CPU is running extremely hot on new machine

Hello,

I recently bought an Alienware Aurora R7. Whenever I play this game, the fans frequently start blowing really loud. The other day, I decided to download MSI Afterburner, and discovered that my CPU temp is reaching 90+ degrees Celsius at times. Is this normal? Is there anyway to reduce the temp?

Specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7 8700 processor
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
  • 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4
  • 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • Windows 10 Home

Hello,

I recently bought an Alienware Aurora R7. Whenever I play this game, the fans frequently start blowing really loud. The other day, I decided to download MSI Afterburner, and discovered that my CPU temp is reaching 90+ degrees Celsius at times. Is this normal? Is there anyway to reduce the temp?

Specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7 8700 processor
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
  • 16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4
  • 128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • Windows 10 Home
Fastest way to find out would be to call 1-800- Alienware There support should give you better advice than we on this forum can. FWIW that seems a high temp

You should definitely investigate further (contact support, etc.) as that's really high for a non-k chip running only Civ VI. Those 8700 hexa-core chips do run a little hot even when liquid cooled (which, I think the R7 is), but 60° would be closer to what I'd expect and I'd say 70° would be on the high end.

Top Bottom