1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID - A light on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sendos, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

It’s not prisoners in Canadian prisons in general who are being prioritized, it’s only the 1.5% of prisoners who are deemed to be of highest risk due to both their age or pre-existing condition on top of living in a high-risk group setting.

“Let the highest-risk prisoners die so that I can get my vaccine five minutes sooner” isn’t a good hill to make a stand on.

Samson and Arwon like this.
  2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Yeah, prisoners with known risk factors should definitely be vaccinated, that's the equivalent of being someone in a nursing home with elevated risk factors. And it looks like roughly 40,000 people are incarcerated in Canada, so that works out to 600 people and 1200 doses. We lost almost that many in Ohio because some numbskull at a company helping with distribution forgot to make sure the fridge was set to the right temperature (that company is no longer involved in distribution).

Doing some math, based on Pfizer's committed 444,000 doses to Canada in March, Canada gets about 600 doses per hour (if it were evenly distributed, 24 hours per day), so it works out to a two hour delay, assuming only Pfizer is supplying vaccines. But Moderna also is and Johnson & Johnson and others may be by March, so it would be less than that, I just don't have the numbers for the other distributors. It will also likely be less than farther out you are in the priority queue, as shipments ramp up. My conclusion is that the average delay would be less than an hour, so I classify the "five minutes sooner" statement to be an exaggeration, but spiritually in the right ballpark even if it may be off by up to an order of magnitude in practice.

The_J likes this.
  3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

My napkin math differs based on some different assumptions:

1. Commitments are in the 500k/week region, not per month.
    2. I used 8 hours per day. That gets the most likely statistical delay, but ignores the average being pushed up by people getting vaccinated late in the day who’d get pushed to the next day.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Don't you bring race into this. :huh: I have no objection to the prioritizing of the reserves, since most of them have egregiously substandard health services, plumbing, clean water, and healthy food on a good day, never mind during a pandemic.

The individuals I mentioned are not aboriginal. I am not the only one who is disgusted by the idea that a serial murderer/rapist such as Paul Bernardo (his preferred prey was young teenage girls, one of whom was his own sister-in-law), Robert Pickton (known count of his victims was 49, who he raped, killed, dismembered, and fed to the pigs on his farm), or the Shafiya family (husband, son, and wife #2 collaborated in the drownings of wife #1 and the three oldest daughters for such trivial "offenses" as refusal to wear a hijab or wanting to have a boyfriend) would be prioritized over front-line workers in a hospital for cancer patients.

You can take your "math" and stuff it in the Marianas Trench.

I am done with both of you.

5. Valka D'Ur

If only our supremely idiotic, incompetent provincial governments subscribed to your "math."

Health care is a provincial/territorial responsibility, which means it's not equally available or accessible in all regions of the country. The Minister of Health in my province operates on the assumption that only Edmonton and Calgary matter, and the rest of the province should have no problem just driving to either city. When masking rules first went into effect here, packets of free masks were made available at the drive-thru windows of various fast-food restaurants "for the benefit of low-income people". Hello - many low-income/disabled people don't drive, and the actual restaurant part of the place isn't open!

You're assuming common sense exists in the governments of Canada, and right now it does not.

According to the "plan" on the Alberta website, the group of people I fall into should start receiving vaccines in April (previous estimate was September).

In reality, I will be surprised if I get mine this year. You don't seem to realize how incredibly STUPID the various federal and provincial governments have been in this country.

Right now the burning issue on the CBC news site is the quarantine hotels. They're compulsory for most people arriving by air. But somehow the virus can distinguish between a snowbird, an essential worker, someone traveling due to bereavement, work, education, or whether they're a refugee or TFW (temporary foreign worker). Only some of the people in these groups are being forced to stay three days in a quarantine hotel, and the rule is that they have to book their hotel BEFORE arriving in Canada, using a 1-800 phone number provided by the government. No online booking is allowed. And from the complaints in the comments, nobody is answering that phone number, either.

6. r16

r16 not deity

the math that rules supreme is the amount that will be pocketed and whatnot by the oft quoted elites . Having learned yesterday that because Elon Musk makes the same profits gained through a full year of Tesla cars in two weeks with Bitcoin , and the coronavirus forcing homeschooling , the computer prices have doubled in my country . And some chip maker announces it will ban this so-called mining with its products , but you know , in 2022 , when the fools have all been caught in the suppression of this particular bubble . And yes , ı pity people who will have to answer allegations of dates about vaccine availability . All it takes is a few people who will not play your game , to see your house of cards tumbling down you and cards suddenly changing into concrete slabs from the thin paper they were .

7. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Compare with the situation in the UK with Scottish quarantine applying to people flying
    direct to Scotland but not being applied to people who fly in via Dublin or Manchester.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...uarantine-scotland-travel-covid-b1802711.html

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Having to ask people if you can force vaccine passports is only a thing because we don't already use credits, like in Beneath A Steel Sky (sorry, reading r16 posts, so auto emulation distorts the console's output).

9. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

There are already amateurs and a developing industry busy producing fake vaccine certificates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ee6ed923-e00e-445b-8a98-7b9917178e30

The only way this can work is if a person's vaccine certificate details are held as a publicly
    displayable document for anyone in the world, with a smart phone, to see on a central computer
    system; that can be readily referenced by anybody merely by looking up the passport number.

The_J likes this.
  10. Samson

Samson Deity

We talked about this before, and it was pointed out to me that something like the current physical passport would also do the job.

If we make it a computer system accessible from all over the world that is a security nightmare waiting to happen. There is talk of a blockchain solution, but you know:
    Spoiler Blockchain :

GinandTonic, Kyriakos and The_J like this.
  11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Such systems already exist:

Do you drive a car? Does your car have a MOT certificate? When does that run out?

If you cannot remember you may merely visit the DVLA and type in your registration number.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

12. Snowygerry

Snowygerry Warlord

We'll just have to vaccinate everybody - not just own citizens, but neighbouring countries and frequently visited places too...

13. Samson

Samson Deity

Yeah, and I can also do that with your car (if I see the number plate). Are you happy with me doing that with your medical information (even if it is just vaccinated or not)?

The_J likes this.
  14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Yes; it is the same thing; an important public safety measure.

Quintillus likes this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

Fair enough. A lot of people are not.

16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

If people want to opt out, I would let them.

But I don't think there is any real point in developing alternative measures
    to be rolled out in parallel that would either be costly or prone to fraud.

17. Samson

Samson Deity

We could give everyone a physical object with their photo on that is hard to forge when they get their 2nd jab. No central server, no ongoing maintenance, no global distribution of PII. No duplication of effort.

18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

That means what, every healthcare worker administering a Covid vaccine has to be accompanied
    by a photographer or significantly reduce their throughput by stopping to take a photo themselves.

Primary purpose of UK (other state) vaccination is to cut the spread of Covid in the UK (other state);
    not facilitate international tourism. And a central vaccine record could include Yellow fever etc.

19. uppi

uppi Deity

The discussion about vaccination certificate forgery is mostly a sign that we should not lift restrictions for vaccinated people only, before everyone had the chance to be vaccinated.

If you have the option to get the vaccine, hopefully even for free, why would you go down the illegal, more costly route? Some may, but I doubt it would be very many. But if you are desperate and have no other option, a forgery might seem to be the only way.

The_J likes this.
  20. Valka D'Ur