1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID personal experiences

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bootstoots, Apr 3, 2020.

1. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

My hair is as now long as it’s been in almost 20 years.

If any of the Japanese staff at my company complain about me not going to get it cut, I will use a three-word phrase that includes the words “go” and “yourself.” The key word is in the middle!

red_elk likes this.
  2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Just think about the movie Papillon
    Walking in his cell a few steps all the time from wall to wall

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I fully agree.
    I think in the last 2 week I have at least chatted with 5 different "instances" each day (I have 4 more active whatsapp groups), nearly every second day I talk to my ex, and sometimes I have other random calls with friends. I'm feeling mentally surprisingly fine, despite that I haven't talked to anyone in person for 2 weeks.

Honestly, does it matter that much right now?

A friend of mine has a day rhythm of 24h+ (like me too). He gave up on everything. Last time we talked he said he went to bed at 7 AM and woke up at 4 PM. He's still working from home though.
    I try to maintain a constant daily rhythm, but for me that's going to bed at 1 AM and waking up at 11 AM. Kinda works. I'm saving the environment by not showering or wearing new clothes each day though, so that's me going slowly feral ^^.

yung.carl.jung, Hrothbern and amadeus like this.
  4. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Tango, tangor, ergo sum.
    "I touch, I am touched, so I am,"

A statement by the German philosopher Wilhelm Schmid (1953), who publishes a lot about love, happiness and art of living. A striking variation on cogito, ergo sum, I think, so I am. Schmid's quote is also liked to be quoted by haptotherapists and masseurs.

Skin hunger, the craving for physical contact. A baby feels that hunger from birth, lying on the warm skin of the mother.

Birdjaguar, yung.carl.jung and The_J like this.
  5. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

If anybody tries to tango with me right now they’re going to be sorry they did.

Hrothbern likes this.
  6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

"I just want to have a belief"

Sitting at the bar of a local pub, sipping my beer, I wake up and look to the left of me, a heap of misery sitting there
    "I just want to have something to believe in, you know"
    Not in the mood to talk I suggest just to follow our current strongman President
    "No, no... I am the victim type... I do not want to be a Superman or support them"
    As it happens the newspaper of that day has an article on the emergence of a new kind of shrinks: companies that do assessments to find the best fitting solace & self empowerment.
    Not the usual last hyped psychology, yoga or lifestyle trends, etc, but more like a "Total Recall" treat based on a scientific assessment... like some dating sites.
    The company "Find yourself in your true belief" advertising with the slogan: "Do you also feel victim of the world around you ? We have the perfect solution for you. Do our online scientific assessment test for only 10 USD or drop by for a full oneday roleplay assessment.

A couple of weeks later I see him again in a local shop. He is busy but gives me a big thanks before hurrying on.
    The next day I read in the newspapers:
    Bizarre, insane or last straw survival ?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This has been a persistent problem I've had since I started working from home.

Gorbles likes this.
  8. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

You need to restructure your time !
    and most of all make it visible

Just like with people in first phase dementia
    (they lose time structure awareness)
    Buy that big 20 inch railway clock, have that whiteboardand note your "meetings", etc. within eyesight, next to the TV or in line where you usually sit.

Your regular Wednesday online cards with friends.
    Your regular Friday evening binging online with your evening out friends. And do prep with drinks and snacks... sing together... get drunk together :)
    Make a walk at the same time just waving at some people (waiting for that) behind glass

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    hobbsyoyo and yung.carl.jung like this.
  9. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

the scariest thing about quarantine is how little everything has changed. yeah, I miss going to concerts, galleries, the theatre and my favorite restaurants and meeting friends, but aside from that next to nothing has changed for me. not really feeling any symptoms of isolation or craving social contact, just obsessively working on my personal projects. I still go out to the market, go take a walk, go to my favorite bakery every other day, have a chat, visit the cheesemaker, my routine seems hardly different. I'm not losing track of time, nor what day it is, and my sleeping schedule is only slightly worse than it usually is, but only because it was pretty screwed up already. this genuinely feels like a much needed vacation for me and I'm kinda into it. sorry for everyone who is suffering from quarantine, I hope things live up for you :)

Cutlass, Birdjaguar, Gorbles and 3 others like this.
  10. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Pretty much the same, I am the only one working before the outbreak which means our finances are a little more shaky then some but it also means our expenses are better managed already then most. Trying to work with the hospital on stretching out PTO days because all of the loss of our outpatient services. I'm good for probably 2 months and then I will have to revisit all this or start defaulting on non collateral debt.

