Cqc Impressions

Valencia

Chieftain
Hello to everybody,

I have posted this very thread in the Utility forum by mistake, so maybe you have read the following:

Yesterday I received CQC via Amazon. Inmediatly I opened the box and read the manual. I was dissapointed when I read that PTW is included in CQC. Why? Is CQC a minor update of PTW with a better multiplayer mode and a few improvements? Why Firaxis (or Atari) don't include these improvements in patchs? So now I realized that I have spent around 30 € for PTW a year ago and now I have it again.
I hope that Firaxis will change its policy about new releases (Civ4?) and future expansions. I remember when Civ3 was under development that the plan was to include a multiplayer support in a patch, not in any expansion (PTW or CQC).
Also the number of civilizations included in the Civ3 original was really short compared with Civ2, and they had the knowledge to include a multiplayer support as it was available for Civ2MGE or Civ2ToT.

Regards to all Civ gamers.

I agree that it felt strange to read about the PTW items as though they were new.

But Conquerors is much much better than PTW.

the scenarios are great and like new games.

Originally posted by Valencia
Also the number of civilizations included in the Civ3 original was really short compared with Civ2,

That's unfair.. Civ2 civs had no differences but the name ! Civ3 have different units, different graphics, and different traits... :)

Originally posted by Valencia
I was dissapointed when I read that PTW is included in CQC. Why? Is CQC a minor update of PTW with a better multiplayer mode and a few improvements? Why Firaxis (or Atari) don't include these improvements in patchs? So now I realized that I have spent around 30 € for PTW a year ago and now I have it again.
Actually PTW was the minor update, that many think *should* have been a patch. ;) Conquests involved some major rewriting of the game engine, I believe.

C3C "requires" PTW to be playable, but they didn't want to have to force all Civ3 players to buy PTW in order to play Conquests, so they included the *core game* of PTW on the CD. IF you bought PTW, you got many *other* things, mostly fan-supplied, that were not included in Conquests.

Well, I'm not sure what the relative cost in US dollars is that you paid; however, it only costs about $20 in the States and I think that's a reasonable price for the various tweaks to the epic game, the addition of a few more wonders, the addition of several new civs, and the addition of the terrific scenarios. That's well worth what amounts to less than a night at the bar, an evening at the movies, or one modestly priced meal at a nice restaurant.

I didn't write anything about money, but Firaxis/Atari/before MicroProse policy with their games updates.

With Civ2 it was virtually impossible to get a Spanish and some other main languages patch. For this reason I buy all Civ products in English. Fortunately it has changed with Civ3 (after some "forum strikes").

But, why release twice the same product? Because PTW was not so good? Well, they told the otherwise, even when multiplayer mode was a odissey.

I'm a Civ fanatic with Civ2 Classic, Civ2MGE, Civ2ToT, Alpha Centauri, Civ3, Play the World, Conquest, Call to Power and Call to Power 2.

Neverthless, I have to admit that Civ3 + PTW/Conquest is a very, very good game, better by far than the other games that I have wrote before. The WWII Pacific scenario is very impressive.

My point is it's not the same product... at least, Conquests isn't. If you're complaint is with the rather lackluster in hindsight PTW, I can understand that.

Top Bottom