crashing on a mac after the 'pc' bnw update

Vikinghammer2

Chieftain
i owned this game since 2010 on mac and never experienced a single crash. and im playing on native mac os. but since the most recent bnw 'pc' update my game has crashed 4 times today. has anybody had this issue. is it steam thats crashing or the game. i just did a steam file validation and my game is working. whats going on?

Hi, welcome :Wavey:

I can't see how this could be affected by the patch, unless you are trying to play games that have been saved in the Windows patched version. Has anything else happened on your system at the same time?

yeah it's weird and makes no sense at all:) i did not play for a few days before the patch and then i played yesterday and noticed that my video setting went back to default. and it just started crashing. i even left it on the default settings.

I have experienced the same thing. The game crashes in one of the leader screens. Playing on Mac OS and steam downloaded when I first started the game today. I can see that the game is updated through some gui changes, but as expected I do not get the BNW content yet (European :))

Since Steam downloaded a patch on 9th July 2013, each time a Leader announces me anything the game stucks, GUI is gone and the only option left is to "Quit Civ V" from the Mac OS menu bar. I was playing in window mode, I suppose I would have to reboot were I playing full screen.

This is horrible, anyone knows is there is or will be a fix to this?

Hi. Same problem here.
Haven't played for about 7 days, and suddently I get stuck with the first or second leader-screen..5 times now today - same place everytime - Isabella of Spain.. Yours?

I cannot access the menu, but click on the answers to Isabella, with sound and graphical response, but it stays stuck.. and I have to force-quit by the alt+cmd+esc prompt..

Another weird thing is the mouse icon.. somehow it has gotten inverted so that it shows the point arrow, when the AI is doing stuff and the thinking wheely-thing when I'm in control. Don't know if this has got to do with the same problem..

Hope somebody will fix this.. I'm going to start a lot of different games now to see if the problem persistently is with Isabella or leader-screens in general..

I just fired up Steam on my Mac (I seldom do so these days), and it downloaded a patch. It appears to have updated a lot of the content of the app package.

I suspect that Steam is not distinguishing between Mac and Windows versions of the game, and it's downloading the pre-BNW Windows patch to Macs, which would probably be a disaster! I'm checking further, but if this is the case, then your best bet is probably either to wait for Steam to fix the problem, or to try to roll the application back using Time Machine - you do have Time Machine, don't you?

How did Civ5 get BACK to 1.0.1.994? It's been 1.0.2.44 since G&K was released. My AppStore version is still 1.0.2.44, but my Steam version has switched to 1.0.1.994, and I'm pretty sure this happened as a result of the download today.

Weirder and weirder!

I think I'll just go and bury my head until you guys get this sorted out. I have a Civ5 SG going at the moment with Windows players, as a training exercise, and I can continue to play that in Parallels/WinXP/Steam until the dust settles on the Mac versions.

Are people having crashes on new games as well as on loaded up pre-patch saves? I was having issues with leader screens crashing me to desktop and leaving no User interface which I had to force quit on, this was on a loaded game in the atomic era from pre-patch. Also had a graphical error on the cursor at the start of the turn with it staying stuck on the little golden globe icon indicating processing turns. However a new game didn't seem to have any issues although I didn't play for very long I got to the Medieval Age on standard speed before giving up.

Are people having crashes on new games as well as on loaded up pre-patch saves? I was having issues with leader screens crashing me to desktop and leaving no User interface which I had to force quit on, this was on a loaded game in the atomic era from pre-patch. Also had a graphical error on the cursor at the start of the turn with it staying stuck on the little golden globe icon indicating processing turns. However a new game didn't seem to have any issues although I didn't play for very long I got to the Medieval Age on standard speed before giving up.

I can confirm. I played a new game up to Modern Era and I didn't have any issues either. It's a game as Maria Theresa. The old games I had the issue with were all pre-patch loaded games.

I had my problems with games started pre-patch, loaded after patching. Got stuck in leader screens, but eventually were able to finish the game by using default video settings, full screen and playing in strategic view - it seemed to help.

Will try a new game after patch later today.

This all sounds rather like the problems PC players had with the pre-BNW patch last week. People playing old saves were getting freezes in the diplo screens. A hot fix was issued to address that.

I had my problems with games started pre-patch, loaded after patching. Got stuck in leader screens, but eventually were able to finish the game by using default video settings, full screen and playing in strategic view - it seemed to help.

Will try a new game after patch later today.

Yes, It seems to be an issue with old saves. At least for me it works in a new game started after the patch.

Here's the answer of Aspyr Technical Support, they confirm this issue happens only with pre patch games loaded after patch:

Ticket #23554: GUI disables after Leader contacts in Civ V G&K v1.0.1.994 (1...

Your request (#23554) has been updated.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
http://support.aspyr.com/tickets/23554

You can also add a comment by replying to this email.

Aspyr Technical Support, Jul 10 04:34 pm (CDT):

Thank you for providing us with the requested information. This issue has been logged with our developers to be resolved in an upcoming update and only occurs with save games started before yesterday's update. At this time, we can only recommend starting a new game to bypass the error.

Thank you.
Aspyr Support

alfa666, Jul 10 12:49 pm (CDT):

Here are the files requested. The autosave shows the exact moment the issue
happens, on the regular save you have to play one or two turns for an AI to
contact you.
Thanks for your help.

Attachment(s)
0ldAutoSave_0173 AD-1130.Civ5Save
MacBook Pro.spx
Dido_0172 AD-1120.Civ5Save

ok, glad I'm not the only one, I'm having the exact same problem described above, the game freezes on leader screens (doesn't matter who). In my case, I'm loading a saved game file, GOTM #64: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=499621

I haven't purchased Brave New World yet, this happens while playing Gods & Kings.

Do we have to wait for a new update, or is there a solution in the meantime?

Please make sure you're on default graphics settings[/URL]

I find this a little baffling, given what the default settings are. "Hi, we see that you're running a 680MX there, but let's pick graphic settings that the HD 4000 can handle. Sound good?"

Top Bottom