The_J likes this.
  11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

My lived experience has been hijacked by normal people. It's been unamusing to see them lament their lot in life when, before, that lot was merely hypothetical and not something that existed. The isolation, inaccessibility, and the haranguing by their peers is just the standard for disabled people, yet in the past we've been almost universally ignored or had our issues downplayed. "It can't be that bad, surely you could just do x?" Our problems were abstract, the solutions unrealistic.

Now that they're facing some of the same problems, solutions are "simple," accessibility is a necessity, and things need to change. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and am not at all opposed to having my lot in life improved indirectly, but it's interesting that disabled people are still ignored through this. All the reliefs and changes are for the normal people, and we're still ignored.

This is largely understandable; after all, normal people make up the bulk, and disabled people aren't really contributors to society—while normal people very much are. So getting the normal folks back up to speed is integral. But it's still a bit grating to have an insurmountable, exaggerated experience suddenly become a very real thing that just needs to be addressed because able-bodied people are suddenly experiencing it themselves... and that despite the similarities, they're only intending to fix it for themselves and not for the people who've been stuck with that experience since, well, forever.

I either already had COVID-19 last month and I'll spend months recovering from it, or I've yet to have it and it'll kill me if or when I do get it.

12. r16

r16 not deity

being a loser loner somehow greatly helps . Short of a total lockdown my life hasn't changed the slightest . Buy the bread , do the shopping , my mother was unhappy with me going out to buy the newspaper so its lack does great things to my bloodpressure , so can't call that a loss .

klar_heiland, Hrothbern and The_J like this.
  13. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I’ve been seeing an increase in online orders. I’m fortunate enough to be in the retail sector that is slated essential (big box hardware store).

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I had a nasty cough a couple of days ago. The kind I get almost every winter but called my GP just in case.
    Stayed home and observed symptoms. Better now, and no other typical covid symtoms.
    Probably just because of the cold weather and smoking indoors.
    Still scared me enough to shave my beard because facial hair is a good virus storage.

I might just shave my head too. Not because of hygiene, but because long-haired men look silly if they don't have a beard.

The_J and Hrothbern like this.
  15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Good time to stop smoking anything, shave the beard and get that blood pressure under control.

Breakfast time. Oats sigh.

16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Without fresh fruit, berries, etc:

Oats with sugar
    Oats with cane sugar
    Oats with brown sugar
    Oats with dark syrups
    Oats with raisins
    Oats with prunes (dried and then soaked in water) (main food for Dutch Republic sailors including the ones that discovered New Zealand, the oats also barley. )
    Oats with apricots (dried and then soaked in water)
    Oats with sugar and cinnamon
    Oats with dried powdered apple fibre (super healthy ofc)

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Zardnaar
    With Almond slivers
    With chopped pecans
    With chopped walnuts
    With granola
    With fresh apples
    With cinnamon

With any of these and Hrothbern's in various combinations. :D

Hrothbern likes this.
  18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Heh don't eat them plain.

They're flavored and I eat them with fresh blueberries or canned peaches.

Have canned blueberries as well.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

And don't forget that salt is a taste amplifier !
    That's why so much salt is addedt into commercial bread.
    And if you are afraid to eat too much salt... which is really very difficult to achieve when cooking yourself with unprocessed ingredients... you can use salt with one-third Sodium chloride and two-thirds Potassium chloride (and if possinble buy it with Iodine)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

You forgot milk powder! :)

El_Machinae and Hrothbern like this.