1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crashes while starting game (Steam)

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Technical Support' started by Oberon4278, Jan 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Oberon4278

Oberon4278 Chieftain

Hi, Colonization is crashing as soon as I try to start a game. I just click the Play Now option, and as soon as I see the screen to pick a leader it crashes.

Things I've tried:

Verifying integrity of local files. For some reason this always says at least one local file needs to be reacquired.
    Reinstalling.
    Lowering graphics settings.
    Running in compatibility mode for every version of Windows down to XP SP2.

Here's the crash in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: Colonization.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x53869b24
    Faulting module name: CvGameCoreDLL.dll, version: 0.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5367310a
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00093410
    Faulting process id: 0xe88
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4b0cc7d04816d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization\Colonization.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll
    Report Id: c6bcc53e-1cbf-11e9-82e2-10c37b6e782a
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Exception code 0xc0000005 is an access violation error. Not sure how to find out what's at offset 0x00093410 without having access to the code, or to a compilation with debug symbols included.

DX Diagnosis included. This has been driving me crazy for a while now, it's preventing me from contributing to development of my favorite mod. Any help would really be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Chieftain Supporter

Do not install games in C:\Program Files...
    If you do in Windows versions starting with XP and newer then the game expects to have administrator rights.
    You could try to run the game using administrator rights, but better install games somewhere different, e.g. I use M:\Steam\... to install my Steam games.