1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash to desktop, but no error message?

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by zl_Guppy_lz, Jun 29, 2015.

1. zl_Guppy_lz

zl_Guppy_lz Chieftain

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has encountered some sort of "bug" where you crash to desktop, but you receive no error message. I have this problem and is there a fix? It always happens on a certain turn right. So i can not advance in my game. Thanks!

2. zl_Guppy_lz

zl_Guppy_lz Chieftain

Like its at the same exact turn every time

3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Please upload a save from right before it happens, and it might get fixed.
    It might already be fixed in the SVN, so you could try that before uploading a save here (or rather in the bug thread).

4. zl_Guppy_lz

zl_Guppy_lz Chieftain

Thanks for the response. I have fixed the problem. From a combination of reloading the save until i find a spot that wouldn't crash when i got to that turn and a little looking at the crash dump I got it. I'd have to say reloading the save repeatedly until the "right save" was found worked. Even if it was 50 turns back.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You may have fixed the problem for your game but denied us the ability to hunt it down and solve it. Ah well. We'll find it again I'm sure.

6. Kokuryutei

Kokuryutei Chieftain

Good day, Great Demiurges.

I apologize to you in advance, but I don't know in what topic I need to explain this problem. Therefore, I am compelled to write about it in this discussion thread of bugs. The essence of my problem was rather trivial - the game crashes to the desktop at that moment, when I pass the turn to AI Civs. Once I complete the turn, after 6-7 seconds CTD will follow. I tried everything: download save on 2-3 moves ago, activated viewpoints, windowed mode and minimum graphics settings and disable animations. These steps don't work and crashes continued on the same turn. Guys, please help me.
    I played until the middle of the Transhuman era and I am very sad to leave the passing of your wonderful modifications due to some stupid game error!

The output on the game and the save are here:
    - Single player Civ 4 BTS with last patch + C2C [v.32]*;
    - Huge worldmap with 12 civs;
    - Viewpoints were activated (100x100 tiles);
    - Middle of Transhuman Era - approximately one-third of the game passed (more than 3000 turns);
    View attachment Mini Dump file.7z

View attachment Logs.7z

View attachment Zero.7z
    *Note: I now play Caveman to Cosmos mod [v.32] (July 2014), because I'd like to explore all the game features before downloading the SVN version
    and later.

Thank You in advance, I hope that there will be able to solve this problem with CTD errors.

7. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

1st, try reducing Viewport settings to 40 x 40. 100 x 100 is too large. Make sure that you still have Graphical paging On.

2nd, version 32....hmm......updating to version 35 would probably fix your CTD but would alter what you've discovered and learned so far. World of difference between C2C at v32 and last Official release of v35 (which of itself is now a year+ old).

3rd, that you made it to the middle of the TH Era on v32 IS a Major accomplishment in itself! :thumbsup::clap::hatsoff: Congratulations for getting that far. :D :cooool:

4th, and the bad news, Sourceforge that holds all the mods versions and current modifications for v36 is down. :( This will hinder getting a speedy fix, if at all possible.

Finally, Welcome to the C2C forum. :)

JosEPh

8. Kokuryutei

Kokuryutei Chieftain

1) It's a pity, I tried to reduce the size to 40x40, however, the game still continued to crash to the desktop. Neither the existence of the swap file or change settings, or even the presence of 16 GB of RAM didn't help to fix error.

2) Honestly, I thought about the upgrade the game to v.36 or v.37. I also know that in later versions of the game recalculates the data from the old save, but... the fact that I'm with classmates, made a translation into native language for version 32. I doubt that about the fact that Japanese Kanji from the old version safely coexist with the original text from the latest version. There is a risk that when converting data from old save fonts will turn into incomprehensible gibberish. And throw the old game after so many months isn't very desirable.

...4) Oh , I'm in mourning... I'm not too versed in the game code in order to independently detect a failed process leading to CTD. Even if I was able to find it, I still will not be enough for my modest knowledge to fix fatal error.

However, if the forum no one can help with my problem - thanks anyway. Hardly anyone else has a similar situation with a homemade Japanese version of the C2C.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

If you would be willing to attempt the SVN version you'll probably find the crash is fixed. There are very few if any crash spots in the code at this point. There were probably a number of them on the version you're on. I know it means having to re-install the translation (which we'd be interested in including in the main mod if it was done properly - Just adding a new language <Kanji> to the list on each text tag should work) but without taking that step to the SVN version, there's not much that can be done to assist here.

10. Kokuryutei

Kokuryutei Chieftain

All you have said is really true. I'm not the only one who tried to translate the mod. On the Internet I found a homemade translations for German and Spanish, and Korean. But, first, these translations were incomplete and it was there that he translated only the Tech tree and the names of cities/civilizations/leaders, units, buildings, terrain types, etc. Secondly, these translations were relatively old versions of C2C mod (two or three years ago).
    But the latest version added new articles in the Civilopedia, units and technologies, which also would be worth to translate into native language. I just did a Japanese translation a year ago for v.32. I'll try to install the latest version on the notebook as an experiment, and then replace the original text in my text files with translation. But...I'd like to know where to find the texts from the latest version, then translate it into Japanese? I know that the updates for the SVN C2C now loaded almost every day, but I would prefer to translate only the names of the new units/buildings and technologies.

Once again, thank you for your attention.

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The texts are located almost entirely in Assets/XML/Text. Most are nicely segmented into files for specific objects like buildings and such (though not with 100% reliability).

12. Kokuryutei

Kokuryutei Chieftain

Well, I got it. In such a case I'll go to translate descriptions for new objects, and then test the result.

Thank you very much for the information.