1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CPU fix for Civ II MGE 1.3 on Windows 7 32-bit ???

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by vengeanceis, May 10, 2010.

1. vengeanceis

vengeanceis Chieftain

I've always been playing Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition on my XP laptop.

Now I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
    Game installs fine, patched to 1.3, applied no-cd patch fine - the game runs fine, but CPU is at 100% always - and the old CPU-usage fix doesn't work:

1) the one from Tim? http://tim.strafenet.com/civ2.html (a single civ2.exe with couple of rerouted jumps) crashes with "civ2.exe stopped working";

2) Till's CPU-throttle.zip - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6831087&postcount=72 - the inject.exe fails with "The process could not be loaded" error.

I tried mastermind's xp64 patch, but that doesn't solve the 100% CPU usage problem.

Catfish, help me. you should know.

The game w/o CPU fix runs ok. But it kindof pisses me off to see cpu at 100%, having my old laptop overheat, and drains battery too..

Ok, hopefully someone has the answer...

2. j13h

j13h Chieftain

2) till's works for windows 7 32/64 i have no problem using it. (just it dont work multiplayer)
    the error "the process can not be loaded" can be fixed by doing following:
    first time:
    1:install cpu-throttle in same directory as you have civilization installed (say yes when/if asked if you want to overwrite existing files)
    2:make start.bat and inject.exe file run in windows 95 combitable mode
    3:edit start.bat to look like this: (except with your civilization directory is not mine example: d:\oldgames\civ2 )
    cd C:\GAMES\CIV2
    Inject.exe C:\GAMES\CIV2\civ2.exe
    4: run start.bat as administrator

3. Jarek Noschese

Jarek Noschese Chieftain

N
    nope, sorry. I CAN'T run the "batch" file in compatibility mode, and "inject" STILL says "can't be loaded".