prediction that the overall effectiveness of
the various vaccines will, in retrospect, turn out to be remarkably similar.

I suspect the key factors impacting vaccine effectiveness will be:

(a) general health, of which age is the most significance, and thereby vigour of the immune system
(b) healthy diet
(c) past history of other infections having subtly influenced (preset) the immune system
(d) genetics contributing to the immune system

@Kyriakos

I never believed the claims that the UK had the 5th largest economy in the world.
I have doubts about Covid death counts, but I suspect that it is more accurate.

Apparently there's a plan to start vaccinating adults aged 50-74 here in Alberta, starting in April. I fall into two categories, for age and being at-risk. The idea is that we register by giving Alberta Health Services our email address and they'll email us when it's "our turn."

Going by this government's twisted priorities, I will be pleasantly surprised if they get around to me before the end of the year. I'll be even more pleasantly surprised if the site I'm told to go to will be somewhere I can actually get to.

Apparently there's a plan to start vaccinating adults aged 50-74 here in Alberta, starting in April. I fall into two categories, for age and being at-risk. The idea is that we register by giving Alberta Health Services our email address and they'll email us when it's "our turn."

Going by this government's twisted priorities, I will be pleasantly surprised if they get around to me before the end of the year. I'll be even more pleasantly surprised if the site I'm told to go to will be somewhere I can actually get to.

Canada seems to be behind the UK.

I suggest you explain your condition politely,
and have a para-medic sent to your home.

Well, I got my vaccination this week – I was not expecting it until sometime next month, it’s just that they are being given out at an incredible rate.

The vaccination procurement and administering of the jabs has been quite astonishing; the UK is not normally this efficient.

All over 50s are now expected to be done by the middle of April and all over 18s by 31st July.

There is talk of the English FA offering to host the (postponed) 2020 Euros this summer on its own (it was meant to be Europe wide, with the final at Wembley).

On the positive side:
https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int-idUSKBN2AJ08J
Israeli studies find Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine reduces transmission

Data analysis in a study by the Israeli Health Ministry and Pfizer Inc found the Pfizer vaccine developed with Germany’s BioNTech reduces infection, including in asymptomatic cases, by 89.4% and in syptomatic cases by 93.7%.

[...]

A separate study by Israel’s Sheba Medical Center published on Friday in The Lancet medical journal found that among 7,214 hospital staff who received their first dose in January, there was an 85% reduction in symptomatic COVID-19 within 15 to 28 days with an overall reduction of infections, including asymptomatic cases detected by testing, of 75%.

It really gets me that serious journalists can quote a study without providing links to it.

This happens all the time. I wonder if it's a kind of standard in the field... o_O
So yeah, no idea which studies these are, and you have a good point there.

My wife and I got our first shots yesterday. My employer emailed me around 11 am telling me that I had until 2 pm to get up to the local hospital if I wanted to be vaccinated. My wife came along, mostly just to get out of the house, but when we arrived we discovered that she was on the list of eligible people (teachers in the county), so that worked out nicely. She subs and I work at a college, so neither of us had expected to be eligible yet. They are starting to vaccinate high-risk individuals in a week or so, so it shouldn't have been too long a wait, as we both fall in that category.

My mother's second shot was delayed due to weather-related transportation issues, but she's back on the schedule for this afternoon. She lives out in the middle of nowhere, and has a 2-hour drive (each way) to get to her vaccination site. My dad (with more serious health issues) didn't get his first shot until about 10 days later, but his are at a closer location, only about an hour away.

The NHS letter inviting me to apply for a vaccine arrived a few days ago, and my
local GP has texted me, but I will be putting the vaccination off for several weeks.

Well, for me, the first vaccine dose will serve as a booster,
and the optimum time for that is nearly three months.

Canada seems to be behind the UK.

I suggest you explain your condition politely,
and have a para-medic sent to your home.
:lol:

:lmao:

:rotfl:

Sorry, but you are laboring under the assumption that the province of Alberta gives a damn about the disabled population. They won't even vaccinate the staff of a hospital that specializes in treating extremely vulnerable cancer patients.

And yeah, Canada's ranking in the world for how well the vaccinations are going has slipped. Badly. Right now the talk is partly on vaccinations and partly on the quarantine hotels being set up for Canadians who return home by air, vs. those who return home by land. Not one person in either the federal or provincial government is using anything approaching common sense.

We have always seen Canadians as practical unpretentious people with common sense.
Ah, you haven't read Valka's posts on Stephen Harper then.

Stephen Harper is Satan incarnate.

They won't even vaccinate the staff of a hospital that specializes in treating extremely vulnerable cancer patients.

Thats not really a fair assessment of the situation. They’ve established a priority list in a way that is determined to statistically have the biggest impact. Due to limited vaccines, some people that are “high priority” aren’t going to be first up on that list. Weird, minor edge cases don’t notably affect that.

FFS Argentina's president is already recoiling and saying that public opinion blasting that utter arsetard of a now former Health Minister who blundered the country into a crisis is unwarranted, staged demonisation.

It's not our fault that the health ministry decided to hijack thousands of vaccines to apply to party members, political operators, bagmen and money launderers in exchange for favours, nor is it that hundreds of doses at a time are being wasted because of improper storage when the vaccines are assigned to untrained party cadres on the basis of personal loyalty alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom