Coward in Chief Blows Off Centennial Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, last WW1 veteran died 7 years ago.
Holding "remembrance ceremonies" when there's no one around any more who actually would remember anything feels somewhat... superficial to me.
I find it hard to be morally outraged here, considering I didn't attend a special ceremony for that occasion either.

That does not mean I approve of Trumps' decision to not attend, I simply doubt it should even be counted among his "10 worst decisions of the week" or whatever.

Another somewhat amusing example:
There's still a few people kicking around who lived long enough to lose a parent or two in WW1 at a young age, even if the veterans have all passed away.

PDMA is never permissable.
Thats not what rhetorical question means. Please stop trying to waste my time.
Breaking one of my own rules here - getting a definition from Wikipedia - but I've checked the source. As usual with Wiki definitions, it doesn't really match, but it's close enough.

"A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked to make a point rather than to elicit an answer."

Your point would make a lot more sense if I had defined what a rhetorical question was in my original post. Too bad I didn't. I was seeking answers, although I admit I don't think you actually bark at dogs. I still would like to know wtf you were on about though.

I'd ask you to actually answer the questions I asked, but...

Do us a favor and go to sleep then.
I see you now have a lot more free time on your hands. LMAO.

Back on topic, I agree with @Patine above.

My impression is that WW-related events considered important in Europe and much less so in America. USA didn't go through occupation, genocide or firebombing, didn't lose millions of people unlike Europe, Russia, China or Japan. So it's more like just another historical event for them. I wouldn't expect Trump or Obama to keep the same standards as Putin or Merkel here.

He couldn't be bothered to visit a cemetery, because he would have had to drive there. And it was raining.

Words can't even convey what a disgrace this is.
If rain prevents you from commemorating the fallen, then so much the worse for the rain.

My impression is that WW-related events considered important in Europe and much less so in America. USA didn't go through occupation, genocide or firebombing, didn't lose millions of people unlike Europe, Russia, China or Japan. So it's more like just another historical event for them. I wouldn't expect Trump or Obama to keep the same standards as Putin or Merkel here.

If rain prevents you from commemorating the fallen, then so much the worse for the rain.

In the US, WWII is a much more important part of our national identity then WWI is. Rightly or wrongly, we see WWII as "our war". Now it is true that the US didn't suffer, in either war, to the extent that many of the European nations did. And that no nation suffered as Russia did.

That said, this event isn't about the US. This is about Trump. Any other person in Trump's place this weekend would have acted differently. Doesn't matter party affiliation, doesn't matter ideology, really, nothing matters, other than that the person be not-Trump. Trump simply doesn't care about things which are not-Trump. And this was a glaring example of that.

The ceremonial duties of the president of the US may be less codified than those of other national leaders. But POTUS is head of state and head of government of the richest and most powerful nation in the world. When he fails to act in that capacity, it is both an insult to us all, Americans and all of the other peoples of nations involved, but he's also acting in a way that undermines the US. For now all those peoples and nations which have looked to the US to lead, they trust and respect us less than they did.

In the US, WWII is a much more important part of our national identity then WWI is. Rightly or wrongly, we see WWII as "our war". Now it is true that the US didn't suffer, in either war, to the extent that many of the European nations did. And that no nation suffered as Russia did.
Thank you. Of course WW2 was a US war too.
US effort and contribution is remembered in Russia regardless of our post-war and current relations.

Japan and China lost far less soldiers in the FIRST World War in total than Canada (not even including the massacres on the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Gallipoli and the Somme, as Newfoundland wasn't politically part of Canada at that time). The captures of the Kwantung Lease and the German Marianas were a cakewalk as military endeavours went in that conflict. But, I guess your history sources tell you differently about Japan and China's involvement, and casualties, in that particular war, distorting them grossly and deceptively misinforming you - for some reason...

Well, that's no fair comparison; Putin doesn't have to worry about his hair.

Being Putin, he could have gone with the Hawaii solution. When I lived in Hawaii there was a fairly regular confluence of events that would have me standing at the apartment door with a sack of garbage destined for the dumpster, looking out into the rain. The long term downside of carrying out the expected task involved having to come back in the house with my shirt all wet. But since it was Hawaii the simple 'remove shirt and hang it on the doorknob prior to leaving the shelter of the building' was a viable option. 'Shirtless Putin commemorates the fallen, then wrestles a boar' would make a fine headline.

Japan and China lost far less soldiers in the FIRST World War in total than Canada
I mentioned Japan and China for their huge losses in WW2, which should be obvious from my message.

But, I guess your history sources tell you differently about Japan and China's involvement, and casualties, in that particular war, distorting them grossly and deceptively misinforming you - for some reason...
About Japanese and Chinese involvement in WW1?

Ohhhkay, we need a Godwin's Law kind of thing about threads like this one inevitably arriving at Canadian nationalism.

This violates the "don't be a jerk" rule.
Ohhhkay, we need a Godwin's Law kind of thing about threads like this one inevitably arriving at Canadian nationalism.
What are you babbling about? Oh, I forgot, your the poster who spews nothing but incendiary, provocative, and testy posts mixed with ominously-sounding and self-righteous nonsense and gibberish, so I suppose there's no more real substance to this post either.

Moderator Action: This post is unnecessarily rude, crossing the line between criticising one's posts and attacking the poster themselves. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait, what? Canadian nationalism?

Oh...maybe the link in post 23 I guess. I didn't follow that one to see where it went.

Being Putin, he could have gone with the Hawaii solution. When I lived in Hawaii there was a fairly regular confluence of events that would have me standing at the apartment door with a sack of garbage destined for the dumpster, looking out into the rain. The long term downside of carrying out the expected task involved having to come back in the house with my shirt all wet. But since it was Hawaii the simple 'remove shirt and hang it on the doorknob prior to leaving the shelter of the building' was a viable option. 'Shirtless Putin commemorates the fallen, then wrestles a boar' would make a fine headline.
So it's okay when it's a shirt, but when I take my garbage out without pants I spend four hours answering questions with a lawyer present.

Wait, what? Canadian nationalism?
What?
You didn't know that was a thing?
Pretty much every nation has nationalism.

Plus: Erm... not sure how to put it, but you guys screw up rather frequently, no offense. Have you ever thought what kind of complex one could end up in just by living next to that? :)

I mentioned Japan and China for their huge losses in WW2, which should be obvious from my message.

About Japanese and Chinese involvement in WW1?
The whole chain of conversation was previously about the FIRST World War, but a separate reference to the SECOND World War, slipped into the same stream of conversation is OBVIOUSLY a change of reference, even where that would be jarring, and defeat the point of a much smaller stake and involvement in the war (which would apply to a notable degree to the U.S. in the First, but nearly so much in the second), is supposed to automatically be obvious as a reference (or stated as such because you're too conceited to admit your post's message's portrayal was in error, not my comprehension).

So it's okay when it's a shirt, but when I take my garbage out without pants I spend four hours answering questions with a lawyer present.

Pants...actually, board shorts which are the Hawaii equivalent, are designed to be worn wet. Shirts get all clingy when they are wet. Obvious common knowledge that no doubt makes such a case as yours difficult to defend. I'm surprised your lawyer hung in for four hours.

What?

Plus: Erm... not sure how to put it, but you guys screw up rather frequently. Have you ever thought what kind of complex one could end up in just by living next to that? :)
Yes, every nation (after the late-19th/early 20th Century) has nationalism. But I fail to see how Canadian nationalism is relevant here.

What?

Plus: Erm... not sure how to put it, but you guys screw up rather frequently, no offense. Have you ever thought what kind of complex one could end up in just by living next to that? :)

Oh, I know it's a thing, I just hadn't noticed this thread running into it. I did go back and look though and acknowledged that I might have found some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom